It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Gun Prohibition. What would be in your weapons cache?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

Thanks those are just the links I need to try and reverse this crazy situation!

On Christmas eve I was in a road rage incident, some drunken gypsies were throwing stuff from a truck and I must have offended them by looking twice . I was stuck in traffic with them closing in, gesturing, shouting, generally being threatening. I had my young family on board and I could actually foresee them seeing their father beaten within an inch of his life. I chose to flee as the traffic parted and lived to tell another tale, but it struck me at the time that I needed a conceal carry weapon ready to be drawn, but because the law is an ass I could soon be dead!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tilpah

I think you are being a bit literal. You can carry a knife about in the UK – I have a knife when I go fishing – but routinely carrying a knife about without a reason is not appropriate and quite right too. The police would take a dim view of a drug dealer carrying a knife and would probably want a good explanation from anyone who was found in possession of a knife outside of a context. If you really want to wander around with a knife then the vast majority of people in the UK would suggest you did it in your kitchen.

You can own a gun in the UK but just need to show that you have a legitimate reason for such ownership. My brother has a shotgun license and (interestingly) shoots pheasants. If you just want a gun for the sake of it then tough.

The rules are just fine as they are.

Regards

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
They can’t even own pointy knives for god sakes.
If you get caught out in public carrying a knife with a blade over 3 inches long, you go to jail!!!!!!

That just shows how stupid politicians are. Tip a pin with something special, and someone is done.

Control is nothing but a false veil. When it's time, the peasants will rise.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
reply to post by tilpah

The rules are just fine as they are.

I might regret posting this, but I legally own two shotguns, a .410 and a 12 bore. I could regret stating that because there are those in authority that would set the alarm bells ringing. Some nut is posting about caching weaponry in case a WROL situation arises in the UK and he has been given a gun licence

This thread is enough to ensure I never get my licence renewed if someone decides to make it so.

if you think our laws are fine as they are Parapi, then they already brainwashed you and I suggest you follow the advice above and google re-arming Britain. As a kid I used to carry a 5 inch bladed sheaf knife, we all did and we were always hacking away at bits of wood and playing a game called stitch where you throw the knife in the ground where you can reach to pull it out and someone facing you had to put their foot to it, and then throw one, it was a bit like twister, we fell over a lot, but never got cut. Trying a game like that would result in an armed swat team arriving on your back lawn.

You will be fine carrying a knife in the countryside, unill you are challenged, try it in town and you will be in a cell for a night, you just haven't been caught yet. The fact you think you are doing nothing wrong means there might still be hope for you, you aren't doing anything wrong carrying a bigger than legal knife, the law is wrong.

edit on 26-12-2010 by tilpah because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2010 by tilpah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tilpah
if you think our laws are fine as they are Parapi, then they already brainwashed you and I suggest you follow the advice above and google re-arming Britain.

Thanks, but just because I hold a contrary view as you does not mean I am brainwashed. In fact, the reverse may be true if you rely on Google-search-provided websites to form your worldview. "Re-arming Britain"! Was the British population ever armed? No, it was not.

The law on gun ownership may be draconian for people who want to own a gun for the sake of it, but for the majority who think guns should be tightly controlled the current legislation is just fine. If the rule of law collapsed in the UK (I assume that’s what you mean by WROL) then I would be quite happy not to have half the population taking pot-shots at me when I go to the shop.

On knives, I think you are letting you imagination take you over. If you carry a knife in the UK without a good reason – i.e. you are carrying for some macho fantasy reason or because you are doing things where a knife may be handy (i.e. dealing drugs, mugging), then I think the authorities should deal with you. The law outlaws certain types of knife (e.g. flick knives) because of their association with crime, but if you are stopped by the police and are found to have a knife in your possession and have a reasonable explanation, then the police cannot touch you. You should read upon the legislation and the rationale behind it. I would not for a minute suggest you did a Google search, but perhaps you go straight to source...

Criminal Justice Act 1988 - Try Part XI and use the website's own search facility to reseach what is / is not legal / illegal in the UK.

Regards

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Paraphi; There was no gun control in Britain until 1920. The country was full of guns and people who could afford them were free to keep them lying around the house or in their pocket. The British public were armed to the teeth!!!

Check out all the patents registered to London and Birmingham gunmakers and you will realise just how many gun designs came from the UK due to the massive demand for guns here. It's part of our heritage and now the Olympic pistol team can't even practice shooting in their own country! Pathetic!!!

Full story here

Gun related crime dropped in the USA when they passed laws allowing concealed carry of firearms.

I'm guessing you are too young to remember the freedoms you have already lost regarding knives.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have two weapons, pictured here, the one on the left can be easily sharpened in case of emergency.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1988f86b185a.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Actually, if you were confronted by a person or saw someone that was going to commit an act that endangers human life, (like pointing a gun at you or another person). Then you are legally allowed to shoot a person to kill. Be this with a shotgun, pistol whatever.

Thats UK law and a human right.

However, you would not be charged for murder, but you would be charged for having the weapon in the first place, which, is probably about the same severity as murder anyway.

--------------------

I would have in my underground shelter (whilst preparing for the apocalypse like any other male hobbyist):

4x Beretta 93r's
1x G36
1x L96
1x Barret .50 cal

Loads of ammo for the above (including mixed rounds for the 50 cal)

20 HE Grenades
20 Stun Grenades
20 Tear Gas Grenades

Various combat knifes
Tactical OSPREY armour

A armoured vehicle (safely stowed underground) - possible a APC of sorts.

----------------------------------

Now thats pretty extreme but i'd love to have a collection like that.

The Crossbows in earlier posts look AWESOME, bit pricey but they look great.

Also, many airsofting weapons can be made into real round firing weapons, take a look on youtube, loads on there.
edit on 26/12/10 by johnyelland1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tilpah

Historically, UK gun ownership has been low. In the dim and distant past there were rights to own weapons (even before firearms), hence the strong traditions with weapons like the longbow. The changes started to happen during the Napoleonic wars due to the large numbers of firearms washing around and the associated problems thereof. In fact, the Vagrancy Act of 1824 sought to address "weapons" including knives and swords as well as firearms where there was criminal intent.

The later Firearms Act 1920 was a reaction to the country being awash with firearms following the Great War.

This was not about "disarming" the population. It was about taking out of circulation firearms that had been introduced largely as war booty.

If you want to play with knives then do so in your own home.

Regards

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree here. I think the people should be trusted to own all types of weapons as they are in USA but you don't trust your fellow countrymen.

When I'm not hunting, or busting clays my shotguns stay locked away, I will be relying on a baseball bat if the bad guys come to call. I'm setting myself up for prison if I leave my guns out.

Knives are tools, i use them for my work which travel in a tool box, I use inferior ones than are available to carry for hunting or shooting because otherwise I go to jail if stopped and searched.

Meanwhile the criminals that don't care can access as many weapons as they want and use them unchallenged because the rest of us are unlikely to be armed.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tilpah
Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree here. I think the people should be trusted to own all types of weapons as they are in USA but you don't trust your fellow countrymen.

I'll agree to disagree then.

However, the UK has a very low homicide rate, especially where guns are concerned. There is a correlation between gun crime and guns in circulation. It is not that I don't trust my fellow countrymen, it is just that the evidence shows that the more guns in circulation equates to an increased chance of being killed by one.

The current UK approach is correct.

Regards

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Paraphi,
I spent time in your country in 1998. I found it fascinating that by August of that year, London authorities had confiscated 1000's of firearms off their streets and I believe that trend continues today. Therefore your country is not truly disarmed of firearms. What your your government has accomplished is the disarming of those that follow the laws. This in turn helps to explain articles like the attached that describe the UK as the most violent of societies.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It was mentioned by an earlier poster but all the states in the US that have recently enacted a right to carry concealed firearm law have seen significant drops in violent crime. I am attaching an interesting read supporting the right to carry in the state of Missouri but many of the statistics apply to other states.

www.moccw.org...

Enjoy,

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I'm afraid that just isn't true.

Have a look at Switzerland

In some 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550 types. Additionally, there are some 320,000 assault rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.[8]

link

Yet it comes 12 places below the united kingdom in the rate of murders.
link

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOCSINN2
This in turn helps to explain articles like the attached that describe the UK as the most violent of societies. [plus Daily Mail link]

Comparing crime statistics between countries is highly complicated due to the variety of methods used. The Daily Mail is a simplistic UK tabloid whose trade mark is sensationalism and will pick and choose on that basis. If the ultimate in “violent crime” is the number of people murdered (and surely that is the constant measure) then the UK is low on a per capita basis and certainly well behind the more violent USA.

reply to post by davespanners

It was only a matter of time before someone said that Switzerland bucks the trend and is an example of a nation where firearms are rife and murder rates are low. In fact, on a per capita basis Switzerland suffers a higher rate of gun related murder than the UK. Various credible sources are commonly referred to, but Wikipedia gun violence encapsulates the statistics, although (as with all statistics) there is conflict – including between different pages of Wikipedia.

Regards

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
They can’t even own pointy knives for god sakes.
If you get caught out in public carrying a knife with a blade over 3 inches long, you go to jail!!!!!!

good thing that i keep my knifes hidden, but i would use knives and maybe my 30-30 i would keep it hidden like in a secret spot or a hidden room in my house.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

"Comparing crime statistics between countries is highly complicated due to the variety of methods used".

Appeal to complexity eh? A violent crime is fairly easy to quantify so I will beg to differ with you.

"The Daily Mail is a simplistic UK tabloid whose trade mark is sensationalism and will pick and choose on that basis".

You are using Ad hominem on this argument. The UK tabloid was in fact using data compiled from both the UN and the European Commission so please address their data and not the messenger.

"If the ultimate in “violent crime” is the number of people murdered (and surely that is the constant measure) then the UK is low on a per capita basis and certainly well behind the more violent USA."

Violence consists of many components so redefining to exclude everything but death is a fallacious argument by selective observation.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverado292
Can you still own Bows and arrows or crossbows? If you can that and Camouflage should get you some nice toys should the poo smack into the fan.

Don't think so. a year or so ago, there were threads on ATS about how the UK government was considering regulating spoons as dangerous weapons. Quite sure that would mean no bows and arrows for you!

New question for the thread. How many years before the UK government attempts to ban sticks and rocks?

That would take all you law abiding Brits back to pre-stone age in terms of being able to defend yourselves. Except for all the criminals that is ...

edit on 12/27/2010 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Well if someone breaks into my home and I smash his head in with a rock, I still get done for murder unless he had a rock too.

If I don't kill him with it, i'd be looking at getting sued by the burglar and it'd cost me.

So if they did break in, you gotta kill them and hide the body and not tell ANYONE

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DOCSINN2

Back to the Daily Mail sensationalism. The headline and the fancy charts. Although the tabloid cites EU and UN reports they are unable to actually point to the specific reports. They also concede that statistics between countries at to what constitutes a "violent" crime differs. I refer you back to my original statement that comparing country crime rates is impossible and fraught with difficulty. The only consistent statistical measure which has any degree of similarity is the murder rate. The murder rate in the UK is low. Gun crime in the UK is low.

Using ad hominem. No sorry, I am not. The tabloid is using un-referenced reports to make a sensational story based on statistics which they admit are not comparable.

Regards

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
i say get a kodabow crossbow. kodabow makes tactical crossbows!!!!! also they are good for hunting , very powerful for deer. also very accurate and im sure good against zombies,humans etc...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join