It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drunk on power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
After reading yet another thread about heavy handed TSA agents I was reminded of something.

Has anyone else noticed that those with any authority at all seem to be really abusing their positions?

What I have encountered: Cops thinking they're Rambo. Cops seem to now completely disregard any professional decorum or "fairness" completely. I recently saw a cop - in a newly set up "speed trap" - walk right up the stopped car and yank the door open. I've seen them screaming at people parked in fire lanes / the front of stores to move. I believe I even saw one go for his gun in such an instance. I had one cop scream "BLEEP" YOU at me for driving down a flooded street (yes it was passable and NOT blocked off.) I don't think cops are supposed to be screaming profanities at people. Not professional. And if I was in the wrong - why not just come after me / pull me over?

And worse - I see people who are but mere functionaries walking around like they own the world. People who are supervisors and etc at stores walking around like they're the Rambo of the store. It would almost be funny if it weren't so sad. And man are they hostile too. In the past - you'd ask why the item you were buying wasn't on sale as advertised and it was the wrong brand or flavor or something, and not on sale, OK - fine. Now - these people look at you like you're trying to rip off the Hope diamond or something, and how DARE you question THEM. And GOD FORBID you accidently try to use an expired coupon - that's grounds for the firing squad.

People seem to have become extremely rude and those with the slightest bit of power seem to think they are gods. And no, this isn't just "because of the holidays" either, that I am thinking this. In fact, most of my musing here comes from the months prior to the holidays. But speaking of which - another example - in a shopping area yesterday I saw two different city buses driving down the wrong side of the street, into oncoming traffic simply because they did not want to wait.

Another thing I see - I don't have any kids but I sometimes read "parents" type forums - and I keep seeing these complaints about PTA parents, organizers, and how downright mean they have become. OK? It's getting pretty crazy out there. And others seem to be noticing it too.

What is going on with people lately? Especially those with just a slight bit of power? OK you're a checkout supervisor or head waiter - you are not J. Edgar Hoover.

Where has reason gone? Why do people with insignificant positions seem to be drunk on power?

Anyone else noticing this? And why is it happening?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well, it is true. We have developed a the kind of personality and culture that goes with toltaltarism.

If it does you any good, here is a story about a "superior" researcher who decided he was going to be lawmaker and enforcer and harass smokers in a BIKER BAR. As you can imagine...I don't have to finish the story.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

We have developed a the kind of personality and culture that goes with toltaltarism.

Aha, that's a good point. I was thinking - why shouldn't people be nicer? What with the economy and various other issues. Plus, you'd think store personnel would be nicer to customers in light of the economy / fear of losing job / fear of losing business which pays their salary.

But maybe people are becoming like their heavy handed overlords?

Combating smoking in a biker bar? Fun ee

I think the thing that kills me most is what I read about PTA parents acting like Hitler. Jeez, that's unpaid and there are *children* involved. Ugh.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I've noticed the complete opposite? Everyone around here is super nice at the store on the street everywhere, I have to say I haven't had an eye to eye confrontation with any TSA or Cops though,guess that would be the real test!

new topics

top topics

join