It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank nationalization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I don't see why the U.S. government did not nationalize some of the big names. It could not have hurt to let certain undercapitalized banks go bankrupt. Just let the shareholders be wiped out and transfer the equity to the bondholders. If the banks require more capital, let the government take some equity stakes. Since most managers have huge equity stakes in their banks, they will think twice before taking on huge risks again. The taxpayers by taking on huge equity stakes in those banks do get exposed to some risk, but the premium on the risk would make anyone think twice before saying no. In my view, the assets banks currently own are vastly underpriced. It is only natural then for anyone to think the upside is huge. Of course, there may be some sort of domino effect in the market, but given the government has a virtually infinite financial capacity there is really no problem with that. Some may still object that the government will do a poor job in managing the banks especially given the complexity of those banks, but it is only temporary, and as soon there is private demand we could sell the more complex parts first, possibly with some guarantees. Other than that, I don't think there is any major problem. The scale and the intensity of the financial crisis through which we are still trying to muddle are greater than what we have had in recent times, however, so every bank was affected by this crisis. We should set up a guarantee program for the more capitalized banks.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The banks are privately owned by "rich and powerful" ( in their own mind ) people. Why would they want the government, which they already control; to be allowed government to see "the books".
edit on 24-12-2010 by Bonified Ween because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Just my thoughts, I think the whole bank crisis was an elaborate set up to funnel money somewhere. I believe the banksters, run everything with the help of loyal businessmen(CIA and the military industrial complex). I am not here to disprove any one, and I believe the truth is in little snipits of the msm. The same msm that states there is a "banking crisis".
Possibility, maybe, maybe not

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yeah, why nationalize a system that was meant to be private so that no one would be allowed to look at the books.

Why do we need a system of currency controls? That should be the question asked.

Why do we have what are called legal tender laws? Reason being, everything in a free market system, including currency should be freely available to be used or not be used. When the government passed legal tender laws, they forced us to accept their pieces of paper as legal tender, even though they use the currency to steal from us by the basic tenet of inflation.

Nationalize, what are you daft? Go the other way, repeal all the legal tender laws and let people use the currency of their choice, what you earn today will be worth the same thing in 10 years, where as the currency we currently use, is devalued by half in the same 10 years. That is the power of the fiat currency and fractional reserve banking, the closest to the creation or distribution of the currency has all the benefit. Those that live week to week or paycheck to paycheck, have to spend their currency, for it devalues everyday you hold it. Then the government taxes you on the Property that you purchase continually, so they get you on the currency and the property end of it.

They screw you when you have it, and they screw you when you attempt to convert it into property. They have created this system and instituted slowly to fool everyone into believing you actually can get ahead. Keep chasing that dollar. I prefer gold, silver and platinum.

If I had my choice, I would do no business with anyone in fiat currency. AT ALL.

new topics

top topics

join