It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holiday Hors D'oeuvres and Toothpick Foods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Having guests over for the holidays means having food and snacks ready, having toothpick and finger foods to put on a platter for the coffee table.

Penguinos - Using both extra large and medium pitted black olives, cream cheese, and carrots. Take the large olives and cut one side the long way then stuff with cream cheese so that a broad stripe of white is left at the opening then smooth it off to conform with the shape of the olive. This is the penguin's body, place it on top of a thin carrot wheel slice you trim to look like his feet and attach with a toothpick. Place the smaller olive on top for his head with the small opening forward and stick a sliver of carrot trimmed from forming his feet to use as a his beak. - I wish I had photos as these are very cute, and tasty.

Guacamole Buttons - Make guacamole by smashing avocado and mixing in chunky chile salsa, or as an alternative finely chop onion and tomato with a dash of salt to mix into the avocado. Take small mushroom buttons and remove the stems then fill with a heap of the guacamole.

Ham and Cheese Hors D'oeuvre Rolls - Too easy, too good. Take a thin square or rectangular slice of ham and spread on cream cheese. Hint: heat the cream cheese in the microwave a few seconds to soften so it will spread thinly and evenly. Roll these up and slice into little wheels. Place a caper or some other small garnish the center of each.

Try using a cake decorator to fill deviled eggs, some mashed potato in the mix will make it firmer and you can eliminate some of the mayo that is often used.

Anyone have some other ideas for their holiday platters to share? Some hot hors d'oeuvres perhaps?
edit on 24-12-2010 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I am too lazy to prepare various kinds of food, maybe the simplest and healthiest is to prepare a plate of fruits .

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ackeiyword
I am too lazy to prepare various kinds of food, maybe the simplest and healthiest is to prepare a plate of fruits .

Nothing at all wrong with that. Here in Mexico the most common sort of botana (appetizer) tray is sliced fruits and/or vegetables with lemon juice and a light sprinkling of chile powder. Slices of jicama, cucumber, pineapple, mango - any, all, or other fruits and veggies - are served at almost every occasion. I like fruit and cheese platters best perhaps.

Last night's Noche Buena (Xmas eve) dinner went well. People loved my penguinos, perhaps too well, some thought they were just too cute to eat.

Season's Merriment to all. -Eron

edit on 25-12-2010 by Erongaricuaro because: I had to correct a typo. Sorry!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I can't wait to try some of what you posted, OP

One of my favorite Hors D'oeuvres is the classic Smoked Salmon Canapé
and It's really simple to make,

1. put a thin slice of a hard-boiled egg or spread some cream cheese on a bite-size piece of toasted bread
2. add a slice of quality smoked salmon
3. add a little dill-sauce
4. top it off with capers and lemon juice or lemon zest

Bon Appétit!

top topics

join