It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Love it, Hate it.

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Does anybody think that the Star voting system is a little bit one dimensional ?
I was thinking that we could have a system where you can give a star if the post is good or take a star away if the post is bad.

It's good to reward posters with a Star but wouldn't it also be good to take stars away?

Would members(including myself) act more responsible when contributing in a discussion?

Would this idea give more power to the members and make for a better quality Forum?

Do you love or hate this idea?

edit on 063131p://f32Friday by Seventytwo because: (no reason given)




posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Seventytwo
 


I like the idea of there being a negative rating system, which would effect your overall WATS score, but seeing as everyone's opinion of each post varies, I would prefer that there was one rating system for positive responses (i.e., stars), and another to indicate that you feel that it's a poorly made, or non-contributory post.

I think this is especially true where there are heated debates, such as the "creation/evolution" debate - posters who make a point that goes against the consensus might get starred by a minority, and d-starred by a large number even if their point is well made and/or valid.

However, if there was an extra rating system - maybe tiny little trolls - that you could use to say "I felt that this point was badly made or not worth making", that would be good.



posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Am already leary of posting due to my rusty english.. As only use it here.. Would worry that end up lose due to mistranslation.. Think current system works ok..



posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
please, we are not in grade school where we should expect to have "stars" given or taken away for simply expressing an opinion, or providing information. nor, in my opinion, should the mangement have to provide any incentive outside of simply providing a forum for the sharing of ideas.
by the way, i'm still online even though under my moniker on the left hand side of the page says that i was "on 8 minutes ago"
edit on 24-12-2010 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
reply to post by Seventytwo
 


I like the idea of there being a negative rating system, which would effect your overall WATS score, but seeing as everyone's opinion of each post varies, I would prefer that there was one rating system for positive responses (i.e., stars), and another to indicate that you feel that it's a poorly made, or non-contributory post.

I think this is especially true where there are heated debates, such as the "creation/evolution" debate - posters who make a point that goes against the consensus might get starred by a minority, and d-starred by a large number even if their point is well made and/or valid.

However, if there was an extra rating system - maybe tiny little trolls - that you could use to say "I felt that this point was badly made or not worth making", that would be good.


Yes some sort of extra "negative rating system"

Some sort of minus rating to run along side our overall WATS score.

Ratings would only start to register after 5 negative ratings have been made against your post,
this would cut out any misuse of the system and would suggest a genuine consensus.



posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Am already leary of posting due to my rusty english.. As only use it here.. Would worry that end up lose due to mistranslation.. Think current system works ok..


Members would appreciate your situation, those that didn't would have a very high Minus rating

edit on 103131p://f19Friday by Seventytwo because: (no reason given)

edit on 103131p://f20Friday by Seventytwo because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
please, we are not in grade school where we should expect to have "stars" given or taken away for simply expressing an opinion, or providing information. nor, in my opinion, should the mangement have to provide any incentive outside of simply providing a forum for the sharing of ideas.
by the way, i'm still online even though under my moniker on the left hand side of the page says that i was "on 8 minutes ago"
edit on 24-12-2010 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)


Well, I do lean more to your point of view but I think some sort of rating or score system will always remain,

If so then it would be nice to have a balanced system.



posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I saw one of the mods giving a reason not that long ago which I agree with.

ATS is supposed to be a positive place. So stars are a positive thing a negative star or removing a star would be a negative thing. Negative systems can get used for negative reasons. Positive systems do not.

I might be a little of though.
I think it was ArMap by the way.

Why do I agree ? I tell you why.

For some reason a post fails your quality standard yet it gained a star from someone that agrees or has a lower standard then you. Who are you to deny them to star the post for whatever reason they have to star a post. The same counts for the receiver of the star.
The only thing you got for an option is to post that you think the post sucks and why. Really when you or your reason or both even are ignored, your thoughts are wasted on them. But... I'm sure that there will be a reader that reads your contribution and thinks... Damn... He's right I never thought of it that way or doing it like that.

Lets face it... The world is full of dumb and ignorant people, among them however there are some that do want to learn and are open to another opinion. Let the ignorant follow en masse the nonsense posted cause those who look a little further will get filtered out.

I'm sorry to bother you with such a long reply.

Anyway...

Take care and have a nice Christmas.

~ Sinter



posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Serious question: How many times does this thread topic have to come up? There are a gazillion threads on this topic, why not just add to one of them? Especially since there isn't any new or interesting suggestions here?

Hey look, one is still active!


edit on 24-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Serious question: How many times does this thread topic have to come up? There are a gazillion threads on this topic, why not just add to one of them? Especially since there isn't any new or interesting suggestions here?

Hey look, one is still active!


edit on 24-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)


Please contribute to the ongoing discussion as mentioned here. Also, please use the search feature as there are a zillion threads on this very topic


Closed.



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join