It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40% of canadian teens think america is evil

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
EDIT: ***DOUBLE POST***

[edit on 6-7-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
sorry intrepid if Americans disappoint you. We live our lives our way and don't care what the rest of the world things about it. I definately don't wake up every morning wondering if the rest of the world likes me today. I don't care. It means nothing to me if other countries like americans or hate americans.

I'm sure that that was the attitude of the Roman Empire. They were unbeatable. Sound familiar. Where are they now? That is my point. Take a look around, pay, at least lip service. If you think you are invincible, you're doomed to be the next empire to go. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep

How funny that you call him uneducated when you can't even spell rediculous

And it was just a jab at the guy you says the American guy was uneducated and he can't even spell correctly.

I'm going to be petty. It's spelled ridiculous

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
intrepid, when did I say that America was invincible???? I don't believe I said that anywhere. What I said was that I don't care about Canada or France. Will America last forever? Probably not. Will America fall anytime soon? I'm not gifted with second site but nope, America is not going anywhere anytime soon. sorry

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
That is a pretty high percentage of teens to think this way. I think it is because of the influence of the media, especially when they show the prison scandals, the bombings in the Middle East, etc.

But, these teens will grow up realizing they live off the system of the United States Government, especially for protection from enemies who would destroy and capture Canada. If some other Country wanted to invade Canada the United States would not allow it because it would be a strategical disadvantage, plus the fact Canada is a good and free Country.

Nothing to worry about.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime I'm not gifted with second site but nope, America is not going anywhere anytime soon. sorry

What do you mean by soon?

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
America will be around for a long time. Hundreds of more years, maybe even thousands. We'll do it out of pure spite, just to piss off the Canadians and the French.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm a relative new-commer here and like to lurk. So I'dont know how to multi-quote.

Reading these posts reminds me of what bugs me about every (or very nearly every) american I have ever met. Their air of supperiority and the accompanying willfull ignorance that they allow themselves because of it.

SO. Not only do I not like your government (don't even get me started!), I don't have a high opinion of the americans I have met, either here in Canada and in New York, Boston, Detroit, Miami, Dallas, Chicago and everywhere in the New England states (all encounters friendship or business related). I do have a high opinion of some journalists, writers, activists etc who are working hard to counter the willfull ingnorance referred to above.

One person stated that Canada would not exist if it where not for the US, another joked that a war would disrupt beer and somehow affect a product that depends simply on how you cut a pork belly, so not a "Canadian" product at all; another person stated that Canada would be a different place if the US was not there. I agree.

You see Canada exists as a country not by the force or threat of military might (ours or anyone else's) but by our view of how this little piece of the planet should be governed and lived upon. Our protection from invasion or attack is largely geographical thanks to two oceans, the arctic and a very long undefended border with the biggest military in the world at the hands of foolish chest thumpers stomping around an imaginary playground being a classic bully. Canada is also defended from attack or invasion thanks to our foreign policy. You see unlike the US we are not running around the world creating enemies by having them submit to our will either economically (WTO, IMF, "free trade", globalisation, the Petrodollar etc) or militarily. But then again, some of you like to call us "that bunch of do gooders".

As far as the argument that the US would "rush" to our rescue (which world government has such a big grudge against Canada?), I'm not sure I would want that. Seeing as you never leave. You still have bases in places like Germany. I firmly believe that if Canada ever needs rescuing it will be from American agression. We have plenty of friends in the world (were in tight with the UN, OAS, the Commonwealth, G7, NATO, etc.) who would not allow it or stand by and do nothing.

On the other hand, it is Canada who holds a weapon with respect to the US. Far more than beer, Canada is responsible for a large percentage of US trade and we trade every product you can imagine including raw materials like say, wood, pulp and paper, oil, natural gas, electricity etc. So when the US refuses to honour four (count them 4!) WTO tribunals claiming that tarriffs on our softwood lumber are illegal and the US gov't owns us billions back in illegal taxes collected, then I think we should just cut off the supply, for say, a month. The US economy would be in a tailspin at the next day's opening bell. The US achilles (sp?) heel is the economy and sorry to inform you, Canada holds a major ace up its sleeve.

So yes, you should all care about what Canadian youth (and the not so young) think of the US.

Better yet, you should care about what is at the root of the sentiment and correct it.

Sorry this was so long but this thread hit a nerve.

Oh. And to the person who posted the WAAAAHMBULANCE pic. Thanks! That's a keeper!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

America will be around for a long time. Hundreds of more years, maybe even thousands. We'll do it out of pure spite, just to piss off the Canadians and the French.

Dude, the death knell has already been heard. Why can't you hear it?

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
But, these teens will grow up realizing they live off the system of the United States Government, especially for protection from enemies who would destroy and capture Canada. If some other Country wanted to invade Canada the United States would not allow it because it would be a strategical disadvantage, plus the fact Canada is a good and free Country.
Nothing to worry about.

Lots to worry about. The only country we have to worry about invading us is America.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
40% of Canadian teens is nothing compared to the world's percentage of those who believe America is evil.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
40% of Canadian teens is nothing compared to the world's percentage of those who believe America is evil.

But, out the mouths of babes. I 67, do you have a solution? I'm willing to listen.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
But, out the mouths of babes. I 67, do you have a solution? I'm willing to listen.

Only a solution from God Himself can bring America from out of the darkness.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
First off, Gools, you need to get off that soap box. Again, fine if you don't like my government. Most of the time I don't either. But damn dude, we are not all that bad. As for feeling superior, I can see how you could come to that conclusion. You know what? We, as americans aren't(for the most part) like you described at all. A few in here have made jokes, which is fine to keep things light, others truly have been offended. See, unless history has not been taught to us down here, we are a great nation. We, as most humans, are good, and long to help others. I'm not going to bring up stuff from the past...but truly you must know that the world would totally different today, if not for us as a nation rising up and helping out other nations.....I guess I'm just naive in thinking we are decent down here. I'm still, like in my first post, trying to figure out how you can think an entire nation of people are "evil"

[edit on 7/6/2004 by bobafett1972]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Only a solution from God Himself can bring America from out of the darkness.

I meant something practical. Religious tenet won't work here, you know that. No matter how much we wish it could.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
1. Canada in no danger of being invaded by another military power because it sits adjacent to the USA, not because any fancy foreign policy that Canada has in place. If China wanted to invade Canada in full force there would be very little that Canada could do to stop them. Yes, Canadians would fight to protect their homeland and that's a good thing but lets face facts, China's military might and millions of trained soldiers would rip thru Canada pretty easy and Canada would be begging the "evil" USA for help. If China did invade Canada, I as an American would be more than happy to come up North and help out if Canada needed it.

So in part, Canada does have freedom and then ability to sit at ease in the world because it is America's neighbor. No country in their right mind would challenge America and no country would ever think of attacking Canada. Canada is like the little brother who has an older brother who is also a body builder. No one picks on the little kid because his bigger brother would pound them into the ground.

2. Everyone talks about America�s arrogance. I see it as just the opposite. All the other countries cut on America but when the crap hits the fan all these same countries look to America to fix the problem. All these other counties want America to do what *they* want America to do and that�s just not going to happen. America was founded by people who were sick of taking orders from other counties. I�m always amazed about how all these counties hate America, but where do they send their children to receive a good education? Why, they are sent here to America, the place they hate so much.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Dude, the death knell has already been heard. Why can't you hear it?

lol. priceless.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I meant something practical. Religious tenet won't work here, you know that. No matter how much we wish it could.

That was my whole point in writing that.

Nothing practical can save America or the world's view of an evil empire named America.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

How funny that you call him uneducated when you can't even spell rediculous

And it was just a jab at the guy you says the American guy was uneducated and he can't even spell correctly.

I'm going to be petty. It's spelled ridiculous

That's not petty, you are correct, so much for my argument!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
First off, Gools, you need to get off that soap box.

I am entitled to my analysis based on the facts I have collected over my lifetime.

Again, fine if you don't like my government. Most of the time I don't either. But damn dude, we are not all that bad.

Never said that. Only the ones I have met and know of. Appart from your politicians, celebrities, your press and personal encounters. I imaging it is much the same situation for everyone. No one has knowledge of all people in a foreign country and therefore no one should judge a "country". However, we can judge the actions of those we meet and those we see and hear.

Yes! America was a great country. But what people like me are trying to tell you is that the illusion of the past is controlling your present and that the situation has gotten grim for the 95% of people who live outside your carefully guarded borders.

[edit on 7/6/2004 by bobafett1972]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   

1. Canada in no danger of being invaded by another military power because it sits adjacent to the USA, not because any fancy foreign policy that Canada has in place. If China wanted to invade Canada in full force there would be very little that Canada could do to stop them. Yes, Canadians would fight to protect their homeland and that's a good thing but lets face facts, China's military might and millions of trained soldiers would rip thru Canada pretty easy and Canada would be begging the "evil" USA for help. If China did invade Canada, I as an American would be more than happy to come up North and help out if Canada needed it.

So in part, Canada does have freedom and then ability to sit at ease in the world because it is America's neighbor. No country in their right mind would challenge America and no country would ever think of attacking Canada. Canada is like the little brother who has an older brother who is also a body builder. No one picks on the little kid because his bigger brother would pound them into the ground.

We have been attacked twice, by America, repulsed them both times. We are not afraid of China attacking us, if they did, the result would be the same. We fight when we have to, chill, when we have to. As a people we won't take it. BTW, the only military we're worried about is America's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join