It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Technology Is Destroying Life As We Know It

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I totally agree with you, I´m 21 years old and believe me, it is not happening only to you and not only in your area or country, it´s happening everywere, I live in Mexico and its hard to realize that for some people in here is more important to check it´s facebook and tweet something than having a real conversation, than knowing what his partner or couple really thinks by it´s mouth and not by it´s keyboard.. it´s for some people more important to see what are their neighbors or friends of their friends doing, wearing and visiting than to care for their own real lives and the inmediatly things that should concern them.

I particulary feel as if our human and social essence of talking in person, reunite and be together phisically is fading away... sometimes I ask myself If I´m wrong because I don´t have facebook, hi5 or all of those "unsocial networks" like most of the people of my age and I end up singing that song from the kings of convenience that says:

"Do I have to be like them... or be lonely?"

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I would say that the exact opposite is true; the internet and social networking is one of the greatest achievements our civilization has accomplished.

You can say what you want about global unification and one world governments, but our only hope as a race is to stop functioning within borders and countries and start to think of ourselves as one global civilization, use our collective knowledge for cultural and technological advancement.

Social networks are the first step in that direction. There are no countries on the internet.

And as far as technology is concerned, you don't really have a choice. Well, you do, but it is not a choice any rational person should make. You can always choose to not use technology, be off the grid or whatever you call it, but you have to be aware that you will be loosing a great deal of advantages technology has to offer, and the rest of the world will just pass you by and not care even one bit.

I think people who choose to do that basically are not able to deal with the world as it is, are probably too old and scared, and that's fine...

Young people should not be against technology, but should do everything they can to get involved, because, well, the future of the human race depends on that, as dramatic as that may sound... I'm 26, and i get really annoyed when people my age start to say things like the OP.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

This is where you lost me...I don't even know what most of this means:

"nstead, I have to be practically forced into buying a 'smart phone' which as well as the above can be a spirit level or a fitness coach, or a talking cat, or a shopping assistant or a machine gun, or a barcode scanner not forgetting the general GPS tracking capabilities which can be abused so easily..... the list goes on almost infinitely."

How is a smart phone a cat or a machine gun? What the hell is a spirit level. I agree that a lot of this new social tech might encourage anti-social behavior in some people, but your point gets lost because of ^^statements, for me at least.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Threadfall because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join