It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Convicted wife killer Eddie Gilfoyle freed from prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I don't know what to make of this one. I will present some news quotes and then leave it for you to decide.

Conviction of Wirral killer Eddie Gilfoyle called into question

EDDIE GILFOYLE was found guilty of the murder of his pregnant wife, Paula, in 1993.

A year earlier, she was found hanging in the garage of their Upton home with an alleged suicide note.

But detectives believed Gilfoyle fooled his wife, 32, into writing a suicide note and forced her to climb a ladder with a noose around her neck.

In recent years, though, Merseyside Police interview notes appeared to show a catalogue of errors made by officers at the scene.

They suggested, potentially crucially, Gilfoyle was at work when his wife died.

It was claimed notes of interviews not seen by the jury stated the doctor who declared Mrs Gilfoyle dead told police she had died six hours earlier – when her hospital porter husband was at work.

Two years ago, criminal profiler David Canter put forward a new argument indicating his new belief Mrs Gilfoyle’s “suicide note” was genuine.

The prosecution was supported by the then-argument that pregnant women hardly ever killed themselves, a theory called into question years later.

(Read More www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk... 0034/#ixzz1917dkQgC)

Okay. Well, first of all, there seems to be many doubts with this case. The assertion that Gilfoyle "fooled" his wife into writing a suicide note sounds absolutely proposterous. Also, the doctor who declared that Mrs. Gilfoyle died six hours earlier would have made quite an accurate statement. I don't know how many people know about exponential curves and temperature measurements, but basically you can measure the temperature of a dead body and calculate, quite accurately, when the person died. However, I am not sure if this was the method used by the doctor.

You may now be wondering 'why is this a conspiracy'? Well, the news article from the BBC really got the alarm bells ringing for me:

A man who has always maintained he was wrongly convicted of murdering his pregnant wife has been released from prison on parole.

Eddie Gilfoyle, 49, was found guilty of killing his wife Paula, who was found hanged in the garage of the couple's home in Upton, Wirral in 1992.

Prosecutors claimed he had fooled the 32-year-old into writing a suicide note before tying a noose around her neck.

The Parole Board said Gilfoyle was not allowed to speak to the media.

He was released from Sudbury Prison in Derbyshire on Wednesday with conditions attached to his licence.

Campaigners said both Gilfoyle and those around him had been banned from speaking out.

Paul Caddick, Gilfoyle's brother-in-law, said: "We are not able to provide a response because the Parole Board has imposed a condition on Eddie's life licence that prohibits him contacting the media, either directly or indirectly, whether this is regarding his release or his appeal."

Mrs Gilfoyle's family told the BBC they were "gobsmacked" by the decision to release him.

The Ministry of Justice said it did not comment on individual cases.

'Miscarriage of justice'

Gilfoyle, who has had two appeals against his conviction rejected, has always denied murder, insisting his wife took her own life.

During the trial in 1992, an expert testified that it was highly unlikely a heavily pregnant woman would hang herself.

The prosecution said Gilfoyle, a Falklands veteran, had persuaded his wife to climb a ladder in their garage with a noose around her neck.

The rope later went missing and was never tested for DNA.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Okay. A few things I am confused about here:

1. How on Earth did the rope go missing?!!! As far as I know, the woman was found hanging, and therefore the police would have taken the rope in for examination. So did the police lose the rope? This just doesn't happen by accident! Important pieces of physical evidence do not just disappear.

2. Why the gagging order? Why are he and his family not allowed to speak out? Is it really for his own safety?

The BBC article also goes on further to state:

Prisoners do not have to admit their guilt when they appear before a parole board to have a chance of release, the spokesman said.

"A prisoner can still be released and still not admit the charge," he explained.

"We always assume guilt after a conviction and instead assess whether they are safe to be let into the community and whether they pose a risk."

So does this mean that the parole board still think he is guilty, but have let him out because they do not think he poses a threat to society?!!!

I am very confused about this, but convicted murderers are not usually let out after 18 years. It sounds to me like someone on the inside might know something which led to his decision being taken.

What do you think?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Well this is certainly a very strange case indeed. I am going to attempt to find more information on this and I will come back with what I find.

It makes no sense to me at all how a convict speaking to the media could "cause them to offend again".

new topics

join