It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 13, Busted (arrested) For Illegal Marker Possession

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
It's illegal in Australia to carry around any instrument which can mark or engrave because of graffiti. You need a good reason to have a texta on you lol I got searched and fined for having a marker on me.

OMG really? Wow thanks, now I know to leave my sharpie arsenal at home when I come to Oz. I seriously carry around the little ones in many colors. Never know when you might need one.

Honestly this teacher should be let go. This is stupid!! Was the kid marking anything with the sharpie? Even if he was does it justify a citation and detention? NO! Send him to the principals office and take the marker away. If he just innocently had a marker then that school is messed up and if my kid was in that school they would be yanked out asap.

Seriously a sharpie?!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Here is the factor that seems to be getting missed...

Under City Ordinance 35-202, it is illegal for any person to possess spray paint or a permanent marker on private property without the permission of the property owner.

Source

I'd hate to be a DA trying to put this one before any kind of jury - or even a prosecutor hoping to have a job next year. Public property can be controlled - but it is NOT private property.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The three hundred pound teacher looks like she has issues of her own to deal with.....
Honestly folks, this kind of sh%t was dealt with in a much more competent manner not so long ago.....
Now the cops are the enforcers in schools?
The city can actually make possession of markers illegal?
This i doubt....
The whole thing is a sign of the serious psychotic headspace that we are getting drummed into us.
First they made the guns illegal, (in australia)now they make the markers contraband....whats next?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
HEEEEE

Are you for real?

Man get out of the system.

Make me wonder if life will look like Equilibrium Movie.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
ITS OUR SCHOOLS IF YOU TEACH THEM THAT THEY HAVE FREEDOM AND HOW TO DEFEND THAT FREEDOM THEY WILL!!! IF YOU TEACH THEM THAT MARKERS ARE BAD THEN THEY WILL BECOME DOCILE AND EASY TO CONTROL!!! I saw it my self when I was in school.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I bet this lady was the victim of being the first person to pass out at a party and everyone chastised her by drawing on her with markers.

jk I bet she's never been invited to a party.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Holy crap i wont visit Oklahoma city for a convention, because i use permanent markers in my artwork! So my art would be contraband? This is so stupid! Why are markers illegal?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Boy, 13, Busted (arrested) For Illegal Marker Possession

www.thesmokinggun.com

DECEMBER 22--A 13-year-old boy was arrested Friday for using a permanent marker while in class at his Oklahoma City middle school, a violation of an obscure city ordinance.

According to an Oklahoma City Police Department report, the boy was spotted “in possession of a permanent marker” by Roosevelt Middle School teacher DeLynn Woodside. The 50-year-old educator told cop Miguel Campos that the student was “writing on a piece of paper, which caused it to bleed over onto the desk.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

OMG a Sharpie!!!

Maybe if it was just weed, or meth and if he'd played on the football team, he'd would have just been given a slap on the wrist.

This cow needs to be put out to pasture, and the cop needs to not be a resource officer at a school.

And I'd like to tell here where to put her "I like sharpies" on her facebook.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

In the comments, here is a little blurb from another teacher who works at this same school.

Submitted by miss on Fri, 2010-12-24 12:41. I am also a teacher at this school. I also agree that what happened should NOT have happened in that manner. I would have (as I have done many times before) just taken the marker and called the parents. But, we have NO IDEA what happened before the incident. The 7th graders at our school are a rough bunch. This teacher is not an idiot. She is not someone I hang around with or even call a friend, but she is a really, really good teacher. Her test scores are ALWAYS high and the kids learn a lot in her class. We spend a lot of money each week repainting the bathrooms and sanding (or whatever they do) the sides of the building from tagging. Our furniture is old and outdated so we try our best to make it look good and clean for our students. Maybe this was an overreaction, but you all have no idea what we go through in a typical day. Did you know that most of our classes have OVER 35 students in them? We teach 5 sections of our subjects so that's around 170 or so students we see in a day. Our school is 90% hispanic, 100% free lunch, and we have every kind of gang there is. I think our students are wonderful kids. They really are. But, right or wrong, home is not where they learn rules. We teachers are their mothers, fathers, counselors, security blankets. I am not saying it's the way it should be, but it's the way it is. So, maybe just lay off....just a littl

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm liking OP's topics, because they further show the stupidity and tyranny of a school who likes to control little kids, because they think they're an abusive cop with an iron fist. Clearly school has lost its true meaning. Do we learn anything anymore, or are we just given a pass because we're the superstar of the football team (and I mean this in more ways than one, we're stupid while the rest of the world excels so much further). It isn't just apathy in students, it's the board, the teachers, staff all getting off track with what they're supposed to be doing, and instead coercing students and punishing them for petty things. You know what a big deal was for me back in high school, not that long ago? I pocketed a bottle of water, sure it was dumb, but I was caught and it was like I was a terrorist. They've lost track, and it reflects not only schools, but also America in a post-9/11 society, who eye you suspiciously because you aren't sucking up to the president and PRAISING THIS WONDERFUL NATION!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I do believe that you are very correct . The American dream is in the way of the Banksters breaking down our sovereignty and being subject to their oppressive rule . I suspect that all of those food poisoning problems was a false flag operation to pass the Codex Alimentarius / WTO bill to regulate food and make it illegal to grow food . Everything is illegal now a days and the Homeland Security is terrorising Americans to the point of submission .When did it become necessary for a teacher to call police for a non violent event ?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by backinblack

What? You think the kid's still locked up?

This happened a week ago.

Kids these days...

I blame K2 and Eminem.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Who remembers sniffing markers in school? Companies also came out with "scented" markers - 'member those?

I made a thread earlier, in the Social Issues forum, on how more and more "average" people seem to be turning into Fascist control freaks.

WHAT is going on?

The kid has a marker the school prohibits - you take it away from them. That's it. You don't turn it into a TSA style circus of imprisonment.

Jesus. What IS this world coming to???

Hey - remember sniffing the purple ink "mimeograph" papers too? Yeah, now I'm giving away my age

And now I want to go buy some of those blueberry and lemon scented markers. *If* they are even still produced....

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If the student was deliberately "tagging" the desk, or got caught on the school grounds outside defacing school property, I could see this type of "discipline" as being understandable, even though IMO still an overreaction.

They can rationalize this any which way they want, but although I agree that they taught the kid a major lesson, I'm sure they didn't teach him the one they planned. That 13 year-old, highly malleable mind is now one step closer to hating teachers and cops.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yeah, but didn't the coppers go ahead and arrest the kid? They could just as easily have said "You're 5h177in' me, right?"

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whiffer Nippets

The kid has a marker the school prohibits - you take it away from them. That's it. You don't turn it into a TSA style circus of imprisonment.

Apparently most people here didn't read the whole story.

She attempted to take it from him. Instead of turning it over he tried to hide it.

If you think this is a stupid law, then contact the appropriate elected officials to have it changed.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
my question would be how were the parents notified that their son was taken to a JuVi detention center...?

its stange... graffiti is an element, of the American sub culture Hip Hop... its is a form of expression, and when used properly a form of symbolic speech, there are taggers, tag bangers, graffiti writers, and then graffiti Artist...

Speaking of Art does this school not have an art program when the students can freely express themselves in a controlled and encouraged enviorment, where the expresison of art is accepted, no matter what form?

its a school... if the students show insterest in such activities, give them an outlet to produce and enhance the hobby... instead of these kids tagging on the walls outside the buildings, take a second and think of a positive way for these kids to continue this form of expression... its a real simple solution if the school / community has a problem with graffiti:

nuff said

~ Prose

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

How does one go about home schooling in Wisconsin? My five year old son will be entering kindergarten next fall, and boy does he love his markers!

Home schooling is the best thing you could ever do for your child. READ Dumbing Down America

"Google" Robinson home schooling. He had a very reasonably priced home schooling kit. Through him (actually his kids
) you maybe able to contact other home shoolers in your state. Also google home schooling for your state.

At least one of the churches I know has a sort of home schooling group that help each other.

If you can not home school look into montessori schools.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

As far as arresting the kid---maybe he will learn to listen and come to have regard for the property of others. If parents were doing their jobs by instilling proper behavior maybe some of this would not be necessary.

And maybe what was actually taught to this child is hatred and contempt of school and hatred and fear of Law enforcement.

Beware of the law of unintended consequences. If you get hauled to jail for a stupid mistake like this why bother trying to follow ANY of the rules?

If you have ever trained animals you will find that what you thought you were teaching and what you actually were teaching are often quite different so every step must be thought out very carefully.

I have nothing but contempt for this "Teacher" Actually I have nothing but CONTEMPT for the entire legal system of the USA. I am sure both the kid and his parents are going to learn that same contempt for US law by the time this bit of idiocy is over.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by craig732

Well yeah, I read it, my *general* point being - you just take it away. And then try again. And then you send the kid to the Principal's or Dean's office and call the parents. As is the usual procedure. And as it should go.

Was just trying to address the general idea and not get too nit picky. I'm not a lawyer, I try to refrain from being long winded, and (wait - let me check to be sure) - I don't have a stick up my ass.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join