It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School outed teen to parents, said it was 'legally obligated': lawsuit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

School outed teen to parents, said it was 'legally obligated': lawsuit

www.rawstory.com

Two softball coaches at a Texas high school are being sued after allegedly confining a teenaged girl in a locked room, forcing her to confirm her sexual orientation, then outing her to her parents before ejecting her from the softball team.

The lawsuit states that the school district defended the actions by saying the teachers were "legally obligated" to inform the parents of the child's sexuality.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Sheesh...

If these allegations are true, I really don't even know what to say...

Why would a school be 'legally obligated' to inform a parent about a child's gender preference?

And if there is any BASIS to this bizzare claim, would that in ANY way justify DETAINING said child in a locked room to COERCE such an admission?

I will wait to render final judgement until the case is decided upon, but on the surface, if true, this looks like a whole new level of insanity from our already struggling 'scholastic' programs here in the states.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yet more idiocy from amerika.. A persons preferences have no bearing on their abilities to study, perform a job, play sports.. Etc.. Nor do they take away from a person being human.. Too many narrowminded primitives in amerika forcing their narrowminded views on those around them..
edit on 23-12-2010 by Expat888 because: Gremlins...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 12/23/2010 by FSBlueApocalypse because: Double Post

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised this happened in Texas. As much as people want to bitch on this board about the liberals running the US into the ground, the bigotry and outright ignorance of the American Conservative South still takes the cake.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I do not believe that their is any legal obligation to disclose a child's sexual preference to their parents. I believe that is one of those things most people consider private. No person parent or other wise has any right to that information. A person has a choice whether they want to address sex, or sexual prefernce, on a person by person basis.

What those coaches are accused of should be labelled child abuse, false imprisonment, and kidnapping. If they did the things they are accused of they comitted several felonys. I understand being upset if a student is spreading rumors. However, to handle it in such a way is idiotic and barbaric.

I hope that they both get a state sanctioned vacation at the gray bar hotel.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Only in Texas.... or maybe Florida.

That's all I have to say.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I smell a BIG FAT payout for her and her parents!!! I mean if the parents have a spine and support their child. that is. If they did this to my child in any circumstance I would be going to the police and pressing false imprisonment charges, sexual harrassment charges, and bullying charges, and screaming to every effing media outlet about it and suing for millions$$$$ AND I DO MEAN MILLIONS$$$$!!!!!!

As a parent I am disgusted by what that damn horid school system did to her child.WTF.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FSBlueApocalypse
Why am I not surprised this happened in Texas. As much as people want to bitch on this board about the liberals running the US into the ground, the bigotry and outright ignorance of the American Conservative South still takes the cake.

Oh please. This is not a geography issue. Bigotry happens all over the world. Not just the southern United States. So drop that naivity, would you?

That said, I am disgusted by this story. The very fact that anyone, anywhere could do this to a student is simply disgusting. Assuming the allegations against the defendants are true.... My god! How awful!

The very ignorance of some people and they way they dare to treat others who are different... Just wow... Look, if this coach thought some one was spreading rumors about an affair she might be having with a student.... This is NOT the way to go about handling it....

Why on earth would you lock yourself in a locker room with a student and yell and intimidate them? And then the school district backs their actions by saying they were legally obligated to out the student to her parents? BS!!!

These coaches, the school and the district screwed the pooch.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
Only in Texas.... or maybe Florida.

That's all I have to say.

Yeah, right because Bigotry exists only in the Southern US, right? Please....

This could have happened anywhere and you know it.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This is horrific. I feel so sorry for you, my prayers are with you with these Nazi's terrorizing the people openly now, trying to break their spirit.

No school in any sane modern world would ever speak out in support of this and in Canada this would be criminal charges and probably prison.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Oh please. This is not a geography issue. Bigotry happens all over the world. Not just the southern United States. So drop that naivity, would you?

Yes, of course it does.

It just happens especially frequently in the south, is particularly egregious in the south, and is usually not met with any backlash in the south.

Yes, bigotry happens everywhere. Violence also happens everywhere, but that shouldn't halt an observer from noting that Mexico City, or Baghdad, or former Yugoslavia are particularly violent, should it?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

Perhaps it would satisfy "gimme_some_truth" if you were to take a page out of Dick Cavetts' playbook and apologize.....

To paraphrase Cavett's apology (immediately before former govenor Lester Maddox walked out of the interview):

"I would like to apologize to all those southerners who are NOT ignorant bigots......IF THERE ARE ANY!"

Sorry - it was the first thing that sprang to mind when reading the comments on this post.....LOL

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I hope the school gets sued and i hope they do it in federal court as a civil rights violation.

Oh I don't believe some courts in Texas would give a fair verdict there are just to many religious bigots in Texas.
I know because i have lived in Texas.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Thats absurd. Poor girl. I can't imagine adults being so stupid to think that was there place to be, and do.. I would condone jail time for them. they over stepped their boundaries.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I wonder if the other students were interrogated about their sexuality, and if the school followed their "legal obligations" and informed their parents that they were straight?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

EXACTLY! That's the point that needs to be made here! They only inform the parents of the child's sexual preference if they're gay? Ha!

I want to see this school go DOWN! It's absurd! The poor girl!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Well One cannot assume about the laws in Texas. I know that in most of the developed world this would constitute a breach of human rights and perhaps under various information acts.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This seems more than a little homophobic, me thinks perhaps the teachers protest too much?

There are rumours of the teen being the gym teachers girl friend, so they confront her, double team her behind a locked door, threaten her and then in what could be maybe a sort of damage control? Or whatever they 'out' the teen to her parents.... Hmmm, does make one wonder why they became gym teachers in the first place.... Maybe they will get some jail time, Texas all female prison showers, that would be nice for them

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

The real problem in america is people like you going "It's not my problem, it's those guys fault" Every side does it and it's why the country is falling apart.

All finger pointing, no helping hands

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join