It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Union Documentary...Excellent documentary about cannabis the true reason why its Illegal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well of course the Cannabis plant can be used for many different things which are mostly positive. But it is also being used for intoxication which is in no way positive. Drugs can destroy people's lives - when used too much. Most drug addicts and alcoholics are people who have problems in their life and only way they can deal with stress, pain, tensions in relationships, workplace and so on is using chemicals to make them feel better for some time. The fact is they are not solving problems but trying to ignore, forget them.

So hemp is good, drugs are bad, mkey!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Great post!

I love this documentary and I've seen it/shown it to people many times. Everyone who watches it takes something from it. To the poster who said the the legalization movement has "gone up in smoke." You should try fact checking a bit before you make comments about this you don't know.

Sure Proposition 19 failed in California, but that is far from proof that the movement has stalled. Obviously this movement has huge support from young people and the 2010 elections were mid-term elections, historically known for terrible turnout from young people. Also, conservatives came in droves to vote against the measure (70-30). However, cannabis legalization is a non-partisan movement, as is proof by the recent comments from non other than Pat Robertson:

National support for legalization is at an all-time high of 44 percent and only growing. Legalization has made strides which cannot and will not be reversed. This charade is going to end whether you believe it will or not, and sooner rather than later. The state of Washington is putting legalization on the ballot for 2011, California and Colorado for 2012. Then the real dominoes will fall.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Excellent video! I wish I knew about this one before! It brings up a lot of good points.

I'm hoping that in 2012, people get real about marijuana.

This video is from my page and I have faith things will change soon.

Maybe once all of the old conservative dinosaurs die off, us young people can have our country.

I work, I pay taxes, I vote and I smoke pot. So what?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I know a lot of people ADDICTED to prescription drugs. I was so very unaware that half of Americans are doing prescription drugs every day. Pot is not addicting. Maybe that's why it's illegal, they don't have you like they do with cigarettes.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
my beef, is that in the land of the free where life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is guaranteed, control freaks in government try to impose their will on marijuana use, not from some sincere regard for health and safety but from anger and ignorance to the facts about marijjuana.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
my beef, is that in the land of the free where life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is guaranteed, control freaks in government try to impose their will on marijuana use, not from some sincere regard for health and safety but from anger and ignorance to the facts about marijuana.
edit on 24-12-2010 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Moose318

I don't think it was just the drug companies. I believe the Oil and paper companies also had a big part in making it illegal. Here is a little info on the history of marijuana to skim over.

www.marijuanaresource.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blangger

Don't forget the cotton industry as well.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Here another documentary (almost a comedy movie) about The history of the American government's war on marijuana in the 20th century.

Narrator (voice) -- Woody Harrelson.

Sometimes this get hilarius.

I watched this right after completing a research paper on marijuana policy, and it was certainly a nice break after working entirely out of dry text. Much easier on the eyes than hundreds of pages of tiny type.

There certainly is a lot of stuff this movie left out, including some of the funnier things (such as the marijuana murder trials of 1938, or the 120-second Congressional hearings for the passage of the Marihuana Tax Act), but it definitely gets the point across in a colorful, often rather silly way complete with movie clips, weird songs, goofy video-game graphics, old-ranting-politician footage, and some of the more ludicrous public service announcements. The cultural bent makes it much less dry than most of the strictly historical, legal and political reading I've done, which is saying a bit as the legal history is pretty entertaining.

Just in case you somehow miss the point (or forget about it while watching Cab Calloway tap-dance), Grass makes a heavy point of repeatedly pointing out the escalating amounts of money spent on this unobtrusive little weed, and highlights the blatant lies the public has been subjected to over the past century by reiterating "The Truth" for every decade or so.

The only real downside to the movie is that it skipped over the disclaimer that every marijuana decriminalization piece really needs to have in it somewhere: There is no such thing as an entirely safe drug.

In conclusion, I would recommend this movie quite highly if you're looking to be introduced to the subject in a tolerably entertaining fashion, or if you're sick of reading and want something a little more audially/visually stimulating. For real information on the drug, however, I'd recommend reading "Marihuana: a Signal of Misunderstanding" instead.

IMDB

enjoy.
edit on 24-12-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blangger

And here it is for dummies

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Moose318

Well..I just watched the whole video and i really liked it..

Will it ever be legalized here in America...I believe so...

I still don't understand the big reversal on Hemp though...

that just boggles the mind..

I mean ALL farmers were required to grow it at one point...

we'll see....not holding my breath, but..well see.

and here is the video from the poster above me..

edit on 24-12-2010 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I work around law-enforcement. And even I SAY that marijuana should be legalized. For the same reason that alcohol was de-criminalized during prohibition-era 1920's. However the more hardcore drugs like coc aine, methamphetamine, heroine, etc SHOULD stay illegal.

The only problem is legalizing marijuana will cause long-term repercussions. A loss of jobs (people working in the justice-system) and then you have any idea how many the amount of cases will go to court relating to people in trouble with the law over weed? And how much of a headache will come to be to go through the hassle of having to debate over who we should let out of jail, etc. How many, etc.

But the one pro that outweighs all the cons is the fact that having marijuana legalized will curtail a lot of the violence instigated by drug cartels. And law-enforcement will win a major battle in the war on drugs.

I heard one police officer say that we need to stop looking at it from the perspective that we would be throwing in the towel on our moral obligations and instead focus on how we can go about reducing violence and crime.
edit on 12/24/10 by Marked One because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by archasama
Well of course the Cannabis plant can be used for many different things which are mostly positive. But it is also being used for intoxication which is in no way positive. Drugs can destroy people's lives - when used too much. Most drug addicts and alcoholics are people who have problems in their life and only way they can deal with stress, pain, tensions in relationships, workplace and so on is using chemicals to make them feel better for some time. The fact is they are not solving problems but trying to ignore, forget them.

So hemp is good, drugs are bad, mkey!

But who are you or anyone else to decide if the "intoxication" is detrimental or beneficial? What about personal responsibility and personal freedom/body ownership? I know for a FACT that the cerebral effects help MANY of my friends in day to day life and allow them to hold down jobs without the heart attack stress that other non-drug users suffer with daily.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This is a epic win thread.

Of course I am pleased to see this at the top of the front page, it's quite an important issue.

But I have a problem, which is two-fold.

Number 1# I don't want cannabis legalized just for medical reasons. Why? Because I am not sick.

We need it legalized for everyone for whatever reason they want. That way the law is not prejudice against me.

Also, I refuse to fake a illness just to get medicine, that's lying and fraudulent. I want to be legit and get it legally.

Number #2 I am sick of relying on the rest of society to TELL ME WHAT IS OK TO DO WITH MY BODY!!!

So honestly, I don't even listen to what people or the government tell me to do. I do what I am gonna do anyways. So hopefully society will catch up with the ball game, and legalize it now!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Just like alcohol and cigarettes, marijuana has no useful purpose for being legalized. people arent responsible now, and we want to legalize something useless? its for pure pleasure plain and simple. instead of trying to legalize marijuana how about doing volunteer work, being productive, be a better role model. i am beside myself shaking my head as I hear people try and rationalize legalizing this crap. i used it back in the early 1990s it was fun for a few minutes and then it got old fast.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Just a good quick example.

If society can pass laws that say "No one is allowed to smoke ___, it's bad for you."

Than why can't I pass laws that say stuff like this "You cannot get tatoos it's bad for you."
Or how about "You cannot get body piercings it's bad for you." ??

How about those laws? See how absurd and unjust they sound? WHY??

Because it's telling other people what they can and cannot do with their body, which seems like a personal choice issue rather than a government legislation issue.

Tatoos and body piercings are actually more harmful than people smoking a plant. How many people got infections from exposed wounds due to smoking a little plant? How many infections were caused from piercings? Exactly.

Body piercings are far worse for your health, and yet thats legal!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It would appear that here in S.W. Va. that the supply of pot is keeping up with the demand. Ah.....years ago in H/School, every time Christmas came around, we could bank on having a steady supply of that beautiful lady on a Thai stick. Never failed. $25. bucks for a 6" stick that would blow your mind and was some of the best this man has ever seen and tasted. Also, I fondly remember the smell wafting through my bedroom, as it gave me time for some self- introspection and to see how the govt. was really screwing us all over.
Now if our inept govt. would have put all that money, from the war on drugs and brought it up to current date, we would have very little homelessness, hunger, and affordable housing. Also, being a disabled Vet. I would rather have something natural for pain other than the stuff I am forced to take on a daily basis. I am considering moving to a state that will allow me to chose medicinal pot from the other hard narcotics. Peace on Earth and Merry Christmas to my fellow A.T.S. members and to the rest of the civilized world. And let us remember those who are putting their lives on the line every day so we can get fondled by the T.S.A. and be guaranteed to pay higher taxes. Have a bountiful New Year!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by surfnow2

Getting laid is for pleasure, plain and simple. Should we outlaw that too? Just because you deem something "useless" does not mean it is the same for everyone.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfnow2
Just like alcohol and cigarettes, marijuana has no useful purpose for being legalized. people arent responsible now, and we want to legalize something useless? its for pure pleasure plain and simple. instead of trying to legalize marijuana how about doing volunteer work, being productive, be a better role model. i am beside myself shaking my head as I hear people try and rationalize legalizing this crap. i used it back in the early 1990s it was fun for a few minutes and then it got old fast.

I want to know where you get off thinking you are the supreme God who can decide what is good for others and what is bad for them?

Your ideas are similar to that of Authoritarian psychopaths, who want nothing more than to dictate how I should live my life because "They know whats best for me".

You say that "pleasure" is not a useful purpose, but you are willfully ignoring the millions of potential uses for this substance. Have you ever heard of the Ford Hemp car? No you haven't, because you are willfully ignorant.

You shake your head as you wonder why the whole world doesn't bow down to your ignorant whims.

And I shake my head as I wonder why there are so many authoritarian lunatics around trying to force others to conform to their way of life!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by surfnow2

Getting laid is for pleasure, plain and simple. Should we outlaw that too? Just because you deem something "useless" does not mean it is the same for everyone.

Cars.

Cars pollute, cause tons of death daily, etc.

Cars should be illegal because I said so. See, I know what's best for everyone.

We will be preventing tens of thousands a deaths a year. I am glad I know how to solve our problems.

Now go for a walk!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join