It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Just have to throw in my support for this thread... whenever someone says I have this BUT everything before the but is a LIE.

From my personal experience the ones who are the most vicious and vocal about how homosexuality is evil and gay people are bad etc ad nausea are just closet cases who don't have the CHARACTER to be who they are and not live a lie. This completely negates the whole being gay is a choice thing too, how much do you think people lke that would give up to NOT have those feelings that haunt them and make them hateful and standoffish?

Being openly gay is a courageous act EVERY SINGLE DAY, and while I have nothing but respect for those who have the courage and moral strength to Be themselves day in and day out. I am saddened by the fact in his day and age they HAVE to be courageous or be silent. What right do those people that torment them and push for restrictive targeted legislation etc have to put that kind of burden on other people? If you don't like the idea of being gay ... don't be gay!! don't watch guys kiss if you see them kissing in the street....

There are plenty of straight couples that for aesthetic reasons I've shuddered a lil bit when I saw them locked in a face sucking frenzy. I looked at something else as did the other people that were there. Yet some people feel if they see two men or two women kissing they have some sort of "right" to stop them and tell them they are making them uncomvortable and that they shouldn't do that where people might get offended by it

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I have gay friends but man are they whiny!

~Heff

Shaddup!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
have you ever noticed that people who are all for gay rights, are less tolerant of religious people?

Why should it be wrong for a religious person to be against gay people?

Because that is then discriminating against somebody's beliefs. If a devout catholic thinks gay people are unholy, then why should the devout be persecuted for his/her beliefs.

This is my point. There's a HUGE grey area here.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I will go back and finish reading the thread - finished 1st page only, but I just wanted to add that hypocracy or lieing might not be what is happening here in every circumstance.

It is very, very common for people to hold prejudices against a group, but not hold those prejudices against an individual from that group who is standing in front of them. To use a personal example, I would shudder sometimes at the things that some of my family members would sometimes say about "blacks" without really thinking. But when I brought my black boyfriend home for visits they loved him never treated him any differently from anyone else. It makes no sense, but that is the way it is. Lots of people hold strange theories in their mind about what homosexuality is all about, but when they are actually with a gay person, then its no longer about the theories and just about the person.

By the way, I am gay myself. Not sure I have the stamina to go through another thread on the subject but will do my best.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Heh, gotta love culture wars. My god is better than your god crap.

Look, I have friends who do things I don't agree with. It is their right to do what they like, though. I might even argue against it, but the moment I cross the line and start actively interfering in their lives through direct action or influence, I cease to be a friend and start becoming an adversary.

With regards to homosexuality, I have never seen any evidence that indicates homosexuality is any more or less a choice than heterosexuality. I have also seen nothing that indicates that what one's "friend", neighbor, co-worker, or whatever, does with their heart or body parts in thier own private life is of any concern to anyone except the friend and the people they care about and for.

I respect that many Christians and Muslims have decided that their holy book has told them that a man doing things to another man is "an abonimation". That's fine, believe what you want. However, the beliefs of one person should never impinge on the rights of another person.

The mandate and natural duty of all humans is to protect and defend the liberties of themselves and those who have been assigned to their care. If one oversteps that line, they are, in my opinion, violating the rights of others and must be ready to accept that there will be consequences.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
have you ever noticed that people who are all for gay rights, are less tolerant of religious people?

Why should it be wrong for a religious person to be against gay people?

Because that is then discriminating against somebody's beliefs. If a devout catholic thinks gay people are unholy, then why should the devout be persecuted for his/her beliefs.

This is my point. There's a HUGE grey area here.

Being gay is a fact that can be proven.

A belief is just that. There are many belief systems, including satanism. If we accept and allow people to act or behave to whatever belief system they have, there would be anarchy.

Just becuase one persons has a belief, they should not force that belief on others or demand others adhere to their values based on that belief system.

edit on 24-12-2010 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Aside from the odd bad apple, nearly every gay person that i've met has been a pretty decent, well mannered person and a stand up bloke. That being said, my sister went through a phase where she felt the need to champion the gay cause ad nausium at every given opportunity and gawd it got irritating.

Homosexuality = no problem at all
Sister going on and on about it day in day out = please let me shoot myself!

So to add to the old cliche, i don't have a problem with gay's BUT.....my sister is a royal pain in the arse.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
www.savethemales.ca ...that is all.

edit on 24-12-2010 by citizensforthefuture because: the world is not ready.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I would like to applaud your post as being one of the most sensible on the thread. You have voiced my own mistification at the irrational prejudices people hold against a mass but sometimes not an individual. Top of the class Matey.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gseven
reply to post by Annee

As long as you stick with "choose" - - you are no friend. You are in full denial.

As long you ascribe to the notion that there is NO "choice", YOU, my friend, are in denial. Am I suppose to ignore the hoards of "recovering" homosexuals that insist otherwise?.

Oh please show me these 'hoards of "recovering" homosexuals' you speak of!!! Maybe a handful of brainwashed individuals who have been rammed back in the closet by some group of religious fundies, but trust me, inside they still want what they want... You CANNOT change your sexual orientation! You are attracted to what you are attracted to! Wanna prove me wrong? Then YOU go ahead and change YOUR sexual orientation! Good Luck on that one Skippy!!!! NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Im sure many of my friends and family disagree with the things I choose to do in my life, but I would hope that they would still show me love and have my back if I needed it.

I have found that friends are friends in spite of the things they do wrong moreso than what they do right. That is what friendship is all about -- accepting people in spite of their faults. It is our enemies whose faults we can't stand.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pumper
reply to post by arbitrarygeneraiist

Are you implying that we should remove "normal" alltogether?

Homosexuality is not normal, pedophilia is not normal, zoophilia is not normal, necrophilia is not normal, murder is not normal, molestation is not normal, torture is not normal, etc. Should all these things be called normal so that we wouldn't make the people doing it sad?

Get real.

I believe that all of those, outside of homosexuality, are disgusting and immoral.

At the end of the initial post by you that I replied to, you mentioned very casually that "it's just language." I was elaborating on what exactly language entails, essentially making the claim that it's how someone used the language that gives something meaning, be it constructive criticism or invidious hate. I was also elaborating upon what the reality is in terms of normalcy. Anybody can slap the label of normal on something and effectively exclude someone from that group.

For example, you might consider people being able to walk, talk, jump, and solve basic math equations as being normal. But to outright say to someone who is handicap, is mute, deaf, blind, or is mentally-handicapped that they are abnormal is... in my opinion wrong and disgusting. Would you tell any of those people that they aren't normal? I doubt it.

And similarly, to compare homosexuality to all of the things that you mentioned in your post, in my opinion isn't normal and is itself disgusting and wrong. Because what that does is demonize homosexuality by setting it on a level that is comparable to torture, murder, and molestation. It isn't any of those things. Not by a long shot.

Homosexual couples, like heterosexual couples, engage in romantic behavior with other adults, adhering to legal age and consent. That might have been something you deceptively overlooked in favor of bias and for the benefit of proving a point to me that wasn't conveyed very well.

I'm not saying that the term normal needs to be removed, I'm just saying that being gay isn't abnormal. You believe that being gay isn't normal. Well, there are people out there who believe that being straight isn't normal, and people who believe eating meat isn't normal. Etc, etc. Do you see where I'm getting at here?
edit on 24-12-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizensforthefuture

Please just stop with all the homosexual drivel. Why do you care so much to make a post about "equal rights"? You seem to be a prime example of a brainwashed citizen, influenced so heavily by the liberal media that you feel obliged to make a statement defending their "rights". If all of a sudden, the government and media started defending the rights of pedophiles, would you hop on the forum and comment "I'm friends with a pedophile, but...". Based on yet another post on the homosexual topic, I'm continually disgusted that half of this forum is still so brainwashed by the gay agenda. Please take it somewhere else. Homosexuality is not a necessary topic for this forum, unless you are talking about the possibility that it is a conspiracy driven movement, funded by the elites, to destroy family values, and degrade spiritual wealth. Thank you. And now, for the backlash of "pro-gays". If you agree with me, please respond with your support, because it's time we stop being afraid of "political correctness" with it comes to this issue. I do not have to be alright with homosexual behavior, and neither do you.

And if you haven't yet check out www.savethemales.ca
One of the few counter-opinion sites on this topic.
It's time men stop being passive, and start getting active.
edit on 24-12-2010 by citizensforthefuture because: (no reason given)

So by your logic, the movement for womens equal rights, allowing them to vote, or the black equal rights movement were wrong too?

Do you see them movements equal to protesting equal rights for pedo's.

I hope not.

It's a sad reflection on you if you can't see the difference between homosexuality and being a pedo.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by Torgo

.Well it was until it was discovered it was an Australian that was being referred to! All they had to do was say sorry (without being prompted) & explain it was a cross culture misunderstanding & it would have been cool & forgotten!. But the reply post was non apologetic & reeked off arrogance which seems he knew exactly what he was doing all along!

It was NEVER directed at any SINGLE individual, or those of any SPECIFIC national origin, which any IDIOT who actually read the OP can tell. But really good job on attempting to derail the thread with this trivial BS, Skippy!!! .

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

edit on 24-12-2010 by citizensforthefuture because: The world is not ready.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Totally agree with you 100% OP.

One of my best friends whom I've known since I was 10 recently came out of closet.

He is an awesome guy, and I could never, ever, EVER be against him having every single right that any other person has.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I don't think that having an opinion against homosexuality is wrong, as you're claiming. Just be prepared for the backlash of retorts and common sense that having such an opinion will bring to yourself.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

It's not about having less rights, considering gays probably have more rights than me.

Oh please! Tell me just ONE right I have that you don't!!!! JUST ONE!!!!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
This just kills me. In EVERY gay themed thread, those opposed to homosexuals and/or homosexuality inevitably say something like, "I have gay friends, but...", followed by how they disagree with the gay rights movement or homosexuality in general. Well, I got news for you Skippy, if you were really a friend, you would not want that person to have fewer rights than you do, and/or have that person feel like a social outcast, and/or have anything but happiness in their lives and to be able to share that life with the person of their choice.

So the next time you feel the urge to tell us how you have gay friends right in the middle of telling us how homosexuality is wrong, unnatural or unworthy of equal rights, just remember that you are NOT the kind of friend anyone would want to have at best, and just a plain lying hypocrite at worst...

(An aquaintance is NOT the same as a friend...)

S&F Jaxon.

It bugs me too, but I do think every one of us has used that sentence construction without a second thought in one context or another without any willful deceit, and sometimes justifiably.

For example the 6 (?) year old who was duct taped to a chair at school; I can honestly say that my lady love is an educator and I do have lots of friends who are educators, BUT (lol) that was just wrong.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by blangger

You're right. It isn't a right to serve in the military until the draft and the government orders you to serve, then it becomes your right, and the privilege to decline is removed.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join