It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

RIGHTS:

Rights are variously construed as legal, social, or moral freedoms to act or refrain from acting, or entitlements to be acted upon or not acted upon. While the concept is fundamental to civilized societies, there is considerable disagreement about what is meant precisely by the term rights. ...

Moral freedom = opinion.

Please don't try and patronise me.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by blangger
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

They can not EVER serve this country just because we are "under God" and you can NOT be under God and gay, so you can never swear an oath! These people are screwed up in the head! Bottom line!!!

You're silly. The only person screwed up in the head here is yourself. To think that God doesn't love and accept all of his creations is absurd. Are you God? No you aren't. Nor are you God's voice.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

LoL, being a friend does not mean you have no opinions or judgments about said person.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blangger

I thought we were all God's children? Evidently not through judging by your less than Christian and reactionary statement.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

LGBT, Change.org has gay rights as one of thier platforms. If people had been screaming for equal rights I would agree, but that is not what is wanted. On a side note, I noticed that we made it a law that Afghanistan has to have 1/4 of its parliament made up of Women. Even if there is a more qualified man . Theres your equal rights for you. The goal is to NOT interfere with others lives. You start a group to conserve something in this world and you better be ready to Kill because that is what you will have to do.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

They can not EVER serve this country just because we are "under God" and you can NOT be under God and gay, so you can never swear an oath! These people are screwed up in the head! Bottom line!!!

What service oath has "under God" in it? I believe they say, "So help me, God". Regardless, "under God" is from the pledge of allegiance and "under God" was added in 1957, I believe. So, your post is really just full of ... opinion.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
reply to post by Annee

RIGHTS:

Rights are variously construed as legal, social, or moral freedoms to act or refrain from acting, or entitlements to be acted upon or not acted upon. While the concept is fundamental to civilized societies, there is considerable disagreement about what is meant precisely by the term rights. ...

Moral freedom = opinion.

Please don't try and patronise me.

I can't help your perception or interpretation of my comments.

Every person deserves and is entitled to the same Equal Rights.

Moral has to do with belief. It has nothing to do with Legal Equal Rights.

You nor anyone will dictate "Moral" to me.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by arbitrarygeneraiist

reply to post by JaxonRoberts

You're silly. The only person screwed up in the head here is yourself. To think that God doesn't love and accept all of his creations is absurd. Are you God? No you aren't. Nor are you God's voice.

This is Americans policy NOT God. You can not serve God/America when you don't follow what was written.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoundTheory
reply to post by Annee

LGBT, Change.org has gay rights as one of thier platforms. If people had been screaming for equal rights I would agree, but that is not what is wanted. On a side note, I noticed that we made it a law that Afghanistan has to have 1/4 of its parliament made up of Women. Even if there is a more qualified man . Theres your equal rights for you. The goal is to NOT interfere with others lives. You start a group to conserve something in this world and you better be ready to Kill because that is what you will have to do.

You choose to interpret it that way.

LGBT (all now often referred to as Gay) - - is the minority group. Gay as in minority - - same as Black - - same as Women - etc.

It is about a minority group having the same Equal Rights as every one else.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by arbitrarygeneraiist

Are you implying that we should remove "normal" alltogether?

Homosexuality is not normal, pedophilia is not normal, zoophilia is not normal, necrophilia is not normal, murder is not normal, molestation is not normal, torture is not normal, etc. Should all these things be called normal so that we wouldn't make the people doing it sad?

Get real.

link   
double post
edit on 24-12-2010 by Pumper because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by SoundTheory
LGBT, Change.org has gay rights as one of thier platforms.

What is "Gay Rights"?

The concept that people of minority sexual orientations, such as homosexuality, are entitled to all the rights and considerations due to the majority orientation.

Hope that clears up the use of the term.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

You can not serve God/America when you don't follow what was written.

"...follow what was written"? What exactly was written? Show me what was written that excludes gay people from serving in the military, please.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by Sinnthia
reply to post by neonitus

Not that I am gay but if you have any opinions against the way I was born in any way shape or form and you call yourself my friend, you are a liar.

Man! What world to you think you are living in? You dont think that gay or strait folks have opinions that go against those of their friends. Wake up and stop being such a baby.

Opinions and acceptance of birth right are not the same thing.

But we have foremost the right to be free of each others conscience. In harmony at large but as individuals in conflict yet free.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have all kinds of friends, and I honestly can't think of even one that doesn't have some belief or habit, or something that annoys, me. Or belief I disagree with, or something to that affect. Just because someone is your friend, or even family, does not mean you have to agree with them 100% about everything they say, they do, or they think.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The thing about minority rights is that the minorities pay taxes like everyone else. For members of the gay minority to pay taxes and have state supported discrimination (i.e. by not making REASONABLE attempts to grant them equality) must be a terrible thing to behold.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

You can not serve God/America when you don't follow what was written.

"...follow what was written"? What exactly was written? Show me what was written that excludes gay people from serving in the military, please.

Sodom and Gommorah is all I have to quote. Not to mention it is not a right to serve the military it is a privilege. Or are you saying that an 80 year old can join?
edit on 24-12-2010 by blangger because: added

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I can't help your perception or interpretation of my comments.

Every person deserves and is entitled to the same Equal Rights.

Moral has to do with belief. It has nothing to do with Legal Equal Rights.

You nor anyone will dictate "Moral" to me.

What you are probably unaware of is your statement "that every person deserves and is entitled to the same Equal Rights" is based off of an opinion coming from a society that values equality and rights. What is the baseline for equal rights? Does it stem from the West's view of what constitutes equal and fair? Why does everyone deserve Equal Rights? Because you say so? Because you and your friends think so? Because you and most people in the country you happen to be living think so?

Ironically, your second and third statements are based off a system of morality which values independent thought and assumes there is an objective universal standard which applies to all people of all locations of all cultures in regards to the freedoms and privileges they should enjoy. This is incorrect. Everything is based on an opinion and/or a perception.
edit on 24/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: fixed language

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Pumper

Are you suggesting homosexuality is the equivalent of pedophilia and murder?

You know, you are a really sad person my friend. The only reason you dislike homosexuals is out of fear, it is the scared and helpless child within you that is causing your rage.

I would like to know how in any way shape or form, has homosexuality ever harmed you or your family/friends that is a direct result of homosexuality and not just that particular homosexual, if you have ever even met any.

Do you have any substantial evidence to back up your claims? Any facts? Proof? Or is it just what you have been told throughout your life by other ignorant and petrified people?

You and I are no better or worse than any homosexual and it makes me sick that there is even a reason for a thread that makes the distinction between homosexuals and heterosexuals, it feels like it is now an “us” and “them” battle rather than “we”. Every time you open your mouth or type this ignorance onto the internet all it shows us is that you are a shivering little child, afraid of the world around you and things your mind has not developed enough to comprehend.

We are all humans, we all have the feelings of joy, sadness, anger, and love. There is no gay joy, gay sadness, gay anger, or gay love, okay? That does not exist, it cannot exist when we are all humans.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

I think you're as insane as you assume people who choose to be gay are. And while you didn't make that direct claim - the very fact that you believe gay people would CHOOSE a life where prejudice, redicule, neglect, abandonment, abuse, government sanctioned torture (in some places) is an everyday thing must necessitate that they are somehow insane at worst and irrational at best. It is astonishing to me that someone who is obviously intelligent could maintain this rediculous perception after being told time and time and time agian that there is no such choice being made by homosexuals. Give me one solid reason why someone would choose this life? Just this past september we saw 8 people CHOOSE to end their lives rather than endure the torture imposed on them by people who think exactly the same way you do. Don't you think that of these 8 people, at least one of them would have chosen to be heterosexual to escape their torment? If it's such an easy choice - why didn't they choose heterosexuality? Because they couldn't. That choice was not available to them the same way it's not available to you or me or anyone else. A gay man can have sex with a woman all day long - and they have, for centuries, but that never made them straight.
And thank you for bringing up the old reproduction argument agian...because apparently it needs to be addressed agian. It is very true that at least biologically, man and woman are designed to reproduce. However, the desire to reproduce is not evident in every man and woman. Does that make them unnatural? I think not! And if, in fact, it did mean that these people were "unnatural", would that also necessitate that they are some how less than those who do reproduce are? Most certainly not! Homosexuality has been demonstrated time and time agian in nature - in species different and similar to ours...you're not suggesting that these animals are also making a choice to be gay, are you?
I think that this choice argument hinges on a false supposition that homosexuality is about only about sex. It's not really. Our sexuality about who we love and want to be with and why we want to be with them. Homosexuals desire, by virture of instinct, to be with members of their same sex for a multitude of reasons - not just sex. Would you say that your love for a woman is solely dependant on your sexual interaction with her - I hope not. Hopefully, you would love her for many reasons - her sex being only one of them. It is the same with homosexuals.
So, think real hard about the day you decided that you were a heterosexual and I think you'll find that you made no such choice at all. You simply knew it - there was no question. I never made that choice either.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join