It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Can we also add having
"Black friends"
and
"Muslim friends"

to your post?

Ok so conversely this means that I cant be your friend if I dont believe and support all that you do. Wake up Jr! What kind of third rate relationships have you been having?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
reply to post by Annee

You've never heard about gay rights?

May i ask what planet you recently beamed down from? Or have you just stepped forward from a slightly more bigoted age like the 1940's or something?

en.wikipedia.org...

Explain gay rights.

To my knowledge the quest is for equal rights.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pumper

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by Carseller4

No gays, just 'normal people'.

Can you hear yourself?

Could you please tell us in what way being gay is "normal"? It doesn't have to become another "bad" word. You should look at the dictionary what "normal" actually means before attacking someone:

NORMAL

1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
2. serving to establish a standard.
3. a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b. free from any mental disorder; sane.

As you can see - normal does not apply when talking about homosexuals. Live with it. It's just language.

Nobody is normal. Nobody completely conforms or adheres to a typical and nonexistent social norm. That's because there's isn't a universally accepted social norm. So to imply that a person who is different in any way is somehow abnormal is nothing short of being nonsensical, as there is no standard of normalcy by which to measure what is normal and what is not normal.

Your social perception does not equal the social perception that someone else has. So homosexuals are different, just like you are different. You are not normal. Nobody is sane.
edit on 24-12-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

But does equality also mean they can be criticised just as much as i could criticise a straight friend?

Or is that where the so called equality stop?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

But does equality also mean they can be criticised just as much as i could criticise a straight friend?

The only people who in my opinion who consider Gay Rights - - Extra Rights.

Are those who can't accept them as equal.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

A personal standard of decency (or lack thereof) and a desire to discriminate against anybody and everybody for whatever bigoted or silly reason doesn't have anything to do with equal rights. You can hate homosexuals, black people, white people, Hispanic people, Muslims, just as long as you don't interfere with them being of equal value and worth to yourself.
edit on 24-12-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

If you were a true friend, you'd want better for them. That's not the same for everyone. Sucks to be you. I have a bi friend. We argue a lot. I tell him his life style is not anything I want to do with and dislike. We still play games together and debate many things.

Sorry to tell you, not every friendship is happy bunny and "I accept you". True friendship is "I do not accept what you do, but still like who you are as a person." Suck it up and be a man. Not everyone agrees with you. That's not a reason to hate them nor stop be friends.
edit on 24-12-2010 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
i've got some opinions against homosexuality, and against some the the rights they want. should that mean i cant be friends with them?

It doesn't mean that you CAN'T be. It just means that you aren't.

Great thread, Jax.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

Im gay, and proud to be so, my friend, listen. We gays want some rights, that society doesnt want us to have. Let's put the situation on reverse, so you can understand a bit. Imagine you were born in a world where the norm is that you have to marry a person from the same sex. You were inclined to be attracted to the opposite, since you can remember. But the problem is that the society frowns down upon all those who are "straight". You would want to move mountains so you could have the opportunity to be happy with the person you love of the opposite sex.
This would be a real nightmare, wouldnt it?. Now imagine how hard it is for us gays to live a normal life like everyone else. This is a nightmare, we gays DID NOT CHOOSE that upon ourselves. Dont try to force down our throats something you dopnt want ANYONE to shvoe down YOUR throat.
We, speaking for most of the GBLTT community, had our sexual inclinations since ever, and that is nobody's buisiness, we dont intrude upon other people's Free Will, why would you guys want to intrude upon ours? If you dont have ANYTHING POSITIVE to say, its best if you just swallow your pride and dont say anything. If you have any HONEST question, feel free to ask, Im sure that I or any other Fellow gay will gladly answer your question.
sincerely, Mr. Moonlight

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by arbitrarygeneraiist

Let me get one thing straight. I don't hate anyone. I consider myself equal amongst all of humanity, whether you are into sex with other men, or totally celibate.

The ONLY thing that bugs me, is the fact that if i was to criticise person A, it would be fine, but if i was to criticise person B, then i'm a bigot.

How is that equality?

Short answer: It's not.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
Sorry to tell you, not every friendship is happy bunny and "I accept you".

It's not about accepting everything a friend does. I have friends and family members and I don't accept or approve of everything they do. But I want the same RIGHTS for them as I have.
It's about legal rights.

The ONLY thing that bugs me, is the fact that if i was to criticise person A, it would be fine, but if i was to criticise person B, then i'm a bigot.

Again, it's not about being critical, it's about wanting equal rights for all. You can criticize your friends, but to want them to have fewer rights than you do IS bigotry.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Well of course I'm not normal in some aspects of personality and lifestyle and I don't deny it. So why would homosexuals be offended when someone says that being gay is not normal which implies that gay people are not normal. When it comes to sexual orientation, the word "normal" describes the majority - male+female.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Let me get one thing straight. I don't hate anyone. I consider myself equal amongst all of humanity, whether you are into sex with other men, or totally celibate.

How is that equality?

I starred you because you make sense, and I agree. I didn't mean to imply that you hated anybody, I was just being vague and general. But equality is equality. Nobody should be exempt from being criticized. Person A and person B should be allowed to be criticized equally.

Mostly I think the problem with criticism is how it's displayed and expressed, and for what reason a person is being criticized, which is why I mentioned a person's standard of decency.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

Unnatural-ever heard of DNA and genes? Old school/Old Testament, bet your favorite joke is:-one friend to another 'my Mother made me a Homosexual. Other friends response 'will she make me one?'.

Human sexuality is both fluid and bespoke. You are telling me that apart from your appalling childhood experience that you have never not once felt an attraction or appreciation for your own sex?

Monsters, scapegoats ,angels and demons, heaven and hell, God, morality, law and language – it’s all metaphor - a scaffolding for humans to cling to because we cannot face reality, a reality which is too naked and vast for you to live with.

You act as if the universe was at risk when others challenge your codes ie: Homosexuality. It's no wonder you take offence so easily because you evidently see it as a direct challenge and reject those who appear to threaten you.

Wake up Dorothy, this is real life not #ing Kansas.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Strongly disagree with the Opening Post. This thread is little more than a convenient way to negatively label those who are against certain issues and agendas. It is very absurd.

Does this mean a father with very conservative values cannot have a strong, healthy relationship with his son that is staunchly liberal?

Does this mean a vegetarian cannot be friends with somebody that eats meat?

Does this mean somebody who is religious cannot have a true friendship with somebody who is Atheist or Agnostic?

If your friendship is based on whether somebody supports Gay Rights or not, then perhaps you are the one with the problem. True friends can disagree on Ideological and political issues and still remain friends. My best friend at one point was somebody that always seemed to take the contrary position to the one I took. Very few topics we agreed on, but it was the discussion and what we brought out in each other that made the friendship real.
edit on 24/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling, added extra stuff

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

'It's not all show tunes and soft fabrics'. It's not very often I'm jealous of other peoples witticisms but my God today is the day.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I agree. I totally do.

I also find it horrible that in some 3rd world countries, some people are killed, tortured or imprisoned due to their sexual orientation. That really is dark age stuff and quite sickening.

BUT

I also find counter-discrimination (as is found in many corporations and workplaces) also sickening. One of my friends was working in a cinema. When he was working there, a gay guy kept hitting on him and asking him very rude questions and occasionally touched him up.

When my friend made a complaint, it was my friend who got in trouble for discrimination and the gay guy got away with it. My friend left shortly after as he felt powerless.

YET - if my friend had been the one who was doing that to a female colleague, it would have been him who'd have been in trouble.

This is what i mean about a lack of equality.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

How is that equality?

Equal Rights is not about opinion.

You are mixing up two different things.

link   

They can not EVER serve this country just because we are "under God" and you can NOT be under God and gay, so you can never swear an oath! These people are screwed up in the head! Bottom line!!!

link   
reply to post by Pumper

Because it's the general tone of what being called "abnormal" implies. You might say that you wouldn't care if someone said you weren't normal, but if people said you weren't normal enough times, it would begin to affect you.

It isn't so much the word as it is the intention behind of the word being used, and how the word is being used.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join