It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by Annee

Most ignorant comment on here.
Makes perfect sense to a normal person.

I've read many of your posts - here and in other threads.

I'll just leave it at that.
Likewise, I'm sure. We both are on opposite sides of this issue, and it seems that you feel only those on your side have a right to an opinion. I'll just leave it at that.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Who said your opinion didn't matter? I surely did not.

I was only pointing out the ignorance and irony of your post.
You offered no opinion, only an insult. After looking at your sign in date it became obvious that 20 posts was not your agenda. Thanks for clarification on that though.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

I understand that the post was in reply to DrChuck, I was just seeing if I understood what you were implying correctly.

That is. If someone finds being intimate with a person of the same sex gross, does that mean they disagree with homosexuality?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Toy_soldier

No not at all.. I don't want to think about it either.. Just like a vagina grosses out some of my gay friends.. They are really disturbed by it..

he keeps saying he disagrees with homosexuality.. Like he disagrees with it, like it is a decision...

That would be like me "disagreeing with you being tall" .. I might be jealous of it.. But it would be silly to say I "disagree" with it.
edit on 12/30/2010 by Resurrectio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Oh Lord, what is it with semantics? One person condemns me for using "treat" and "homosexuality" in one sentence, I still don't know why its so objectionable. And you get overly histrionic over "agree"? If you get this emotional over such a stupid, trivial matter, you seriously have a problem.

What f@#kin difference does it make if I use "don't like" or "disagree" or whatever other word that denotes my opinion on homosexuality. I swear, you try to dress up words for "sensitive" reasons and your flamed, use normal words and your flamed for insensitivity, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Do I think they should abstain from sex because I disagree? You know, I wish my opinion was that important that a person would actually abstain from sex. Quite being so over dramatic with the words I use, focus on the context.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DrChuck

You really don't understand?

"treat homosexuality"... Like treating cancer? Like treating the flu? You don't see the issue there?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Homophobe, I love that word, a pathetic attempt to discredit and demoralize anyone with a differing opinion. I'm also a videogamephobe, turkeyphobe, Lakersphobe, celeryphobe - but I'm actually a closet lover of videogames, turkey club sandwiches, the Lakers and celery, but don't tell anyone.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Go back and read the post. The context in no way refers to treating a condition.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Who said your opinion didn't matter? I surely did not.

Neither did I.

If you know a posters has an opposing opinion on a "specific subject" - - and engaging that poster will only result in back and forth "ping pong" with no real discussion. Don't engage that poster. I'm stopping me from giving an opinion - - not the other poster.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This thread has now officially been derailed. It is now the subject of "Proper use of words in a debate related to homosexuality".

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DrChuck

That is EXACTLY what it turned into the last time I tried to add my 2cents in this thread.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Is that why this thread is so long?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I REPLIED TO WRONG MEMBER, THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A REPLY TO DRCHUCK

Due to the fact that I suffer from moronophobia, I think I will start ignoring your clarification posts. I also have a really high intolerance for close minded people..

The though of two men having sex is not my cup of tea... But the desire to see another human truly happy allows me to get past any uncomfortable feelings I had.

I am not religious ... So religion never plays a roll in any of my decisions.. Religious people that feel this is some sort of sin, do get my understanding. I do not agree, but I understand.

Any other disagreement, other than religious view, are from close minded people that do not truly care about ALL others happiness. Nobody is pushing it on you.. Nobody is trying to "turn" you. If you take out the sexual part and just make it 2 humans that love each other, it is actually a beautiful stage in history where homosexuals can live like you and I, without fear or shame.

The above statements are my opinion... I find that my opinion does not always match the main stream... So don't take my opinion as a knock or a insult.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Due to the fact that I suffer from moronophobia, I think I will start ignoring your clarification posts. I also have a really high intolerance for close minded people..

The though of two men having sex is not my cup of tea... But the desire to see another human truly happy allows me to get past any uncomfortable feelings I had.

I am not religious ... So religion never plays a roll in any of my decisions.. Religious people that feel this is some sort of sin, do get my understanding. I do not agree, but I understand.

Any other disagreement, other than religious view, are from close minded people that do not truly care about ALL others happiness. Nobody is pushing it on you.. Nobody is trying to "turn" you. If you take out the sexual part and just make it 2 humans that love each other, it is actually a beautiful stage in history where homosexuals can live like you and I, without fear or shame.

The above statements are my opinion... I find that my opinion does not always match the main stream... So don't take my opinion as a knock or a insult.

Are you sure that response is meant for me? I have zero problems with homosexuality (though, like I said, and like you just said, the thought of 2 men having sex is not my cup of tea).

As I've stated before, I believe fully that gay people (including my best friend) deserve the same rights and respect as straight people. 100% My "clarification post" earlier was exactly that, just me trying to clarify what you meant in a statement to another member.

I am also not religious, but I'm also not a person you'll see knocking or bashing homosexuals or what they get up to in their own time.

The point I've constantly been trying to get through on this thread is this: It is most definitely possible to be friends with a homosexual regardless of whether or not you "agree with" or "like" or anything really with homosexuality.

I'm not saying that I DON'T agree with or support homosexuality, I just don't see why anyone who doesn't couldn't be friends with a homosexual.

And, to quote myself on a post I sent earlier tonight, "The fact that there's still people out there that would be so prejudice against gay people seriously blows my mind."

I actually agree with everything you said in the above post, except for the fact that it was directed at myself.
edit on 30-12-2010 by Toy_soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

My bad.. No it was not meant for you.. It was meant for chuck. My apologies!

I have no issue with you or your opinion. I am truly sorry that people will now think that was directed at you. I will attempt to clarify that on the post.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

But adifferentbreed himself continues to use the word "disagree".
I am beginning to wonder about the reading comphrehension of some folks. Some are starting to hear the message, it looks like others, for some reason, are going to be permanently unable to grasp the concept of choice vs something you are born with.
You can disagree with the choices a person makes, but you cannot disagree with a condition he was born with. If I said I disagreed with someone being straight would that not sound rediculous?? Of course it would. I would neve make that kind of statement.

This horse ain't quite dead, just stupid,
but I'm not sure there's any point flogging it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

No worries. Kinda had me confused there ...

Thanks for the edit to try and clear it up!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I REPLIED TO WRONG MEMBER, THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A REPLY TO DRCHUCK

Should have done that from the beginning.

You make me out as anti-gay activist, whos working towards the extermination of gay rights and happiness. Have you even read any of my initial posts in this thread?

How does my opinion play any part in someone elses happiness? Not liking or "disagreeing" with something does not imply uncaring or indifference to someones happiness. If thats what makes you happy, then by all means pursue it, I won't stop you, but I reserve the right to my own thoughts. Dispositions of others have no bearing on me.
Where do you come up with the idea that I think someones trying to "turn" me or push me? My dislike for something doesn't always come with an agenda. Its an opinion that I hold, it affects nobody, physically hurts nobody, or restricts anybody.

No insult taken, takes more of a person to do that. I'm a moron after all.

edit on 30-12-2010 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Tell me if this makes sense. Honestly - I am trying to be fair.

You treat homosexuality as if its the principal defining characteristic of a person.
You treat heterosexuality as if its the principal defining characteristic of a person.

Is it a characteristic? Pertaining to, constituting, or indicating the character or peculiar quality of a person or thing
---------------------

Dr Chuck - - I do understand what you are trying to say. But the way you say things - - I can "feel" the uncomfortableness of your issue with homosexuality.

Your gay "friends" can feel it too. Its there - its real.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
You can be friends with someone and disagree with certain aspects of the way they live their life.

To be a friend to someone doesn't mean that you have to accept everything about them. My best friend is hispanic and we disagree, sometimes violently (no blows yet, just words) about how illegal immigration should be handled. He accepts my opinion and accept his, even if we don't respect it.

The same with my homosexual friends, yes they are my friends. They come to the house for football and bbq's and my wife and I go to one couples house once a month for dinner. We acknowledged early on that while I don't agree with the way they live, I think that they are good people and enjoy hanging out with them. They came clean about not caring much of my view on homosexuality, but admitted that they appreciate my candidness and the fact that I didn't ridicule them.

Do I think homosexuals should be able to marry? no.

Do I think they should be able to have civil unions and recieve everything that goes with that title? yes.

Should they be allowed to adopt? Depends on the couple, just like hetero sexual couples.

Should they be in the military openly? Yes, but they must be seperated like males and females are according to their sex and sexuality.

Should they be in combat units? no.

I have gay friends, but...............

new topics

top topics

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join