It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Originally posted by King_John
To OP, so you're saying you can't be friends with somebody unless you agree with every life choice they make?

Please make the case that being gay is a choice that no one else is able to make. Please do elaborate on how you came to your decision as to be excited by the males that turn you on or the females that turn you on.

Even if it's not a choice, I don't see why you have to approve of a person's lifestyle in order to be friends with them. I'm not gay and the idea of men on men intimacy kind of grosses me out, but I think I would be able to look past that if I found out a friend of mine is gay, it doesn't mean that I have to approve of it.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
So if I have friends whose lifestyles that I do not agree with, then I should erase them from my friends list? I have a friend that I have know since I was 10 years old. He drinks to much and uses woman. I do not agree with the life style that he has chosen to live. I base our friendship on other things that we have in common. I do not have any gay friends, but if I met someone that shared other interests that we have in common then I envision that I could be friends with such an individual and disagree with his gay lifestyle. Friendships can develop irregardless of a persons sexual preferences or other personality traits that I might not agree with or even find offensive.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

The way I see it - and the gay people I know (who I care about, as opposed to merely know of) - the god hating, loony, nun habit wearing, pope mocking, heterosexual hating, parading folk who wallow in sexual perversity and who also stand for so called equality and tolerance, are exactly who they don't want speaking for them.

They want to just be normal, everyday people... not freaks who parade around in their undies or their bras wiggling every bit they have at cameras and shouting slogans..

So..

Not sure I get what you mean. Gay pride... if it's not a choice, how can you be proud of it. White pride? Black pride? Down Syndrome Pride?

I'm proud to wear a hat yall, and that's that yall, and if you try to take my hat I'll take it back yall... ????? (Apologies to Run DMC)

Purple Red Blue... it's all the same colour when you bleed it.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It all comes down to respect. If you don't respect your friend’s right to be treated in society as an equal then you are the one that isn't a friend.

I'm surprised to hear people still having the opinion that it's a choice and the old, penis is meant for the vagina point of view.

If it was a choice, homosexuality would have died out long ago due to the harsh unforgiving attitude of society has had towards that sexuality.

I remember reading an awful story about a gay man here in the UK in the 70's. He was disowned by his family, given electric shock therapy to make him straight which he of course wanted. He's still gay but has trouble dealing with the mental and physical torture he was put through.

As for the penis and vagina thing, you could counter that argument by saying; men have a g spot inside their rectum which can only be used by penetration.

As for the procreation, well gay people are fertile and can have surrogates, much like infertile straight couples do. Gay people are paternal/maternal and can raise children just as good as straight couples do.

I believe homosexuality is an important part of the human species mix. It's only been religion that has twisted people’s minds into believing they are all evil, unnatural perverts.

edit on 24-12-2010 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

An important corollary of your view is that Ihave no intention of asking aquaaintances who may become friends about thehere sexuality. I don't feel I need to know. It is also damn rude of me to go asking people so I take people as I find them because I am not obsessed about who may be gay.

Now when it comes to character I am a lot more choosy.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
You can absolutely have a friend and disagree with some aspect of their life. You'll never ever have the same point of view on every single situation with someone.

I cannot stand smoking, absolutely hate it, but I have friends who smoke and there's no way I'm going to let something we don't see eye to eye on get in the way of our friendship. It's the same with gay people. While I don't have any problems with people being gay or them having all the same rights as a straight person, a person can disagree with homosexuality and still call a gay person a friend.

Who the hell bases friendships on sexual preference anyway?? What my friends do to get their rocks off is nobodies business but their own.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Very well said! I'm in complete agreement with you and I'm glad to see this post.

I have gay friends and they are some of the best I've had. I'm hetero as can be, but I'm 100% for gay rights. I think they should have the same privileges as the rest of us. I don't think it should go overboard and allow them MORE rights than the average person, but I see no reason why they shouldn't have equal rights.

The way I see it, what people do is their own business. As long as someone isn't hurting someone else by what they do, and I think we can agree that no one ever got hurt simply because another person was gay, they shouldn't be treated any different than the rest of us.

I fail to see why people choose to make other people's lives their own business, when it isn't affecting them at all. Gays are humans too.

For the most part, I consider myself to be a Christian (oh nooooes! A Christian for gay rights!
) but Christianity aside, not all people are like me, or make the same decisions as me, or choose to live like me, and that's ok. We all have to share this planet together, so I don't care what race, religion, sex, sexual preference, etc, etc... as long as someone isn't a threat to society and are just living their lives, I think we all deserve the same rights.
edit on 12/24/2010 by gemineye because: edited for clarity

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Hi Jaxon,

I do not say "I have gay friends but...".

I say "I have gay friends and...".

They are some of the most entertaining people I have ever met.

They are some of the most loyal people I have ever met.

They are some of the most caring people I have ever met - caring about people, animals and the planet.

They are some of the most honest people I have ever met.

Could not of said that better myself !

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
i've got some opinions against homosexuality, and against some the the rights they want. should that mean i cant be friends with them?

Exactly. Exactly. I've got a couple of gay friends and colleagues, but i also think it's unnatural. But just because i think what they do is wrong, doesn't mean I can't be friends with them.

It's not about having less rights, considering gays probably have more rights than me.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by neonitus
i've got some opinions against homosexuality, and against some the the rights they want. should that mean i cant be friends with them?

Exactly. Exactly. I've got a couple of gay friends and colleagues, but i also think it's unnatural. But just because i think what they do is wrong, doesn't mean I can't be friends with them.

It's not about having less rights, considering gays probably have more rights than me.

Really?

What rights would those be?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toy_soldier

Who the hell bases friendships on sexual preference anyway?? What my friends do to get their rocks off is nobodies business but their own.

Its not a preference. Its their orientation. Their birth right.

I don't know how anyone can call themself a friend - - if they continue to believe it is a choice.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

So it's okay to disagree with a person because he or she is naturally attracted to the same gender?

Gay male friend: "Yo bro, I'm seriously attracted to men."

You: "I disagree."

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Toy_soldier

Person: "I was naturally born without function in my legs, so now I'm confined to a wheelchair."

You: "I disagree and I hate your lifestyle as a paraplegic. But I'm your good friend, okay?"

edit on 24-12-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
reply to post by badw0lf

An important corollary of your view is that Ihave no intention of asking aquaaintances who may become friends about thehere sexuality. I don't feel I need to know. It is also damn rude of me to go asking people so I take people as I find them because I am not obsessed about who may be gay.

Now when it comes to character I am a lot more choosy.

Try telling that to someone you know well who is married to a same sex partner who is abusing her, and she asks for help in being rid of said partner.

And you are in a pickle, so you decline helping in the way she asks. But just be supportive.

Who you share many nights with, over a few drinks and what not, listening to her troubles being separated from that psychotic woman.

Dont ask dont tell, but then again, we're talking about FRIENDS.

edit on 24/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by Carseller4

No gays, just 'normal people'.

Can you hear yourself?

Could you please tell us in what way being gay is "normal"? It doesn't have to become another "bad" word. You should look at the dictionary what "normal" actually means before attacking someone:

NORMAL

1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
2. serving to establish a standard.
3. a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b. free from any mental disorder; sane.

As you can see - normal does not apply when talking about homosexuals. Live with it. It's just language.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

reply to post by neonitus

Not that I am gay but if you have any opinions against the way I was born in any way shape or form and you call yourself my friend, you are a liar.

Man! What world to you think you are living in? You dont think that gay or strait folks have opinions that go against those of their friends. Wake up and stop being such a baby.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You've never heard about gay rights?

May i ask what planet you recently beamed down from? Or have you just stepped forward from a slightly more bigoted age like the 1940's or something?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Pumper

Its the context with how you used it.

I'm sure there are some traits of your own personality which can be seen as not normal.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

reply to post by neonitus

Not that I am gay but if you have any opinions against the way I was born in any way shape or form and you call yourself my friend, you are a liar.

Man! What world to you think you are living in? You dont think that gay or strait folks have opinions that go against those of their friends. Wake up and stop being such a baby.

Opinions and acceptance of birth right are not the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join