It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
reply to post by Annee

Annee, we must resign ourselves to knowing that staunchly religious folks will never become spiritually enlightened beings, not in this lifetime anyway. We must continue our agenda with or without their consent or blessings.

It has nothing to do with religion.

I am straight - - and I don't want the Moral Police interfering with my life either.

Equal Rights is about Equal Rights. It is about Equality by Law. Personal belief is irrelevant - - even if majority choose that belief.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

It seems you're not considering an important factor. Promiscuity leads to an unfit species. It causes dysgenics within the species. I don't think this is too hard for most individuals to grasp, rather that it's merely conveniently overlooked so as to ...get it on with whomever, whenever. There is reason promiscuity is regarded as a societal sin, throughout a good chunk of our history. It's an obvious err for anyone who has a basic understanding of microbiology. Sticking it in the bum increases std's, as the anal lining easily tears, and the anal tract is a cesspool reservoir. If two individuals strongly desire to engage in anal sex, I strongly encourage the use of a condom, and to make this partner your only.

Unity, I would never advocate promiscuity, as it can cause emotional harm to people who are betrayed, but it does not cause dysgenics.

Dysgenics (also known as cacogenics) is the study of factors producing the accumulation and perpetuation of defective or disadvantageous genes and traits in offspring of a particular population or species.

It is quite possible that a promiscuous woman will choose partners who, when their genes are combined with hers, will produce children with less genetic defects than her husband could.

Are you aware that women tend to be attracted to the smell of men who will be able to help them procreate a child with the best range of immunities? Their could be an evolutionary advantage for women in choosing the man best suited to playing the role of father, provider and companion, and then procreating with the men best suited to creating healthy, robust children.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Other societies have rendered many of the concepts of marriage and divorce moot as we know them in the US. I have left that society for good. It is a great nation in many ways but it has become infected. It has become quite the opposite of what it claims to stand for.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

How exactly are matters of laws formed? Laws are simply the result of a group consensus - at one time or another - of the social rules and expectations agreed upon by those in power at the time of their construction. You fail to see that statements such as "not opinion, it is law" are inaccurate because ALL forms of law were put into effect through popular opinion of those in power at the time!

If a person who happens to share a trait considered as part of the majority loses a single freedom or opportunity to make room for somebody with a minority trait, that is not Equal Rights. It is actually discriminating against somebody who has traits that fall in the majority and using the euphemism "making it even".
edit on 25/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
How exactly are matters of laws formed? Laws are simply the result of a group consensus - at one time or another - of the social rules and expectations agreed upon by those in power at the time of their construction. You fail to see that statements such as "not opinion, it is law" are inaccurate because ALL forms of law were put into effect through popular opinion of those in power at the time!

I understand as people began living closer to each other in communities - - laws had to be made to keep harmony.

Laws also protect the minority from majority.

Laws can be about specific issues for specific reasons.

There are many reasons for laws.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

Annee, we must resign ourselves to knowing that staunchly religious folks will never become spiritually enlightened beings, not in this lifetime anyway. We must continue our agenda with or without their consent or blessings.

It has nothing to do with religion.

I am straight - - and I don't want the Moral Police interfering with my life either.

Equal Rights is about Equal Rights. It is about Equality by Law. Personal belief is irrelevant - - even if majority choose that belief.

I am straight as well. I have the same indignation.

I have gay friends who may not need my support but they appreciate knowing the straight community can accept them. I am repulsed by the idea of same-sex copulation for myself, but it does me no harm. I don't feel the gay community should confine themselves to their closets, but I feel straight or gay coitus should be kept to one's bedroom or other suitably private location where it is no one else's business but their own.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I am straight as well. I have the same indignation.

I have gay friends who may not need my support but they appreciate knowing the straight community can accept them. I am repulsed by the idea of same-sex copulation for myself, but it does me no harm. I don't feel the gay community should confine themselves to their closets, but I feel straight or gay coitus should be kept to one's bedroom or other suitably private location where it is no one else's business but their own.

We are used to seeing straight people parading around - - being affectionate in public etc. Although it may make some straights uncomfortable - - they aren't going to be repulsed by it.

Some gays I've know are repulsed by the thought of opposite-sex copulation.

Gays just need to become as much the norm in public as straights.

edit on 25-12-2010 by Annee because: edit quotes

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I should add that besides confining their activities to their own bedrooms, etc., there are semi-public venues for this sort of activity among the consenting where another person may choose, or not, to enter by their own discretion.

I would not wish to deprive anyone of those liberties either.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I should add that besides confining their activities to their own bedrooms, etc., there are semi-public venues for this sort of activity among the consenting where another person may choose, or not, to enter by their own discretion.

I would not wish to deprive anyone of those liberties either.

I was just pointing out that "Norm becomes Norm".

After a decade or so of Gays being fully accepted into society - - it just won't be that noticeable.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Here in Mexico it is quite common to see two women, more often two girls, walking along holding hands. It means nothing, nothing unusual. I go to a peluquería (hair salon) where the operators are openly gay men. They have a better sense of style and what looks good on me. I prefer their shop.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Here in Mexico it is quite common to see two women, more often two girls, walking along holding hands. It means nothing, nothing unusual. I go to a peluquería (hair salon) where the operators are openly gay men. They have a better sense of style and what looks good on me. I prefer their shop.

I grew up in Los Angeles. I am now in a SW town in Arizona.

Big difference in acceptability.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
My society here is much more open and accepting than the one I left. "Pues, así es" is the general attitude for most things.

There are still some unwritten standards for public decorum that most people follow.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil

Originally posted by Xavialune
Being gay isn't a choice.

Being gay isn't a choice...

by the way, did I mention being gay isn't a choice?

Being Gay IS a choice, Reason I know this is because you have the "CHOICE" not to be!!
Just like being hedro is a choice...However, When it comes to "LOVE" you have no choice

edit on 24-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

I have no remorse or apologetic feelings in saying that your opinion is quite completely and utterly wrong. you do not 'choose' sexual orientation. you can 'choose' to experiment, but we are talking about actual sexual orientation here, not the experiments we do with our girlfriends in the closet during sleepovers...Believing that you can choose sexual orientation not only makes you look like an uneducated bigot, stating so, due to the ferocious debates that go on concerning gays vs straights, automatically insinuates that you hold gays in a negative light, at least a little bit.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Hey fellas...im a heterosexual male....and i LOVE lesbians!

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

You honestly spent all that time, writing ALLLLL THAT, just to say that being born gay is a flaw and that a good friend will point out to another friend how they were BORN FLAWED and expect them to work on how they were born and become less flawed for you????

Really?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gseven

I love everyone - but I don't love what everyone chooses to do with their lives. I simply have a view that is based on things gays don't agree with. Ex-gays agree with them, current gays do not.

There is no such thing as an Ex-gay.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PJAmerica
I didn't say that I was. However, I can understand both sides of it and not agree either. The key is to try and understand even if we don't understand or agree. The problem is that so many people are dismissive of what they do not understand and because for some reason they may disagree they forbid to be civilized and respectful towards others. I think perhaps you took what I said out of context by accident which could be my fault (I am sometimes not very good with my wording) though because I am a bit lost in the conversation now.

Ok, perhaps I missunderstood you but again, I have to ask, help me understand. You say you do not feel this way but you see how people can feel this way. I guess I just want one person to explain to me how you feel good about telling someone they were BORN the wrong way and need to fix it. I just have an even harder time figuring out how that person can call themself a friend. Can you help me understand?

I do not agree with a lot of my friends about a lot of things. Most of the people I have been close to my whole life have all been kind of different from the kind of person I am. One of the things that keeps us friends though is that the stuff we do not agree about has never been the way any of us was born. The moment one of my friends offers to help "correct" my being blonde, white, or straight, chances are we are not going to stay friends long after that.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Annee

Choice is not always visible as available. Somebody who steps on the cracks of a side walk because of ADD always has a choice not to and avoid that pattern. Yet they think they were born with the need to, so they do not try to change it.

My views on gays comes from being friends with one for 4 years, and being in an all boys school for some time with a number of outies and closets.

Nothing you write makes any sense after you actually give it 2 seconds of thought. Being gay is not about who you have sex with it is about who you WANT to have sex with. You can keep that kid off the sidewalk all day long but he is still going to be autistic whether he gets to step on those cracks or not.

Basically you are saying that if you are raped by a man, you are then gay. You are also trying to say that you can sit around wanting to have sex with men all day long, but if you make yourself have sex with a woman, you are not gay.

From knowing a few closetted and married gay men who were in denial, I think I totally understand why you feel that way. Many of them think they can pretend getting aroused by Brad Pitt does not make you gay if you go home and spend 3 minutes attempting to pleasure your wife.

Thin about what you are writing for a moment next time before you write it down. It could only help.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Agree with your post, also agree with the poster that said to add blacks, muslims, etc to the list. I'm black, and I've heard the "I have black friends" line more times than I care to remember, and it's always followed by some racist statement from the person who said it, so I feel ya on this one. I have no issues with someone being gay; However, I DO have issues with gay guys in the closet. just yesterday, I was at a bar here in L.A, having lunch and beer solo. I see a guy that I'd met there before, a financial planner or something. he comes over(he was drunk), starts telling me about his wife and kids, but, at the same time, he keeps trying to touch me as he speaks, much the way a woman touches a man's shoulder, laughs at his jokes, etc, when she's attracted to him. then he referred to me as a "pretty black man". then he goes to the other end of the bar, to sit with other men who were openly gay.. I wonder what his wife would think
as a straight man, I have a problem with that. he's clearly a "downlow brutha" and was hoping I was too. all I ask is that, if you're gay, be honest about it. don't try to play the role.
edit on 26-12-2010 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonseeker

The reason you hear phrases like "I have a X friend but..." is because the only form of openly acceptable racism and discrimination in the West is that against adult White Males. People don't feel the need to say "I have white friends...but white people are born with white privilege and are trying to exploit and control the whole planet!." One can simply make these kinds of statements without fear of ridicule or being labelled a racist. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing anybody having to say "white people have done this, but..." when referring to the multiple injustices they allege white people have taken part in.
edit on 26/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join