It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking input on Social Media and Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I humbly expose my ignorance with these queries:

Although, I have a Facebook page I have yet to understand the appeal. Mostly people from college I wasn't close to then and could care even less about now posting pictures of their boring babies, weddings, travels etc. It seems like the vanity plate of the net.

Well someone told me I had to check out Tumblr, so I did. Yawn. Short, lame quips. ( I get that even less and don't tweet either. I much prefer the interaction and long form dialogue here on ATS) So my question is, I see how FB monetized their site but Tumblr has no adds, How do they make money? ( I read the High School dropout who started it is a Millionaire.)

Next question also. How does Skype make money? ( I didn't see any ads there but I never joined) How can they offer Free Voice and Video chat?

I appreciate any input. I seem to feel all this peer pressure get hip to social media but fail to recognize it's appeal. Seems like a huge waste of time compared to the rich learning experience here.

Thanks kids.

edit on 23-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: typos

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It's rather simple; just think back when YouTube and MySpace were just beginning on the "scene."

Soon, millions of users flocked to the sites like due to their overwhelming popularity and "branding," which elevates the value of any marketable asset. When a site like Facebook, YouTube, and other innovative "Web 2.0" start-ups attract millions of users, offers get placed on the table from "giant media outlets" to leverage and group together to serve a "larger brand."

The reason why Twitter is going to keep-on being popular is simple. When technologies "converge," as in cellular, broadband internet, and or satellite, one "brand" can serve as much content as they can "push" which generates millions of revenue by ads and sales. If an "Ad" placed around a holiday for a very popular piece of technology is "pushed," demand increases and large corporations make tons of money selling items and increasing their "branding." Even if they sell-out, they usually have a "second-run" and it starts all over again.

Amazing to see how popular sites can get pushed into the "mainstream" and result in millions of dollars of profit for somebody. Ads will get worse, and stay highly-visible and animated in our peripheral vision on the internet. We are "wired" by instinct to notice that one red-colored advert sitting in a corner of a website's pages then a static text which does nothing. They'll get more obtrusive as unscrupulous gold-digger data-mining companies try to make more and more money. This will decrease network security and open-up major new ways to compromise computer systems. But the nature of the internet was designed for this very thing; social-engineered attacks to steal bank account information or private details make a gravy train for the taking.

The "Mal-Ware" pop-up window which notifies you of being infected with numerous trojan or viruses on your computer is one of the best socially-engineered attacks around; only if people knew how to easily stop-it, DEAD in its tracks, we would all breathe easer and spend alot less in computer repairs.

If you get a pop-up saying your computer is infected with a virus or trojan, just follow the next steps and you can save alot of time and money buying new hardware.

1. Pop-up appears, which looks like an actual window in Windows, but it's not. If you click "Scan" or "X" to close it, you are falling for the trap and delivering a payload to your computer; the "X" is what triggers the download.

2. STOP! Do not press or click any "Scan" or "X" icons anywhere on that pop-up.

3. Immediately press "CTRL," "ALT," and "DELETE" to bring-up the "Task Manager."

4. When "Task Manager" is open, look-under the "Applications" or "Processes" tab and find your browser. In this example, I will use Internet Explorer to illustrate. "Right-Click" the application "Windows Internet Explorer" and select "End Task" on the menu. If there are two or more, end those, as well. Make sure all instances of your browser are ended and no tasks are running.

5. If you performed this correctly, clear your internet temporary files or cache and you'll be fine, assuming there are no other infections on your system, but if you "Clicked" on the pop-up or messed-up ending a task, get ready to reformat, replace, or be annoyed trying to find the culprit. Some of those trojans are smart and stealth-enabled. A very hard problem to get rid of. I hope this helps.

Safe Surfing.
Be Aware, Be Vigilant, and Be Intelligent.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I have a Facebook page I have yet to understand the appeal

Communication and Networking.

How does Skype make money?

It is just a few lines of code. Internet does the rest.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev

How does Skype make money?

It is just a few lines of code. Internet does the rest.

OK but they have a flashy website and I assume proprietary software, that isn't free.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

Obviously more than a phenomenon. Especially if profits are to be made. I totally get the "push" aspect in the manner you described it.

Wow thanks. That is helping me to grasp a lot.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

On skypes faq they address this very issue, link

Theres also an article here
It seems that they make money from their "premium services" I'm not sure I believe it though, I wonder if (like a lot of dot com companies) they aren't actually making much profit and are surviving on hype and misdirection while desperately trying to find a business model that actually works on the net and being subsidised by ebay
edit on 24-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join