It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crusading in the name of Darwin

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

MOD NOTE: ATTENTION!!!

Please discuss the topic and not other members.

That means no belittling, off topic posts, casting aspersions on another's character, talking down to other members, harassing or ridiculing others.

Further such remarks can and will result in warnings and/or post removals.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Courtesy Is Mandatory

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Posting Jokes, Ridiculing, Making Fun of Others in Threads...

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Much as I hate to admit it, I see your point. I've seen more than one person who clings to science in the same way the fundamentalist Christians cling to the Bible. It's really not that much better; science is a never-ending process and changes from day to day. To mock people for being stupid while clinging to scientific concepts as absolute truths is absurd.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
Much as I hate to admit it, I see your point. I've seen more than one person who clings to science in the same way the fundamentalist Christians cling to the Bible.

Evidence, please? I mean, I don't actually see a single way that could be possible by anyone who actually understands the scientific method, which is based upon the concept that all scientific assertions are possibly falsifiable. Religion relies on infallibility, science relies on the state of the evidence.

It's really not that much better; science is a never-ending process and changes from day to day.

Well, it changes, but many concepts will go unchanged. We may modify our conceptions of evolution and how the genetic variations work in detail, but the concept of allele frequency changing over successive generations will never change.

The core of the established theories rarely changed, mainly because they're established for a reason.

To mock people for being stupid while clinging to scientific concepts as absolute truths is absurd.

Nobody clings to scientific concepts as absolute truths except for those with an ignorance of science.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Hitler actually was a Christian and he hated Darwin. Even if he was an atheist that still doesn't mean that a lack of religion caused him to start a world war. Both of them has moustaches, that doesn't mean all people with moustaches will become dictators. If you look back through history you will see that a lot of wars/conflicts are caused or exacerbated by religion:
-World War II
-The situation in Northern Ireland
-Israel/Palestine
-The Crusades
-Spanish Inquisition

There are more if you look properly

"I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator; by defending myself against the Jews, I am fighting for the Lord

I would like to thank Providence and the Almighty for choosing me above all people."

Said by Hitler himself. How about this one?

In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in his might and seized the scourge to drive out of the temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight for the world against the Jewish poison."

One of the main things that these theories and science in general has over religion and that is truth. They are backed up by cold, hard evidence. Whereas religion is backed in most cases up by books that were written by a bunch of desert dwellers who had very little scientific knowledge and believed in the supernatural

Inb4 the whole 'it's just a theory' farce
edit on 28/12/2010 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/12/2010 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/12/2010 by Griffo because: Found the quote I was looking for

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

The difference is that those who accept the theory of evolution have EVIDENCE and FACTS to back up their claims. Religious people don't have any evidence or facts, they require BLIND BELIEF.

Given a choice, I'd rather follow the logical/rational way of science because facts and evidence matter to me

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
Are those who wish to use Darwins Theory of Evolution any different than those of ancient history who have used Religion in general to crusade in the name of their God ?

yes it really bites because the main question was never addressed but instead glossed over in 7 pages...

nice balanced and serious discussion, I wanted this esoteric question addressed only

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

It has been addressed. The simple fact is that no one has ever used the theory of evolution as an excuse to commit crimes...yet thousands have done so in the name of religion.
edit on 13-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

thanks but this was not quite what I was looking for...

I guess when others can not understand your question they perceive it as a threat or something to be defended against ?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
Much as I hate to admit it, I see your point. I've seen more than one person who clings to science in the same way the fundamentalist Christians cling to the Bible. It's really not that much better; science is a never-ending process and changes from day to day. To mock people for being stupid while clinging to scientific concepts as absolute truths is absurd.

agreed and a quite reasonable response addressing the actual topic...

thank you for your input

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

The difference is that those who accept the theory of evolution have EVIDENCE and FACTS to back up their claims. Religious people don't have any evidence or facts, they require BLIND BELIEF.

Given a choice, I'd rather follow the logical/rational way of science because facts and evidence matter to me

I think you completely missed the point my man

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I think you completely missed the point my man

So enlighten us, what is your point? Because you just claimed there's people who use the theory of evolution as an excuse to hurt others...which obviously isn't true. Just thought I'd mention that fact

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Because you just claimed

pardon me sir ? I believe I "asked" a question.

this just may be where the lack of perception lay...

one of the very few to actually address the actual question without accusation was on this very page, the posters name is gnosticquasar.

scroll up a bit

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Because you just claimed

pardon me sir ? I believe I "asked" a question.

this just may be where the lack of perception lay...

one of the very few to actually address the actual question without accusation was on this very page, the posters name is gnosticquasar.

scroll up a bit

Well, in that case, to answer your question....no, it's not the same for very obvious reasons

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Evidence, please? I mean, I don't actually see a single way that could be possible by anyone who actually understands the scientific method, which is based upon the concept that all scientific assertions are possibly falsifiable. Religion relies on infallibility, science relies on the state of the evidence.

sorry MIMS, I am actually going to address this to enlighten another poster...

the professed atheists who stalk Christians "only" in order to do harm with words is evidence enough, it is overwhelming (and a bit sickening). If there were no law established by our God that atheists must live under, and a gun were placed in one of these professed atheists hands... I bet we all would know the outcome

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

So now you're claiming atheists would kill religious believers if they could?? ARE YOU MAD???

Seriously, you started an entire thread called "crusading in the name of Darwin" and so far you didn't even bother to present any evidence that anyone used Darwin as an excuse to commit crimes...I really hope you see how ridiculous this is.

PS: I'm not stalking you, you just keep on posting complete hogwash in forums I frequent

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

no

wow XYZ, you know as I have stated many times never really mind a one-liner answer, even if followed with a brief resolution of the stated answer...

I must say

btw: are your a drinker or a illegal drug user ?

do not take that wrong I am just curious because I never got your age in any of the topics we been in and the info is not posted in your profile yet.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

no

wow XYZ, you know as I have stated many times never really mind a one-liner answer, even if followed with a brief resolution of the stated answer...

I must say

btw: are your a drinker or a illegal drug user ?

do not take that wrong I am just curious because I never got your age in any of the topics we been in and the info is not posted in your profile yet.

First of all, I didn't give a 1-liner answer, you just quoted one word

Next, as much as your ad hominem attacks make me chuckle because they show that you don't really have an argument....how about start posting at least a bit of evidence supporting your argument, after all, we're on page 7 and so far all you've presented are totally random OPINIONS (not backed up by evidence) or ad hominem attacks against anyone who doesn't share your irrational beliefs.

Kinda sad to start a thread that's void of any evidence or facts

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

So now you're claiming

no I was "betting" there is a difference btw...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

least a bit of evidence supporting your argument

here again lay the misconception...

this was not an argument, but on the other hand it was an esoteric question posed which required only the posters own self-evidence.

where is an argument in a question ? please do let others know...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

least a bit of evidence supporting your argument

here again lay the misconception...

this was not an argument, but on the other hand it was an esoteric question posed which required only the posters own self-evidence.

where is an argument in a question ? please do let others know...

Then tell us, how do you answer the question...and what's your evidence in support of your answer?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join