It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With spending bill's passage, Obama's plan to close Gitmo dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

With spending bill's passage, Obama's plan to close Gitmo dies

www.rawstory.com

US lawmakers have effectively blocked President Barack Obama's efforts to close the controversial terror prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, by approving a Pentagon budge that forbids spending money on the move.

After months of wrangling, both the House and Senate Wednesday approved a $725.9 billion defense spending plan for the fiscal year that began October 1, 2010.

Included in the bill is language that makes it virtually impossible to close the prison by building a substitute prison
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.eurasiareview.com

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
From the day Gitmo prison opened it has been under controversy. For those of you who are following Gitmo this is just another piece of news to follow. I think it makes more sense to have the prison there then some where on the U.S. main land. I am sure just about every one hear will have an idea where the prison should be, so by all means go ahead and post them.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Amerika has to have someplace to put all those pesky terrorists.. Cant have people running around free in the world...
Out of politeness cant say where they can put their prison
edit on 23-12-2010 by Expat888 because: Gremlins...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

And I bet Obama is really p'd that another one of his promises will go down the tube..

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Backinblack
I tend to take the cynical view. I rather doubt Obama had much intention at all of keeping any of his campaign promises.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Back in the '90s there were a lot of base closures and consolidations to save money. Now they tell us that it costs more money to close a base than to keep it open.
Just think how much money we could have saved if we kept all of those bases open back then.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Obama SAID he had a plan to close gitmo .

I know alot of idiots who believed him when he said that.

Yet again, another lie Obama has pushed.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Amerika has to have someplace to put all those pesky terrorists.. Cant have people running around free in the world...

Nah,that's what the FEMA camps are for. Soon,the Goon Squads will complete their strangle-hold on the American public and there won't be any need to hide what they're doing. After that, they can 'localize' their operations.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
reply to post by backinblack

Backinblack
I tend to take the cynical view. I rather doubt Obama had much intention at all of keeping any of his campaign promises.

My post was sarcasm, I agree with you..

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
Back in the '90s there were a lot of base closures and consolidations to save money. Now they tell us that it costs more money to close a base than to keep it open.
Just think how much money we could have saved if we kept all of those bases open back then.

Although it seems they spend money on anything, you have it wrong..

They would have to build a substitute prison somewhere..
That's where the money would be needed..

And as we know, nothing is cheap when the Government is involved..

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon

Originally posted by Expat888

Nah,that's what the FEMA camps are for. Soon,the Goon Squads will complete their strangle-hold on the American public and there won't be any need to hide what they're doing. After that, they can 'localize' their operations.

Ahh.. Theyre ending outsourcing .. Jobs for all then

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

No they will be insourcing those jobs to foreign soldiers more than likely. And the rest will go to mercenaries :p

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Did anybody think that Obama would close gitmo.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The truth is these prisoners are being held in an illegal state of definite detention that has yet the recognized as legal by any international body.

In fact because they are being held outside the guidelines of the Geneva Conventions many have successfully sued their home countries upon release from Guantanamo for their home nation’s failure to secure or at the very least strenuously object to their illegal detention in Guantanamo Bay.

The ‘Enemy Combatant’ distinction is a fiction coined by Bush and Company that will not stand up in a Court of Law anywhere in the World including the United States which is why these men are held offshore.

While we legally hold a lease to the Guantanamo Bay portion of Cuba that makes up the sprawling U.S. Military facility it of course predates Castro’s tenure has the nation’s leader, and out military presence in Cuba is tantamount to a de facto state of war.

It is only by holding these ‘detainees’ in a place ‘off shore’ where a de facto state of war exists that we can ‘skirt’ the violations of the Geneva convention that is incarcerating these men with neither due legal process of any country or the laws of war which would confer on them prisoner of war status.

If moved to the U.S. they would have to be arraigned within 72 hours and given a speedy trial with right to counsel, since the ‘Enemy Combatant’ distinction is not legally accepted anywhere including here.

Shipped to other countries likewise ‘real’ charges and ‘real’ trials have to occur.

Held in Afghanistan or Iraq they must be given “Prisoner of War” status per the Geneva Convention.

As long as the U.S. wants to try to evade War Crimes charges they have no choice but to hold these men in a place where a de facto state of war exists with another nation within that nation, and that be Cuba.

Obama like a lot of Americans actually probably thought these men were guilty of specific crimes and could be tried for them, the fact of the matter is they are not, and bring them into the U.S. would mean legally having to release most of them and paying heft settlements for violations of their human rights.

Hopefully your fellow Americans will not assume you are guilty if the CIA rounds you up one day and puts you into a detention camp, though if I were you I wouldn't hold out much hope that they won't assume you are guility.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom

Although it seems they spend money on anything, you have it wrong..

They would have to build a substitute prison somewhere..
That's where the money would be needed..

And as we know, nothing is cheap when the Government is involved..

Why build another? Plenty of prison space here in America. I know that the Government isn't too keen on the legal aspects of torturing people on American soil, but it's not like the Government really cares about following the law anyway.

top topics

join