It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks: Hike Food Prices, Force Europeans to Accept GM Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

WikiLeaks: Hike Food Prices, Force Europeans to Accept GM Food

macedoniaonline.eu

In a January 2008 meeting, US and Spain trade officials strategized how to increase acceptance of genetically modified foods in Europe, including inflating food prices on the commodities market, according to a leaked US diplomatic cable released by WikiLeaks.

During the meeting, Secretary of State for International Trade, Pedro Mejia, and Secretary General, Alfredo Bonet “noted that commodity price hikes might spur greater liberalization on biotech imports.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

* One leaked cable confirms US concern with promoting GM foods in Africa, which Richard Brenneman described as “a significant item on the State Department’s agenda.”

* In another leaked cable describing the potential to expand US interests in “isolationist” Austria, that nation’s ban on GM foods is highlighted.

* According to a leaked cable from 2007, of concern was French President Sarkozy’s desire to implement a ban on GM foods in line with populist sentiment. According to GM Free Regions, France maintains its opposition to GM foods today.

What is up with the United States and forcing Europe and the rest of the world into accepting GM foods? I mean just earlier this week I posted a thread where the US was planning to sabotage French crop growing locations to force the nation into accepting GM foods.

It appears that Austria and France are staunchly opposed to any idea of GM foods being forced upon their nation's. What really makes me mad however is that it is basically just that USA and Spain forcing this issue upon the rest of the world.

The really sad part of this story is that 1 billion people were forced to starve so they could slip in GM foods as an alternative and as the way to lower food prices and calm down the public which were sent into food rioting across several nations.

US threatened 'retaliation' into accepting biotech crops, cable shows

macedoniaonline.eu
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/23/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Whoa! Excellent find! ...Kudos to Wikileaks for publishing the truth.

Nifty strategy, isn't it?

"...commodity price hikes might spur greater liberalization on biotech imports.”

That would be price fixing, right? Not just market manipulation?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
How terrible. I bet these same people by organic food for their families? I mean you would if you knew the number of times so called safe GM has turned out to be dangerous.

Speculation on commodities does almost nothing to increase food supply. What is being sold is “tomorrow’s crop” delivery and because its tomorrow’s chances are it would be profitable enough to produce without speculators causing wild price increases.
The situation is even worse for oil. There is no building-tank somewhere where real oil is actually supplied to the economy when the price goes up (the building would have maintenance costs, and selling something yet to leave the pump doesn’t.

In both cases the only thing that happens is a little more of natures resources is consumed, but it is tiny compared with the harm caused by 3rd world people going into sudden poverty, or our own growth being effected by having much less to spend on the family.

Commodity Trading on food-oil Needs to be Banned. The trading rooms burned, and traders made to feel guilty (it’s far less harmful, and actually useful, if they e.g. give investment in struggling real company-business instead).
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have enough of those GM Foods.
Since i know i check everything i buy.
Never seeing Mc thanks to this.
I have enough of this Nazi food / Organic is the trend for 2011

Recently there's no toothpaste any more without fluoride in the supermarkets.
It makes me angry, if this is my future and the future of the ones i love

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Just giving this thread a bump because I believe this information is important, especially to the people living in Europe.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Just giving this thread a bump because I believe this information is important, especially to the people living in Europe.

Indeed, i do the same!

This needs to be looked into.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I understand now that's why Obama said recently France is US's best buddy. He want Monsanto to sell us junk, poison us slowly and pay a high price for that. When will you learn...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
And to top it all off, we are having massive food price hikes here in the UK and I've seen a left-wing (bleeding heart liberal to Americans) newspaper say that perhaps GM crops need to be considered as an alternative.

Just want to clarify that this is a newspaper which ideologically would not be ok with GM foods.
edit on 27-1-2011 by monkey_descendant because: (no reason given)

top topics

join