It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army: Atheists Unfit To Serve

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

A soldier isn't a programmed tool? Hmmm, I didn't know that. What are all those drills for? They aren't supposed to have thoughts of their own. They are there to take orders and obey...for the most part.

If that is the case, it would appear you'd be a major success in the military...

Here you go High-Speed:
www.wv.ngb.army.mil...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Many military bases have rules put on the troops by high ranking military officers wives.
After i got out on the navy I worked as a security officer on a navy research base.

On most bases high ranking officers wives could control the hours of the base clubs and what was sold at the base PX/exchange.

If they did not want Playboy or Penthouse sold that is what happened.
Is they did not want the base clubs open on Sunday that is what happened.
If your unit only had free time on Sundays and you wanted a few beers tough luck you had to go off base.
The navy base i was a security officer at was a research base and it was a split command
You had a military commander and a civilian research director. with equal control over the base

The officers wives found out they did not have the say that they had at other bases and never like this.

If i was a Atheists I would not list NONE on my records but would put that i was a Deist.
Deism covers such a wide range of beliefs that if you did not pin down your beliefs no one else could claim that they could.
nor could they claim to know your beliefs were.

The only thing a Deist can be pinned down on is that they do not believe in organised religion.
And Atheists do not believe in organised religion.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

exactly....better know your mission statement and general orders and never question them. Keep your head on striat.
Now to the point. A soldier doesnt serve for the money, not in a time of war. So its for God and Country right. Well not in his case. Which goes back to your point of what is his understanding of the mission statement and general orders break down. ie ,his country.....there is no God part to fall back on,is there. The guilt felt that keeps most people from commiting atrocities. yeah I think you nailed it

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

A true Athiest wouldnt do that...to much pride...they think themselves better, all the way back to the gods of Sumer which predate the gods of Greece. They rather think of themselves as highest of intelect. Narcissistic if you will

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Good now every service person who has woken up to the fact they have been duped and are not fighting for freedom can claim they are atheists and come home.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Does it say anywhere that an atheist gets kicked out of he scores in the "red bar"? No, it doesn't. Do you think maybe there's more to it than just being an atheist?

Oh - I think Atheists are kind of like gays in the military.

Its probably not something a soldier broadcasts. Even if you are proud to be Atheist - - you KNOW the military and our government don't condone it.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike184ever
reply to post by ANNED

A true Athiest wouldnt do that...to much pride...they think themselves better, all the way back to the gods of Sumer which predate the gods of Greece. They rather think of themselves as highest of intelect. Narcissistic if you will

Lame.

The mentality you put forth - - only reflects back on you.

However - intellect not clouded by "fantasy" - - is preferable to me.
edit on 24-12-2010 by Annee because: spelling

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

The only thing a Deist can be pinned down on is that they do not believe in organised religion.
And Atheists do not believe in organised religion.

Atheists do not believe in a deity.

They are not Deists. It has nothing to do with organized religion.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Atheists are fit to serve in the military.
In the military you take an oath of service to your country not to God.
The only reason it's a problem nowadays is because of the pseudo religious wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
You do not want an athiest questioning the reasons for war, which they are more likely to do, than somebody who is religious.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
you can not as there is not set definition of a deist deity.

A deity is a recognised preternatural or supernatural immortal being, who may be thought of as holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, and respected by believers, often religiously referred to as a god.

Deism in the philosophy of religion is the standpoint that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that a supreme being created the universe. Further the term often implies that this supreme being does not intervene in human affairs or suspend the natural laws of the universe. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending to assert that God (or "The Supreme Architect") has a plan for the universe that is not to be altered by intervention in the affairs of human life. Deists believe in the existence of God, in a secular sense, without any reliance on revealed religion, religious authority or holy books.

Deism can be a belief in a deity absent of any doctrinal governance or precise definition of the nature of such a deity.

In other words God could be the Flying Spaghetti Monster if you like.(Pastafarianism) a number of atheist seam to believe.
www.venganza.org...
www.nowpublic.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
What I find ridiculous is that people think being an atheist automatically makes someone not have "spiritual" values. What is morality but spiritual values? The majority of atheists I've encountered are much higher in moral fiber than theists.

If you believe in 'spiritual values', then you believe in a 'spirit realm'. And if you believe in a 'spiritual realm' than you believe in 'spirits'. And if you believe in 'spirits' then you believe in a creator of spirits because there is no logical or scientific data to back claim up other than faith. And then I would say welcome to Christianity, Jesus is our savior.

In my experience......most of the atheists I've encountered are extremely arrogant and facetious, and prideful. I hate to generalize a whole group of people but this is something I've observed over the years... and I know not believing in God has nothing to do with ones willingness to die for one's country, but sure I would NOT want one serving in my platoon. Sorry.
edit on 24-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
In 1600 in the English Language the word meaning the holy man was either "EL" or "Ga".

There was no word "G-o-d" in the English language in 1600. It wasn't until 1610 the new English Word was made, it wasn't based upon scrolls, ancient texts, nothing. It was a completely new word just made up.

The problem is that in the 1500's when last names started getting used...in Poland and Germany there were many families using the letters "G-o-d" as their last name. Long before those letters meant ANYTHING in the English language.

Now imagine trying to serve in our military with that last name? You can go to Ancestry.com and see how many thousands of people from Germany/Poland immigrated to America with that last name.

How have they been treated in our military since their last name now means something else in English??

Dan Brown could write a book on it that would rock the world......Military Chaplains telling those Americans "you don't belong in MY military"....just because of their last name...Getting discriminated against just because of their last name....

There's a story to be told Americans would be shocked to find out about. Our military IS discriminating using religion. The story will come out in a foreign country because in THIS country...the Pentagon would NEVER allow such a book to come out.
edit on 24-12-2010 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Go Annee Go!!! isnt freedom wonderful...and with all of your intellect , which post did you walk flank to flank. Besides poke fun at people for a belief,all the while having your conversations of secret science.Lets just through up unprinted news and one time it will fall down Readers Digest. Science Today. New Your Times ? Tell me something, have you with your own very eyes,have you actually seen an Amoeba crawl out of a moat as anything other than an Amoeba. Man walking upright is a miracle of physics all of its own. There is the warm blooded vs. cold. The wonder of the mammal.Why is it that mankind is the only intellogent creature walking about the blue marble.
I am 49yrs old. with the exception of physics and modern medicine science really is a bunch of bunk that gets made up as we go. Yeah I will stick with my 50,000 year old religion,thank you.
Take your beef with me and the United States Military to Congress,and please dont bleed out all over these blogs

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

you have your history all screwed up...but its ok, nobody can tell you how to think. There are a few things that will get your ass ran out of the Army. I guess we are talking about one

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mike184ever

And here's the most common and easily defeated arguments presented in favor of religion. You should probably study up on the theory of evolution before making comments that display your lack of understanding of it. Also, do you find an irony in proclaiming science to be made-up bunk while typing on a computer? Just saying. If you choose to be an apologist for religion perhaps you should brush up on your skills before appearing such a poor ambassador to your cause.

Merry Xmas

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by HEREFORD 1969

you are wrong about belief in God...........

In the Armed Forces EXCEPT the National Guard (Army or Air)

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

study the theory of .... define theory...like my theory of a deity........much the same,No? No Proof,Yes .....Take your soldier boy's case to congress, where they still pray.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

reply to post by traditionaldrummer

study the theory of .... define theory...like my theory of a deity........much the same,No? No Proof,Yes .....Take your soldier boy's case to congress, where they still pray.

No. A scientific theory is not the same as the layman's idea of a theory being simply an idea or hypothesis. A scientific theory is a fact. It explains certain processes and predicts new discoveries. It is the graduation point of the sciences. Like I said, you probably should brush up a bit on basic scientific knowledge.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Go Annee Go!!! isnt freedom wonderful...and with all of your intellect , which post did you walk flank to flank. Besides poke fun at people for a belief,all the while having your conversations of secret science.Lets just through up unprinted news and one time it will fall down Readers Digest. Science Today. New Your Times ? Tell me something, have you with your own very eyes,have you actually seen an Amoeba crawl out of a moat as anything other than an Amoeba. Man walking upright is a miracle of physics all of its own. There is the warm blooded vs. cold. The wonder of the mammal.Why is it that mankind is the only intellogent creature walking about the blue marble.
I am 49yrs old. with the exception of physics and modern medicine science really is a bunch of bunk that gets made up as we go. Yeah I will stick with my 50,000 year old religion,thank you.
Take your beef with me and the United States Military to Congress,and please dont bleed out all over these blogs

What the hell are you saying? Could you break down that gibberish?

Poke fun at people for a belief? Where did that come from?

I thought this was about having the right to be Atheist. Didn't know this was another Us vs Them.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

read your own posts...and btw its about a guy in the army

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join