It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British woman faces death penalty in Malaysia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

British woman faces death penalty in Malaysia

www.telegraph.co.uk

A British woman is facing the death penalty in Malaysia after being charged for drug trafficking and possession.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Yeash, Well i suppose she is guilty of drug Trafficking, But a british citizen would never be prepared for this sort of Court ruling, As citizens over here we think were pretty safe from Death Penalties, But this will spark a Conversation anyway hopefully.

Does anybody think we as people have the right to be charged by our own country of Origin?
This lady would be looking at Quite a few years in jail over here with counselling probably, Then again i dont know what sort of Death penalties you still have in America and would sort of crime would Gaurentee such a penalty?

~Ted

www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Yeash, Well i suppose she is guilty of drug Trafficking, But a british citizen would never be prepared for this sort of Court ruling, As citizens over here we think were pretty safe from Death Penalties, But this will spark a Conversation anyway hopefully.

In short, prison time: definitely!
death penalty: no way!

Does anybody think we as people have the right to be charged by our own country of Origin?
This lady would be looking at Quite a few years in jail over here with counselling probably, Then again i dont know what sort of Death penalties you still have in America and would sort of crime would Gaurentee such a penalty?

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the woman and her husband *chose* to live in the country with this type of laws knowingly...so....there are consequences.

In the US, you would not face the death penalty for these types of charges or even conviction.

Quite insane, but I *imagine* that couple were making their fare share on the backs of tourists...plenty of jail time is OK...death penalty is extreme, I say!

edit on 23-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: freaking spelling

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I hate to say it but "when in Rome..."

If you're going to be transporting drugs, you should know the laws of where you're going. There are many pages that state that trafficking of drugs in Malaysia is an automatic death sentence. Even something as simple and harmless as marijuana...and this person had heroin and ecstasy.

Southeast Asia has the toughest laws in the entire world for drug trafficking.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
After reading the article, Malaysian rule seems a bit steep for my liking. I don't think drug trafficking would require death.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Dont get me wrong im all up for the Death Penalty say if somone murderd my familly or somthing along those lines, But drug trafficking? NAH...Supply and demand, If the world wasnt so screwed up people wouldnt want drugs, And the people who would be taking them should know the risks, Its a shame that somone whos just trying to keep up with others demand for the things in a society where its so hard to earn money if you didnt get the right school results should be revcieving a Hanging, But then again as you say she knew the risks

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ugh...I hate idiots like this...I wonder what goes on in their head...Hey! I have an idea! Let's travel around half of the globe to Malaysia and sell drugs!...Won't we get executed if they catch us over there?...*thinking pause* ...Hell yeah!...Let's do it!

Idiots.
edit on 23-12-2010 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

~Ted

www.telegraph.co.uk

I'll start by saying that I am not in favor of capital punishment for any crime...and I don't think this couple should be killed by their country for this crime. HOWEVER...they chose to live in Malaysia, and knowingly participated in activities which are punishable by death there.

If you allow people to be charged according to their country of origin (as opposed to the laws of the country in which the crimes took place) it opens up Pandora's box of problems. Imagine someone living in your neighbourhood who is a citizen of a country where pedophilia is acceptable. Would you accept their argument that it's OK because it's legal back home?

My guess is that, because the stakes were so high, they probably made a fortune from their dealings.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

I'm against capital punishment- but not for the reasons you may think xD To me, it's giving them an easy out- make 'em suffer, imo. It's not like we know they're going straight to hell to have the devil gnaw on their testicles for eternity...do we? >.>

I'm not saying the rules in Malaysia and other countries with similar laws (in regard to drugs/trafficking drugs) are right at all- but they're in place and this couple knew the laws, therefore can not ask for special treatment because they got caught.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
1. When visiting a foriegn country you are subject to that countries laws.
2. Unlike western countries asia does not tolerate drug trafficers / dealers / users. Most asian countries do carry the death penalty for drug trafficers / dealers. Users are sent to prison / rehab.
Funny how westerners always think theyre above the law.. You dont like the laws abroad then stay home.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Wish we could do that here in the US.

Sure solve a lot of problems if we pursued that remedy with enthusiasm.

top topics

join