It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If You're Here Then You Must Be Crazy..."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
"If You're Here There Must Be Something Wrong With You..."

A circular argument if there ever was one. Here's some ammunition for the next time you're labelled as a "crazy conspiracy theorist".
CHEERS!

en.wikipedia.org...

The Rosenhan Experiment

The Rosenhan experiment was a famous experiment into the validity of psychiatric diagnosis conducted by psychologist David Rosenhan in 1973. It was published in the journal Science under the title "On being sane in insane places."[1] The study is considered an important and influential criticism of psychiatric diagnosis.[2]

Rosenhan's study was done in two parts. The first part involved the use of healthy associates or "pseudopatients" who briefly simulated auditory hallucinations in an attempt to gain admission to 12 different psychiatric hospitals in five different states in various locations in the United States. All were admitted and diagnosed with psychiatric disorders. After admission, the pseudopatients acted normally and told staff that they felt fine and had not experienced any more hallucinations. Hospital staff failed to detect a single pseudopatient, and instead believed that all of the pseudopatients exhibited symptoms of ongoing mental illness. Several were confined for months. All were forced to admit to having a mental illness and agree to take antipsychotic drugs as a condition of their release.

The second part involved asking staff at a psychiatric hospital to detect non-existent "fake" patients. The staff falsely identified large numbers of ordinary patients as impostors.

The study concluded, "It is clear that we cannot distinguish the sane from the insane in psychiatric hospitals" and also illustrated the dangers of dehumanization and labeling in psychiatric institutions. It suggested that the use of community mental health facilities which concentrated on specific problems and behaviors rather than psychiatric labels might be a solution and recommended education to make psychiatric workers more aware of the social psychology of their facilities.
en.wikipedia.org...

A little psych 101 goes a long way...
edit on 12/23/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: a long way...

edit on 12/23/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: header

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

On Being Sane In Insane Places

As David Rosenhan himself stated:

"I told friends, I told my family, 'I can get out when I can get out. That's all. I'll be there for a couple of days and I'll get out.' Nobody knew I'd be there for two months … The only way out was to point out that they're [the psychiatrists] correct. They had said I was insane, 'I am insane; but I am getting better.' That was an affirmation of their view of me."

The study concluded that "It is clear that we cannot distinguish the sane from the insane in psychiatric hospitals" and also illustrated the dangers of depersonalization and labeling in psychiatric institutions. It suggested that the use of community mental health facilities which concentrated on specific problems and behaviors rather than psychiatric labels might be a solution and recommended education to make psychiatric workers more aware of the social psychology of their facilities.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I am here because I like real news. Not fake # that you find on CNN.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
yea, My friend Steve who is manic depressive just goes off. To quoteSteve, "I am not sick, I'm just not well." LOL

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

On Being Sane In Insane Places

As David Rosenhan himself stated:

"I told friends, I told my family, 'I can get out when I can get out. That's all. I'll be there for a couple of days and I'll get out.' Nobody knew I'd be there for two months … The only way out was to point out that they're [the psychiatrists] correct. They had said I was insane, 'I am insane; but I am getting better.' That was an affirmation of their view of me."

The study concluded that "It is clear that we cannot distinguish the sane from the insane in psychiatric hospitals" and also illustrated the dangers of depersonalization and labeling in psychiatric institutions. It suggested that the use of community mental health facilities which concentrated on specific problems and behaviors rather than psychiatric labels might be a solution and recommended education to make psychiatric workers more aware of the social psychology of their facilities.

Scary stuff, eh? Reminds me of when the Ghostbusters were locked up. If TSHTF and you're caught in a similar situation, whether at the hands of the NWO military or otherwise, I suggest you do the same as Rosenhan did: Just keep smiling and nodding your head in agreement with the gatekeepers. That's the way to survive to fight another day.

If not you just might wind up like Sam Neill in John Carpenter's "In The Mouth Of Madness":

"I'm Not Insane!!!!"
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f2f9322a6c23.jpg[/atsimg]

Or Winston Smith in 1984:

Winston: "Look what you've reduced me to."
Inner Party Member: "You did it to yourself, Winston."
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49e0ad7e8760.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 12/23/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think we're all insane pretending to be sane. I mean c'mon, seriously, look at the state of affairs the world is currently in. People wonder about me, I wonder about them. Denial and self imposed blindness to an otherwise crazy world qualifies as insanity. Good post, man.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
There is little doubt that the entire movement we call Psychiatry has been suffering from its own delusions and hubris, and sadly, most of the 'experts' will never agree....

But then I am always reminded that it is no measure of sanity to be 'well-adjusted' in an insane world.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
To me it seems too culturally specific as in the diagnostic procedure currently used. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this in therapy either. What is normal here: USA, would not be normal in another culture, and vise versa. Religious constructs have something to do with this also, a huge percentage of the worlds population does believe in previous lives ~ our culture not so much.
Qi Gong Fever "running fire" is very real to those who believe in and practice Qi Gong, as in if you push too hard and too fast in this dicipline you can get a "little nutty" and it can be treated by "grounding" the Qi - In our culture according to the DSM this falls under "magical or culture bound sydromes". Actually I was quite disappointed to discover this year that the the DSM (which I believe is under revision) is not immune from politics and is greatly influenced by Big Pharma. I have heard from sources - (again heresay) that the DSM does not like to include diagnosis codes for issues that cannot be healed through the use of pharmacuticals. Complex PTSD for example, a lot of contention as to if they would give this its own diagnostic code. It boils down to not wanting codes that could elude quick fix theraputic methods and medicinal helps.

edit on 23-12-2010 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I would first say define insane?
The people with the pills would tell you you are insane because it is the easy and cheap option for the system, that and a hell of a lot less hassle.
The problem is though i think the entire human race is insane to an extent at some point in our lives.
We will all go through one of these;

Bullying
Fall in love
Bereavement
Relationship breakdown
extreme stress - lost career or house etc

Any of these will affect you in such a way as to cause your judgement & behaviour to become misaligned and subject to scrutiny by doctors etc & they are not even mental illnessess - just short term problems.
Sometimes for good reason a longer care plan is needed but not always. Sometimes there are extenuating circumstance that have had a major impact on the issue & these are hard to treat.

Sometimes the frustration at not being heard & just fobbed of on meds just adds to the issue.

In a "hyperthetical" situation where a person finds themselves becoming a victim of harrasment etc then that causes emotional & mental issues ptsd etc

Of course being here is light relief from the real world which can be difficult at times, and theres always more than enough like minded folks & ideas to escape reality.

Everyone on here has a different story from far and wide, doesent matter if were different as were still here

I like crazy people
...................Good job really

Take care mate & cheers for the distraction

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

That's quite shocking to learn, i have been dignosed with bipolar, they tried to give me lithium and when i asked them to decribe to me how it works, they couldn't!! they can keep it, my problem is that i find the world quite scary and even sick, i don't have bipolar, i'm just human.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Just a friendly reminder that if you're here then you must be crazy. Or so the government would have you believe...
Of course you know I'm being sarcastic. Just because you're here doesn't mean you're crazy at all. That's the whole point of the information I presented in the OP.

Peace

top topics

join