It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merry CHRIST-mas!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Merry CHRIST-mas to everyone here!

Yes. I know a lot of you here believe that CHRIST was not even born on this day.

Although since none of us were there, who really knows.

Yes. I know CHRIST-mas is not even a CHRISTIAN holiday - supposedly.

But if 2.1 billion people world wide say it is - then I guess it is.

Yes. I know a ton of you don't even believe JESUS CHRIST was even real.

But I do.

And evidently about 1 in 3 people world wide celebrate CHRIST-mas so I guess I'm not alone.

So, please, either try to prove 2.1 billion people wrong or admit we're right and celebrate God's Son's birthday!

GOD created His Son and 2.1 billion people believe in His Creation. And if you add in the 88% of all people world wide who believe in a God - I do believe that's a tad more than the number of atheists who don't believe in a God.

hmmmm......makes you wonder who is right and who is wrong.

If 9 out of 10 people strongly believe something to be true and it can not be proven untrue - does it make it true?

Or look at it this way, if 1 out of 10 people believe something is untrue but can't prove it, why should anyone believe them?

Just asking.

In the mean time, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Very well put.
Merry Christmas to you,
and a Happy New Year.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
2.1 billion people believe it is, therefore it is...because majority rule?

interesting...then by that math, 5 billion people do not...therefore, it isn't

But happy holidays anyhow

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I agree, very well put. You just have to sit back for 1 minute and think, you think all of this just "happened"?? As big as this universe is, and as much stuff out there that is unexplored, that much stuff and there is no God who created everything?? Seems a little impossible to me...But what do I really know, right??

Merry Christ - mas to everyone out there, no happy holidays in my house, only a Merry Christmas!!!
edit on 23-12-2010 by Chrisfishenstein because: Forgot to add Merry Christmas for everyone reading!!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight
GOD created His Son and 2.1 billion people believe in His Creation. And if you add in the 88% of all people world wide who believe in a God - I do believe that's a tad more than the number of atheists who don't believe in a God.

Felt like addressing this also
Back around 1800 in America, most people seen blacks as subhuman and inferior...this was the popular belief
Of course we realize now that just because something is popular belief, doesn't make it "true", or even right...just means people are sheep overall and often history shows its the unpopular opinion that ends up true (such as a round earth verses flat, airplanes can fly, we can travel faster than sound, fly in space, etc)
So..it doesn't make me wonder who is right..it makes me wonder who has the facts.

That argument is far easier to figure out

If 9 out of 10 people strongly believe something to be true and it can not be proven untrue - does it make it true?
No

Or look at it this way, if 1 out of 10 people believe something is untrue but can't prove it, why should anyone believe them?

If the 1 person is not asking for belief in his view, then you don't have to believe..you have to however believe in what the other side is saying

This mindset is what kept people in chains for hundreds of years...it must me eradicated

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Yes. I know a lot of you here believe that CHRIST was not even born on this day.

Probably because he wasn't.

Well supposedly where Jesus was born they were abiding in the field, which I doubt they would do in late December.

christiananswers.net...

Christmas was placed on December 25 so as to make it easier to convert Pagans to Christianity since it would coincide with Yuletide.

If 2.1 billion people told you the sky was brown, would you believe them?

Well technically there is very little, if any, evidence pointing towards the existence of a Jesus Christ.

nobeliefs.com...

But I do.

Try to at least be skeptical in your approach and not believe everything the church tells you. This does not mean you should not believe in Christianity, Jesus, etc... but rather just be skeptical and ask the hard questions.

And evidently about 1 in 3 people world wide celebrate CHRIST-mas so I guess I'm not alone.

Well it is a very popular celebration around the world. Especially since the corporations have dippped their greedy paws into the holidy.

"If you don't spend rediculously for your family, you don't love them" that bs.

So, please, either try to prove 2.1 billion people wrong or admit we're right and celebrate God's Son's birthday!

Christmas was not Jesus Christ's birthday, there is little evidence he even existed, Christmas was established to convert Pagans, and 2.1 billion people can easily be wrong about anything.

Just because you have the numbers on your side does not mean you have the truth as well.

I am neither on the side of Atheists or modern day Monotheists. I remain Agnostic towards the existence of any god but I do strongly believe in a spiritual realm. I believe in a search for god(s) and/or leaving your mind open to the possibility is the healthiest way to go, but believing something simply because it has been dictated to you does not make it right.

Don't get cocky.

Neither side has any substantial evidence to prove or disprove the existence of a god(s). However there is strong evidence that proves everything about Christmas is a lie.

All that means is the possibility should be left open to interpretation based off substantial facts/evidence.

Majority means absolutely nothing to me. Nor does it to anyone who relies on facts and information.

Just asking.

Well... I'm just saying...

Merry Christian stolen Yuletide to you as well.

edit on 12/23/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
but rather just be skeptical and ask the hard questions.

Hey Misoir
What do you call a christian whom asks himself the hard questions of his faith?

An agnostic

zing...meh, not good at joke telling
anyhow. happy festivus

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Merry Christmas to whomever sees it as appropriate.

Happy Yuletide to those who aren't into the Christianity, but enjoy the festivities, holly, mistletoe, eggnog, and decorated trees and whatnot. Chestnuts on an open fire and Santa, and family get-togethers and all.

Season's greetings to the people who aren't covered by any of the foregoing and thusly may otherwise be excluded.

And to everyone else, why did you even click on the damn thread?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

But I do.

Just asking.

First of all, December has many "Holy" days (holidays) for other religions. Not just Christmas. If a Jewish woman is out shopping...why should she be told to enjoy a holiday she doesn't believe in?
"God". Do you realize the God in the Old Testament is the same God that Jews and Muslims worship? Your comment: "God created his son....if you add the 88% of people who believe in a God..." Of those 88%, what percentage are Jews and Muslims? Do you honestly think they believe Jesus is the son of their God?
The arrogance of some Christians claiming to have the market cornered on God for the month of December just makes me speechless.

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 23-12-2010 by Abbby because: hit reply too soon

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Happy Yule. The Christian religion stole the winter solstice festival from pagan peoples and re-branded it. That's history. You could argue with it but you'd be wrong.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
happy christmayulahannikwanzika!!

I can haz multi-culturez?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
You could argue with it but you'd be wrong.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Bushwah. If you steal something, you deprive the owner of its use. Pagans could still use the season for Yule, and many still do. You could argue with it, but you'd be wrong.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mrvdreamknight

I honestly don't know where I stand on the issue of religion, and that is as honest as I can put it. Some days I feel like there simply must be a God, and that he must be good. Other days I feel that if there is a God, then he's nothing short of a mischievous and malicious child - as his "creations" seem to be the antithesis of good.

And some days I can't find it within myself to believe at all in anything that my eyes can't see.

But regarding Christmas... I have never thought of this holiday as a religious event. I wasn't raised to. Christmas wasn't about worship in my parents house. I grew up in what people think of as the horrible, commercialized concepts... Gifts, overeating, pomp, decorations, etc. But there is a huge caveat to this. We were also raised to think of this holiday as being about giving and about selflessness.

Christmas is a time to make a difference in other peoples lives. It's a time to donate money so that the poor might have one really good meal during emotionally difficult times. It's a chance to put a toy or two in a basket, at the store, knowing that it will go to some poor kid who might not get one otherwise. It's a time when everyone can experience what it is to unconditionally love. To give without regard to recompense or return. A season to think of others - even through and with our own selfish desires and hopes.

So, ultimately, whether or not we are religious, wouldn't your Christ be pleased that, at least for a season, most of us live the substance of his lives message whether we believe in his Church or not?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of ATS, regardless of beliefs or dogmas. You people are, to me, family... though some of you remind me of my creepy Uncle Tim.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

So, ultimately, whether or not we are religious, wouldn't your Christ be pleased that, at least for a season, most of us live the substance of his lives message whether we believe in his Church or not?

Very wise words well spoken.

Originally posted by Hefficide

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of ATS, regardless of beliefs or dogmas. You people are, to me, family... though some of you remind me of my creepy Uncle Tim.

~Heff

The feeling is mutual...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Agree 100%. What better way to celebrate and honor the life of Jesus than to practice what he taught. Help the needy. If Jesus was so disgusted by what he saw that he turned over the tables of the money changers at the temple, how do you think he'd feel walking into a mall at christmas- watching shoppers clammer to buy paper and tinsel, all to throw in the dump in a week. I think the sorrow he'd feel that we didn't "get" his message is indescribable.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Um, few days early there.

But anyway, I hope you enjoy your religious festivities. I will enjoy the nonreligious portions of the festivities alongside my religious friends and relatives. Have a lovely Christmas and overall holiday season.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

And here I thought this was just an innocent, non-inflammatory thread. Eh, I'll keep my previous good will post up.

Now to the meat of the issue. The pleasantries out of the way, I have to sink my teeth into the argument...but wait, there isn't one.

This is based entirely upon a logical fallacy, namely the argumentum ad populum aka "I've got more people on my side" argument.

It is fallacious of you to say that just because 2.1 billion people have a belief that they are not entitled to put forth proof while those who don't accept the claim are required to present evidence in refutation of an unsupported claim. You don't have any evidence for your claim, why should I have to refute it?

And what's more, it falls short because....2 in 3 people worldwide don't support you claim. That's twice as many as you're claiming support it. So not only are you using a logical fallacy, you're misusing a logical fallacy.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

mrvdreamknight,

Just want to put forth that it is actually Santa Claus Time. Christ is brought to view and that part is good. Christ's real time without much doubt is on or about the first day of the Feast of Tabernacles. It is simple to see it. When Mary and Joseph came the inns were full and the manger was not. The inns were full because something was going on that loaded the place and the mangers were empty because it was warm enough that the shepherds were still out in the fields with the flocks.

Some have done an extensive research and are sure that day one of the Feast of Tabernacles is the date of His birth. It is very cold December 25 where He was born. But it would still be mild at the time of Feast of Tabernacles.

The solemn thanks for Him and the harvest should be the Feast of Tabernacles. I think He wants it that way and to keep the great merchandising out of the picture.

I would just add, Merry Santa Claus time to all.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
um.....er......I enjoy the time off from work and care very little for the fictional character of Jesus or God.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Great post Misoir...

Happy Yuletide blessings to you !!

and to all!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join