It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Blue Eclipse on MARS: Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Earth isn’t the only planet graced with gorgeous eclipses. On Nov. 9, the Mars rover Opportunity watched the larger of Mars’s two moons, Phobos, slip quietly in front of the sun.

This movie combines 10 individual photos taken every four seconds through special solar filters on the rover’s panoramic cameras. The video was made from images that were calibrated and enhanced, plus extra frames to make the movie run smoothly through the entire 32-second-long eclipse.

Phobos is too small to completely cover the sun, so Martians never get to see total solar eclipses like the one visible from the South Pacific this summer. Instead, astronomers call Phobos’s journeys across the face of the sun transits or partial eclipses. Images of these transits taken many years apart can help scientists track changes in the moons’ orbits, which in turn gives information about Mars’s interior.

Source: www.wired.com...

You'll have to go to the article link to view the video. Just amazing that we can document this/these event(s).

The universe is truly a beautiful place. So much to see.

As I always say, it will be a shame if there are no other intelligent beings out in Space somewhere. A shame that so much beauty and wonderment will be missed if we are the only ones capible of getting into Space.

You know, thing about that statement part: Capible of getting into Space. We take it for granted, we people of today. I wonder what a 100 or more years will do? lol Like we look at the horse and buggy.

edit on 12/23/2010 by anon72 because: added photo

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
How exquisitely beautiful was that?!

Thank you for posting that, because I feel special for having gotten to see it. I know some thousands of people in the world may view that video, but in reality that is just a small number. I feel lucky to have been one.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

That's what kinda sucks about Space Exploration. You can't get the everyday type of person to LOOK UP or wonder what is occurring outside their own personal world. Can't blame them but I think we Don't spend enough time getting people interested.

Not in schools anyway. I would think with all the discoveries made that Space would have jumped to the dam near top.

I glad you liked it. We'll never see it for ourselves but someday, some off spring of yours will be on Mars and viewing that (and other stuff) in person. What a dream.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
MARS get's all the good space scenery!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
wow thats pretty cool!

thank you for sharing the video.

space looks like a very interesting place.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

Glad you liked it.

Yes, Space is indeed an interesting place.

What is your favorite topic-related to space?

new topics

top topics

join