It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian Anomaly - PIA08557

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The picture of Mars you posted was taken from orbit by the Mars Odyssey spacecraft. Therefore the object would be HUGE -- about 50 miles long. That's a big trilobite.

It could easily be sand dunes. Look at these other images of sand dunes that the THEMIS instrument on Mars Odyssey took:
themis.asu.edu...

Take a look at the whole THEMIS/Mars Odyssey website for more"
themis.asu.edu...

edit on 12/23/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Martian wind, combined with low gravity and a super-thin atmosphere, creates the weirdest, WEIRDEST geology I've ever seen...And I've seen some weird stuff up-close on earth..(take those giant basalt "crystals" in great-Britain, You'd swear they're man-made)

I bet geologists cannot wait until the moment is there to actually go to Mars...

Great Photo..great find!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If you rotate the picture 90 degrees it takes on a whole new perspective.. It now looks like buildings on the side of a hill..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e9728b924ba7.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 12/23/2010 by GammaRayBurst because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Looks to me like an object skimmed the surface almost like a snowball bouncing down a snowy hill.

I can see where it just started to kiss the surface, hit harder in the middle then bounced away pushing the ground forward making it chunk up in chunky clumps.
I can also see along the edges there are more small bits of chunks like at the beginning, therefore the object was roundish.

That's my opinion.

edit on 23-12-2010 by Toadmund because: to insert image

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
Umm I don't know but it kind of reminds me of this :

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d70f53cd6f6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dea3c7f2fc0a.jpg[/atsimg]

Hmm weird

Yeah. Weird.

But this is the real Lord of Worms of Mars.

Aproximately 50 meters!
edit on 23-12-2010 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
wow

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
it could be a fake.
if NASA put out a lot of fakes
(and make it look like some one else did it)
when a real picture came out.
ever one would think it is a fake.
the do this with UFOs.
in the end no one will believe any more.
They! win.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
In the end, its still a wonderful find, whatever it turns out to be! If it is or was a lifeform, I am very glad we are so far away.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Wow. Sort of reminds me of one of those giant sand worms on the movies. I wonder if it's one of whatever's at the end of this supposed mars landing video?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

The second picture is two symmetrical to be an asteroid impact.

There has to be another explanation.

Is the picture actually taken from Mars?

I'm not aware of any geological processes, nor impacts which could cause the effect presented in the second picture.

I would like to question the authenticity of the picture.

Can someone help prove it is taken from Mars?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Where is the source for the second pic?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

very reptilian, could very well be an ancient fossil of an extinct martian reptile. If we look at the model of so called "life",Mars may have followed a similar evolutionary pattern as earth and as reptiles were one of the first beings on our planet, it isn't a far cry to say that thats how life evolved elsewhere. very interesting. could you please give a web address as to the source of this image?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wavemaker
Where is the source for the second pic?

As a previous poster stated and to which I agree ... looks too symmetrical to be the product of natural geological forces.

So yes please, can we have the source for the 2nd image ?
edit on 23/12/10 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Looks to me like (aside from fossilized megabeasts) basaltic pillaring. The basalt flows to the surface through a seam, and as it cools it cracks into long vertical pillars with sharp angles. Geologically it is called a dike, a vertical curtain of intrusion into existing rock. The surrounding terrain has eroded down faster than the dike, creating this very unique feature.

Like this:

www.scotland-flavour.co.uk...

and this:

www.scotland-flavour.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Not to speak for the OP, but I believe the intent of the second pic was to provide a "compare and contrast" between the Mars image (pic 1) and a real trilobite fossil (pic 2). A cursory image search didn't turn up that particular one, but there are plenty to choose from. It is symmetrical because is (was) biological.

As much as I'd love to believe this is a 100m worm fossil (does that mean we can harvest Spice?), I like the basalt pillars explanation the best. The source says that this is in the north polar region. Geologically, could it have been some sort of molten uplift from beneath a softer crust, perhaps into a glacier or ice flow? The ice receded and left this soft ridge to be battered by a consistent north wind? A repeating melting/freezing of the ice could also contribute to the fracturing.

Man what I wouldn't give for a good pair of moon boots and a 7 day pack for some Mars hiking to see this stuff in person.
edit on 24-12-2010 by Tripnman because: Content

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

It's a group of dunes, I have seen several like this.

A closer look shows that they are really dunes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/286a134c53bc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d933ca8fd1a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b9c7597c873.jpg[/atsimg]

Source

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Looks like exposed rock formations to me sand blasted... if Nasa is saying tho's are sand dunes then Hmm i have issues, why would sand change colour while forming a dune the anomaly is clearly not the same texture as the surrounding sands that would be used to form them, so yeah i really can't understand how it would change colour or texture by being blow into dunes, sounds like they got spooked by a potential error and covered it with more BS ASAP god i really really hate Nasa bunch of pinocchios

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
looks like a bigger version of the "Bob White Object" emerging from the sand.. check the bob white thing in google images

I think that was an hoax though.. XD

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

If you turn the image on it's side, CCW,
It looks like a water well or indentation.

At the bottom of the object you will see what looks like little houses.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by omnis
looks like a bigger version of the "Bob White Object" emerging from the sand.. check the bob white thing in google images

I think that was an hoax though.. XD

I googled...

I got a bird

oh and

Deffo looks like a photoshop to me

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join