It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENTERTAINMENT: “Star Trek” actor has Alzheimer's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The cast of the science fiction show that so many of us grew up with are getting along in years and are starting to show the effects of age despite their realative immortality in popular culture. The latest adversity is being faced by James Doohan, who played “Montgomery Scott,” better known as “Scotty,” the Chief Engineer on the original starship Enterprise.

eOnline News
The 84-year-old Star Trek veteran, who held together the Enterprise against repeated Klingon attack through his tenure on the original TV series and in several big-screen movies, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, his son, Chris Doohan, confirmed Friday.
"It's really in the early stages at this point," Chris Doohan said. "He's doing fine."
Doohan said his father is relaxing in retirement in Washington state with his wife, Wende, and the daughter he beamed up when he was 80. Chris Doohan said his father, at this time, has been more slowed by Parkinson's disease and diabetes than Alzheimer's, the incurable, progressive neurological disorder that affected Ronald Reagan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In addition to this new condition, Mr. Doohan also suffers from Parkinson's disease and diabetes, but nothing that will keep him from receiving in person a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame later this month.
Best wishes to a true television icon and his family.

Related News Links
San Diego Union-Tribune
The State

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
That's very sad to hear

I had the opportunity to meet him once - he's very loyal to his fans and has a great personality given his fame. I didn't know it until I met him but he's actually not Scottish...lol...hopefully I wasn't the only one fooled

join