It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peanut Butter Cups Of The Gods?: Strange 60ft Circles In Antarctica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The title just about says it all. With all the ice melting down there we're sure to see more unusual items in these and future satellite photos.

Until redaction takes place.

Meanwhile:

Directions to the chocolate factory?
66 33 33.81 S, 92 57 46.16 E

What can you make of these? Tops of ancients circular buildings? Tops of ancient oil refinery tanks? Helicopter landing pads? Errors in the photographic plates? Dust on the lens? Pixelation? Just a bunch o' rocks and boulders?

Or peanut butter cups of the gods?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Pyramid or pixelation?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Or peanut butter cups of the gods?

What the hell am I missing?! Peanut Butter Cup?
Could this be rocks?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I see round things now. Sorry my eyes were not quite adjusting earlier. My apologies.
Cool find.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
could be volcanic spherules in sandstone with the tops sanded off by glaciation.....
Looks too symetrical for natural formation somehow, but ive seen stranger things....
Im on the fence till further evidence......
Where i live on Vancouver island perfectly round rock spheres can be found embedded in sandstone from the volcanic era....im talking from a foot to three or four feet across....dia.
edit on 22-12-2010 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Some rocks such as basalt have a crytaline structure and can form shapes that seem man made. Maybe it is a certain type of rock such as that. But this does look man made to me. Maybe it is something left over from another civilization or maybe it is something that has only been there a few years. It is hard to tell.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Where abouts on the island, stirling?

PS Good find OP... *chuckles* at cups for the gods comment.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Given there are russians stations there and people there I doubt they are unknown and godly. I'd believe they are more structures on solid ground, storage? who knows.

people there are even that image was taken -

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Best title for a thread I've seen in a while.

My first guess is there's something volcanic going on but I don't know anything about there being volcanoes in Antarctica. Whatever they are they look tasty

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Perhaps it has something to do with Russia's Mirny Station, on land just to the east:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44c049b6034f.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3eec8c5c5536.jpg[/atsimg]

But what?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I saw that too. Looks like a 200ft ship? Icebreaker? Who's good at interpreting satellite photo imagery? (I'm just a guy looking around asking questions).

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Maybe the Russians are in that particular location to research these thingies in the first place.

Or they could be oil storage for their base. Far enough away as to not be a hazard.
See - I can think inside the box too.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Peanut butter cups was a great analogy. They do seem to have that exact structure -- all of them. I am going to say man made because while nature might produce round things, I've never seen her replicate the frilly edge of the paper cup -- at least not in what appears to be rock.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Just to recap:

Those probably are related to Mirny station. Heres a photo of similar circular structures at the station proper, and another photo that came back from a search result on Google for Mirny Station. The second photo may very well be the area I'm questioning. It has the staircases I circled as being "pyramids or pixelation".

So... there you have it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de9d5e9104d4.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09bab02469e2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My first thought when I saw these was oil or diesel tanks, albeit in a pretty shabby state? Maybe old tanks from the 50's or something just let to rust?

The tanks in the picture posted in the post immediately above (visible at 66°33'49.73"S 92°59'1.30"E) are more along the lines of what I would expect for currently used and maintained tanks though.

The sizes are comparable, 11 - 18 metres for the objects in OP, around 16 metres for the more 'modern' tanks.

Second possibility, given the distance from the base and more open location is that these could be digestion towers / sedimentation tanks of a sewage treatment plant.

Any wastewater engineers who could give an idea of the sort of population that a treatment plant of that sort of size could serve?

edit on 23-12-2010 by whatisanameanyway because: typo

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by badw0lf

I saw that too. Looks like a 200ft ship? Icebreaker? Who's good at interpreting satellite photo imagery? (I'm just a guy looking around asking questions).

Id say it's a route, the whole area is slush and the spots with circles are flat compared to the other rocky regions.

Ice breaker is a good idea, but the area is definitely observed by people!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I agree with the storage tanks idea. But since i do not speak or write Russian Im not at liberty to just email them. Im sure they know something about them.

But for the sake of argument I would also suggest another possibility. Yep, they look old, maybe older than the 50s. They appear to sit on a Island in the bay, could they be associated with operation high jump, or the Nazi base in Antarctica?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Batteries!
Giant Dry Cell Batteries.
They run out of Juice in December of 2012.

These are literally what makes the world go 'round...

If we change them out, we'll be ok.
I would like bigger ones installed though.
Actually 2 sets. 1 Small and 1 big.

Use the small ones on the weekends...Make the world rotate faster M-F..

Am I overthinking this?

top topics

join