It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police State: "Lefty" San Francisco Can Throw People in Jail For Sitting on a Sidewalk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Police State: "Lefty" San Francisco Can Throw People in Jail For Sitting on a Sidewalk

www.alternet .org

San Francisco -- one of the haloed liberal utopias bookending dreaded, purportedly backwards "flyover country" -- passed Proposition L, a sit-lie ordinance that outlaws sleeping (or resting or sitting) on a public sidewalk between 7am and 11pm.

Police are supposed to give a warning, but after that they can issue a citation that carries a $50-$100 dollar fine. A repeat offense within 24 hours earns the unrepentant sitter a $300-$500 ticket, and/or up to 10 days in jail. If caught sitting or reclining again within 120 days of the original conviction, the individual can be fined $400-$500 do
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Ugh..,

These are the kind of things, ESPECIALLY in the times we find ourselves living in, where the amount of homeless people are sky-rocketing daily, which make my stomach turn.

I know San Fran is considered 'upscale' and what not, and has some sort of image it wants to keep to due to the tourism industry, but this is really kind of a sickening way to treat our fellow human beings. Either get off our streets, or fines and jail time are on the way homeless people!

Another case of the wealthy obviously dictating the laws upon the poor and struggling.

I'm sure there will be more than one view or take on this, I just personally get disheartened by my fellow humans when I see our brothers and sisters treated like this. In these times, this could be you or I!

www.alternet .org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This is San Francisco where groups of men can have open sex on Gay Pride day in public places. The Home of Nancy Pelosi. Where your young men are unable to join the ROTC unless apparently they are gay. Altho the latest University pronouncements say that they will open up the ROTC now that gays are allowed to openly join the military. Carry on America. Let the flaming begin..

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Why is police state in the title? Stop being over dramatic. People would call the cops if somebody was camping out on a sidewalk in front of their house anyway.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by terry853

Well, I am not going to flame you, but neither am I going to condemn anothers preferences.

Your point could hold some merit though in terms of a society and demographic showing tolerances and acceptance towards one group, and an incredible INTOLERANCE towards another though .

All based upon their wealth and class status? This again sounds like a form of class warfare being waged by those with money against those with none to me.

I'm sure there will be some who will agree with this law and say, "Let them move on to another place!"

My answer to that will be, "with the amount of people becoming displaced and homeless in america, soon there will BE no other place."

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Tripping over homeless people, who are scattered all over the sidewalk, is something I've come to expect in San Francisco. I only go there when I have to, and it is unfortunately far too often. I am not supporting the left nor will I say the right is any better. I am saying there is a problem. Normal pedestrian traffic is very heavy in SF, and the people who loiter on the street really do pose a safety hazard.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
...i'm fairly sure every town has similar laws / ordinances but i dont see how this can be perceived as a plot against the homeless...

...if they're ticketed, they cant pay the fine - so they get to go to jail (if the cops can find em again) and sleep with a roof and walls around em and that costs the taxpayers money, not the homeless... when the weather is bad, being in jail for ten days might be a better alternative to sleeping outside...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I am a long-time resident of San Francisco and I just want to say that I do not agree with the Sit-Lie ordinance. I don't vote for it either. BUT this ordinance was VOTED on by the citizens of San Francisco. It wasn't something that was decided by the mayor or board of supervisors. This is how a democracy works.

And I don't know where some people get off, they don't live here, don't know anything about local policy or how the laws came about in the first place. I lived in the Bible Belt for 4 years and I have never encountered more hate-filled, vile people in my entire life. If you didn't think like they did, go to their church and hate the same people they did, then they treated you like filth. I have never encountered that in San Francisco, sure there are rude people people here but decent people far out number the bad.

Yes, San Francisco has a lot of problems and some things could be done better, BUT I know that if I lost my job I could get still get healthcare (we have public healthcare plan here) and that there are plenty of resources here to help people when they need help. For the most part, its a great place to live and consider myself truly and unbelievably lucky to live here.

And just as a side note, I haven't seen ANYONE get a ticket for sitting on the sidewalk. I HAVE seen a lot of people sitting on the side walk though.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
As poverty becomes more pervasive, the state feels itself threatened. Thus they need more tools to exercise their power over the new threat.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
So, if I get this right:

A homeless person will be fined money?

Hmm

Seems to me if they had money, they would not be sleeping on the sidewalk...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Throwback

Typical

typical............

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

This is a video my friend and I made back when we lived in the Tenderloin in San Fransisco. Video speaks for itself.

(But if it doesn't, they spray down the homeless at 3 AM every morning).

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Only to people who have a hard time walking when they are supposedly dozing around during their "Waking Hours"....

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

reminds me of that movie from way the fk back when...........

Logans Run?...There are more.

I'm not particularly religous,but I do believe in respecting we are all here and alive.

You'all have been warned,'b cmn 4 ya.....

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

They didn't spray down the homeless they checked to see if anyone was there in that door way.

There was no homeless person there.

Looks like their cleaning the road/sidewalk.

it's obvious they were checking to make sure they didn't spray a homeless person.
edit on 23-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Haight-Ashbury will never be the same.
Spare changin' no more.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Now that I've re-watched I admit that there was no person in that cubby. What matters, and you should be aware of, is the fact that when people are in those make-shift beds, they do not care. I lived there for months, and I watched many crazy thing out that window. But none of them were as weird as watching fire trucks spraying the sleeping homeless.

Apologies on the way the video was presented, there was no person in that cubby - that night.

At 30 seconds, when the guy checks to see if someone is sleeping - that is actually uncommon.
edit on 23-12-2010 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
our country is made up of heartless cruel thugs,,,
also,,,,

so your gonna fine a homelss person,,,,, isn't that the height of idiocy

if they had 50 or a $100 bucks,,, would they be on a park bench???
]
and now your gonna put him further behind the 8 ball,,, and now he can;t even buy food so he can pay a fine

and why is it standard procedure to extract money for every crime nowadays???

so basically sleeping is now a crime

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Not a fan of any police state concepts at all. But, having said that....

How many people in this thread would be fine if somebody sat on the sidewalk outside of their home for any protracted period of time? What would you do? Let me skip forward, here, to the most common answer to that question...

Hello, this is 911, what is your emergency?

Freedom in the abstract is such an easy thing to ponder. In practice... a bit less black and white.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This is a good law. I hope they fine them all. In the first place it is just nasty to be sitting on a sidewalk. People spit on the side and pigeons siht on the sidewalk.

If I am walking or riding my bike on the sidewalk, I would consider it threatening behavior to have a group of people blocking the pathway by sitting there. That's what benches are for.

It's a damn shame that people have no more pride or common sense than to sit in places they don't belong to be. I would think they would realize it's degrading to themselves to wallow in the mire like pigs.

People are just so stupid they have to be told what is proper behavior and that rather makes your LEO's more like nanny's. Well, I suppose if it weren't for the etiquette-challenged, some police would have a slow day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join