It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jet Stream Really IS Acting Freaky!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

I think we are going to see a major shift in weather patterns at least for the rest of my life. From what I can tell the Jet stream has become "Loopy" and also is setting up blocking patterns causing weather extremes depending on where the loop is.

A second decent explanation of the Jet stream ocean connection: El Niño and La Niña for Dummies

What is causing most of the long term change in the weather is a change in the PDO + AMO. (Think huge hot water bottle.) That is the Atlantic (Ocean) Multidecadal Oscillation and the Pacific (Ocean) Decadal Oscillation

PDO + AMO graph

Here is the regression fit graph that is the observed vs the predicted temperatures.

There is one piece of information that no one seems to refute: Weather Cycles
SHORT TERM:

NASA:
...The Nile water levels and aurora records had two somewhat regularly occurring variations in common - one with a period of about 88 years and the second with a period of about 200 years....
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

And the longer term: The Milancovitch cycle

Because the intensities of the 397 ka BP and present insolation minima are very similar, we conclude that under natural boundary conditions the present insolation minimum holds the potential to terminate the Holocene interglacial

If you want a REALLY interesting bit of information, it seems that the length of the day is not a constant but varies!

Introduction

It has long been theorized that the Earth's rate of rotation has been slowly decreasing through time. However, only recently have apparent accelerations been discovered....

Abstract- Variations in the rate of Earth rotation have been correlated with the non-dipole portion of the Earth's geomagnetic field.

Long period variations have been correlated to geomagnetic polarity bias, and short period variations have been attributed to non-dipole induced electromagnetic coupling between the outer core and the lower mantle. It is believed that the polarity bias is a manifestation of core-mantle boundary topography influencing the otherwise random behavior of the non-dipole portion of the field. Mass transfer at the core-mantle boundary due to topographic changes (perhaps due to oceanic trench redistribution) may result in the required changes in the Earth's angular velocity, due to conservation of angular momentum. On a shorter time scale, electromagnetic coupling may produce a sufficient torque on the lower mantle to affect drag. Short period fluctuations of rotation correlate well with mean global temperature variations. It is proposed that circulation in the core, mantle, lithosphere, and atmosphere are interrelated.
www.natsci.colostate.edu...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I wonder if that comment on Conspiracy Theory is right, where they said the BP disaster will affect the jet stream, and so maybe this was intentional in order to cause a winter storm. What is odd about this is that this disproves the "global warming" since it is freezing, but maybe they could then say it was "man made" when in fact it was, but not exactly caused by carbon emissions.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

If all of that technical mumbo jumbo adds up to a succinct picture or story explaining what is happening, please, do tell us. That the days are not always exactly the same length figures into this story just how??

While everybody seems to have a bit of science to throw out here and there, no one has so far put it all together in a way that makes any sense.

So far, the only thing I get is that the weather/jetstream has been "loopy" and "wacky". It doesn't tell me why tho.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
As a mere observation from central UK, we have had the worst December since I can remember. We usually get snow around February time, not this early in Winter.

The news was quoting the lowest temperatures for December here since records began in the early 1900s earlier this week.

Coincidence? maybe...maybe not.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I really wish I could explain more to you guys, but every tme I say something I get accused of covering up for weather modification or nobody believes me....

Do you have any information on the blocking pattern? Also from the little bit of research I have done it seems the jet Stream is "loopier" That is has a larger amplitude to the wave pattern.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Like several other posters on this sight have stated it is very ironic that the bp disaster hits, it was stated that it could change the weather patterns and now we have one of the worst winters in Europe in current history. Is it a coincidence

But yet again why ever put the blame on the problem, nah just go every way possible around the truth

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

If all of that technical mumbo jumbo adds up to a succinct picture or story...

I'll try again without references.

The weather runs in cycles.
OCEANS
The oceans, 70% of the earth's surface, have a cycle of about 60 years or so. The PDO or Pacific Ocean cycle just changed from warm to cold. You also have El Nino and La Nina. These refer to whether there are "hot spots" in the oceans (see references above) El Nino and La Nina directly effect the Trade Winds and the ocean heat or rather the temperature differential effect the Jet Stream.

In other words changes in the surface temperature of the oceans effect changes in the movement of air, that is the Trade Winds and Jet stream.

Second there are other cycles. The 88 yr or Gleissberg cycle and the 200 yr or Suess cycle that the NASA article tied to the ocean cycles and the sun.

SUN
The 90,000-year Milankovitch cycle is the cycle of Ice Ages and relates to the position of the earth in relation to the sun. In 1976 James Hays, John Imbrie and Shackleton provided evidence from various seabed cores that matched the Milancovitch cycle. At this time we are at the end of the Holocene (the present interglacial) No one really knows what tips the earth from the warm interglacials to the default condition of Ice Age.

One scientific study showed the Solar energy in the Artic was 9% higher than at present much earlier in the Holocene and the summer temperatures in the Arctic has dropped 1 to 3 C.

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution has found Fossil evidence that clearly shows Earth's climate can shift gears within ten years.

Another study show the sun is more magnetically active now than it has been for over a 1000 years - (Ilya Usoskin and colleagues at the University of Oulu and the Max-Planck Institute for Aeronomy)

Recently the Sun has gone into a funk and NASA found the Extreme UV has dropped by 6% and the Solar Wind has hit a 50 yr low.

There are also the changes in albedo from cloud cover as measured by the Earthshine Project. The Albedo directly effects the amount of energy the earth's surface receives.

In other words there has been a lot of changes lately and all of them effect the weather!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Thank you, crimvelvet, for all the wonderful info! And thanks for breaking it down for us.

I think it's beginning to become clear that our weather is making a drastic change. It can't be counted on to behave in the more predictable patterns of the past. Exactly how that is gonna work out for all of us remains to be seen, I guess.

I'l just make sure to have a fur-lined bikini and some swim floaties handy at all times!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Hello, Oz, maybe you can help me. Having a "discussion" this morning with hubby who is going on and on about how the jet stream is breaking down due to the GOM. Well, I don't believe that. I am of the opinion that, although there may be some small manmade contribution to the strange stuff we are seeing, I believe that factors to do with the Earth and the Sun are the prime contributers. Well, this fearmongering article linked at Rense has him all out of sorts. Particularly this video:

Is this all that unusual? I told him it was due to "La Nina" but he wants to know if this ever happened before. I remember reading somewhere that these types of anomalies and breakdowns happened before but I can't find the article. In the absence of a source, I wanted your opinion on just how rare of an event this is so I can at least argue from authority

Sometimes I think that if you look at anything that you haven't looked at before closely enough, it will look strange to you. Maybe that is what is happening to a lot of people about the jet stream.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I think it's beginning to become clear that our weather is making a drastic change. It can't be counted on to behave in the more predictable patterns of the past...

That about sums it up.

As far as I can tell there are many many factors contributing to the weather and scientist are barely catching a glimpse of what is really happening. As a chemist I have done multi-variable studies on what is going on in a pot full of chemicals. If we can't completely unravel something as simple as that, there is no way I believe climate scientists have all the answers as to what effects our weather.

The other major factor identified to effect weather, as some one else pointed out, is volcanoes. A big one in the wrong place can have a major effect. A major volcanic eruption was a contributing factor in the French Revolution. A very bad growing season, famine and useless idiots leading the country and Voilà a revolution.

This graph shows the Mt. Pinatubo cooling and this graph shows the recent changes in sea surface temps.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

I cannot speak for him, but here is a link, not associalted with him that supports what he is saying: www.cpc.noaa.gov...

In my opinion his posts are reasonable and informative, the tone seems to me to be one of helpfullness.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by allprowolfy

Like several other posters on this sight have stated it is very ironic that the bp disaster hits, it was stated that it could change the weather patterns and now we have one of the worst winters in Europe in current history. Is it a coincidence....

The BP Gulf of Mexico disaster could very well have been done on purpose by BP. It was reported that the drilling crew had a real fight with management about the sloppy cost cutting measures. On another web site I frequent, very knowledge people with hands-on experience were appalled at how BP handled this drilling operation.

BP could have caused the accident to generate bad press about oil drilling in the USA. (Note that Brazil is now doing the drilling in the gulf and is FUNDED by the US government!)

It certainly has come in handy to hide the change in the weather patterns too.

So was the disaster done on purpose? MAYBE

BP Decisions Set Stage for Disaster
BP, for instance, cut short a procedure involving drilling fluid that is designed to detect gas in the well..

BP also skipped a quality test of the cement around the pipe—another buffer against gas—despite what BP now says were signs of problems with the cement job and despite a warning from cement contractor Halliburton Co.

..BP manager overseeing final well tests apparently had scant experience in deep-water drilling. He told investigators he was on the rig to "learn about deep water,"...

...Companies often use two pipes, one inside another, sealed together, with the smaller one sticking into the oil reservoir. With this system, if gas tries to get up the outside of the pipe, it has to break through not just cement but also the seal connecting the pipes. So the more typical design provides an extra level of protection, but also requires another long, expensive piece of pipe.

"I couldn't understand why they would run a long string," meaning a single pipe, said David Pursell, a petroleum engineer...

(Places Tin Foil Hat on head)

And here is the WHY
If you do the follow the money bit you come up with the Bankers (no surprise) and their hopes of salvaging a major wealth generating fraud.

...the largest BP shareholder: the U.S. investment firm JPMorgan Chase. [SURPRISE
]

According to the European financial database Amadeus, JPMorgan Chase is the No. 1 holder of stock in BP.

Who controls the News Media?
(Do not forget all the LOANS to all the corporations who advertise as well as the Media companies)

U.S. Congressional Record February 9, 1917: J.P. Morgan interests bought 25 of America's leading newspapers, and inserted their own editors, in order to control the media.

JP Morgan: Our next big media player? (April 13, 2010) JP Morgan controls 54 U.S. daily newspapers,and owns 31 television stations. www.newsandtech.com...

Media Conglomerates, Mergers, Concentration of Ownership: www.globalissues.org...

Who Tried to get control of the Carbon Trading Market at Copenhagen?
Danish text: The draft hands effective control of climate change finance to the World Bank

Rockefeller/Chase Bank/IMF/World Bank connection

The Chase Bank has also had a strong connection to the World Bank, as three presidents (John J. McCloy, Eugene R. Black, Sr. and George Woods) all worked at Chase before taking up positions at the international bank. A fourth president, James D. Wolfensohn, is also closely associated with Rockefeller, serving as a director of the Rockefeller Foundation, amongst other family-created institutions.[15]

Rockefeller has also for many years hosted annual luncheons at the family's Westchester County Pocantico estate for the world's finance ministers and central bank governors, following the annual Washington meetings of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.[16] These luncheons were held at the Playhouse. These regular meetings were also attended by the other internationalist in the family, John D. Rockefeller III, until his death in 1978.... en.wikipedia.org...

The chairman of the 1972 First Earth Summit was Maurice Strong. Strong started out working for the Rockefellers in Saudi Arabia in oil.

...He took over and turned around some small ailing energy companies in the 1960s, and he was president of a major holding company -- the Power Corporation of Canada...

...in 1975, he was invited back to Canada to run the semi-national Petro-Canada, created by Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau in the wake of OPEC's oil shocks.

Among the hats he currently wears are: Senior Advisor to UN Secretary General Kofi Annan; Senior Advisor to World Bank President James Wolfensohn; Chairman of the Earth Council; Chairman of the World Resources Institute; Co-Chairman of the Council of the World Economic Forum; member of Toyota's International Advisory Board. As advisor to Kofi Annan, he is overseeing the new UN reforms.

...and as an advisor to the Rockefeller Foundation and the World Wildlife Fund. Above all, he served on the Commission on Global Governance

It is instructive to read Strong's 1972 Stockholm speech and compare it with the issues of Earth Summit 1992. Strong warned urgently about global warming, the devastation of forests, the loss of biodiversity, polluted oceans, the population time bomb. Then as now, he invited to the conference the brand-new environmental NGOs [non-governmental organizations]: he gave them money to come; they were invited to raise hell at home. After Stockholm, environment issues became part of the administrative framework in Canada, the U.S., Britain, and Europe.

INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY: WHO IS MAURICE STRONG?

And the final shocking bit of news:

....The more relevant figure is 4,700. If my quick calculation has it right, that’s the number of days since the last time a BP CEO was in the Oval Office.

On that day, August 4, 1997, then-CEO, (then-Sir) John Browne, joined by Ken Lay, met in the Oval with President Clinton and Vice President Gore.

Their mission that day? As revealed in the August 1, 1997 Lay briefing memo whiih I was later provided — having left a brief dance with Enron after raising questions about this very issue — it was to demand that the White House ignore unanimous Senate instruction pursuant to Art. II, Sec. 2 of the Constitution (“advice”, of “advice and consent” fame), and to go to Kyoto and agree to the “global warming” treaty.

Oh, and to enact a cap-and-trade scheme.

Oddly, President Obama tonite will telegraph that he’s really going to stick it to BP tomorrow and give ‘em…the cap-and-trade scheme they concocted with Enron (spare me the hysterics, comrades, as I have detailed and explained in various ways here, here and here, I was in the room )....
biggovernment.com...-132782

Ain't it fun to follow the GOLDEN YELLOW BRICK ROAD?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It certainly has come in handy to hide the change in the weather patterns too.

So was the disaster done on purpose? MAYBE

I've been curious about that, too. An all around disaster cover for Earth changes that are happening (weather, quakes, sea floor) and also to blame man and impose restrictions and taxes?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I have a feeling that a similar thing happened in the severe winter we had in the UK in 1962/3?

I don't have time right now to look into it, but I post this because if it is a similar event/repositioning of weather, then perhaps that could ease some people's anxiety over this current event.

Also, if it is similar to what happened in 1962/3 - it kind of begs the question - why do so many computer weather models and in fact meteoroligists suggest that this is a 'freak/unheralded' event - surely we have pretty good records of that event/period and they are programmed into the computer?

I get less and less enamoured with the apparent reliance on computer 'modelling' every year, it certainly seems to regularly find it's limits...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Just use common sense.

The North as in Canada and Russia were extremely warm, the temperatures of the lakes and land masses were heated much more than normal. There was a cyclone over the great lakes for crying out loud. Northern birds migrated south upto 4weeks late this year and the super heating of the great lakes has caused massive amounts of snow due to evaporation when cold fronts move in and pick up the water only to dump it back down a few miles away.

How much steam do you get when you take a coffee outside on a cold day?

Does hot air not rush out of a house when you open the door into the cold?

Does cool air not rush in below it?

If the top (north) is warmer than the bottom could that not affect where warm and cool air is rushing to?

Do you believe in the path of least resistence?

Any number of things can change the weather patterns of a planet. Some of these things are the sun, volcanoes. meteors etc.

-Regards

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Very well spoken crimvelvet, following the golden money trail has always been the best way in finding the truth out.

But, with only being an average joe with higher than normal common sense levels what do we know right

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

No thats incorrect

The reason for the cold weather is La Nina, which affects the jetstream. Ive said it already dozens of times here....I do actually monitor the weather for a living. They have a relation, but the main cause is La Nina

You must remember, while the east coast of Australia has been suffering colder and wetter weather than normal, the entire west coast where I live and work has just gone through our driest year on record and late winter, spring and the start of summer, have been a lot hotter than normal.

I really wish I could explain more to you guys, but everytme I say something I get accused of covering up for weather modification or nobody believs me.

I guess when we found out earlier this year that La Nina was becoming more prevalent (thanks to the climate section at work), I shouldve expected this from ATS

Heheheh, no offense man, but regardless of this being a conspiracy board, just the fact that you're essentially a weatherman takes away all credibility. One of the oldest cliche's out there is that the damn weatherman is always wrong. And that's why it's an awesome career.

You don't even have to be correct and you still get paid!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Something I just thought about whilest in ATS Chat.... does Europe have the drainage capacity to handle the melt-off come spring/summer?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I live in Atlantic Canada and the weather here has also been crazy. We have had floods covering peoples houses, destroying roads, stopping ferries, all within the last month. There would normally be snow on the ground this time of year, and at the very least the ground would be frozen, but it feels like spring! The cause of all of this flooding was a weather system that passed through and stopped over us for about a week, which according to a weather analyst from CBC didn't make any sense.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

I've been curious about that, too. An all around disaster cover for Earth changes that are happening (weather, quakes, sea floor) and also to blame man and impose restrictions and taxes?

From the research I have done, two things stand out. The Banker/Corporate Cartel (Bilderberger or whatever) are both long range planners and extremely ruthless.

I have looked into the grab for complete control of the food supply and the Central Banks control of the world economy and in both cases you are talking of decades of planning and inch by inch accumulation of power and wealth.

Once you start digging it is quite clear. Unfortunately TPTB also grabbed control of the Media and education long ago so it is difficult to get their puppets to lift the veil and see how they have been manipulated. No one likes to find out they have been a "Useful Idiot" No one likes to find out all those "nice beneficial social programs" were really about transferring wealth and power from the poor and middle class to the rich.

Unfortunately TPTB are very good at hiding their trail and at misdirection. If you read Secrets of the Federal Reserve and the London Connection by Eustace Mullins. and how his book was buried or what John Perkins, author of “Confessions of an Economic Hit Man” said in an interview, you get a glimpse of how they work.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join