It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans fascination with guns and the military

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
How come so many americans has an interest and seemingly a great fascination for arms, weapons and miltary stuff? Beeing from Sweden I find this kind of intriguing. Here we have no such culture, and certainly we have no law that allows averyone to carry arms.

Is this "fascination" for guns equally spread among all social groups? Geographically? I've also noticed that many of the members on ATS seems to have a big fascination with guns. Sometimes discussions about different weapons and military equipment sounds close to... errrm... sexual in nature

So -- How come??

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think part of the fascination comes from ones upbrining. Those raised in urban enviroments most likely on get exposed to handguns either via gang encounters, or the police. If you live out in a rurual area you tend to encounter alot more rifles and such, especially if hunting is prevelant. As for an even spread among social groups, I would think not. Some social groups have no interest in firearms, others are totally against them and would like to see them destroyed. Gangs and major criminals see them as a way to enforce their will, and hunters/sport shooters see them as a way of life and recreation.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I will ignore the backhanded insult and respond.

America was founded based on some ideals.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

No one can take that away including the government.

So if the government is the only one with the guns then how would a populace keep the government from expanding into... totalatarianism?

England forbade its citizens from gun ownership for one reason. You can't fight back. So America greww up thinking guns are not only a right they are necessary for a free people to stay that way.

We grew to be the most powerful country on Earth and love and respect for the power that comes from the end of a gun satyed and flourished.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think maybe it is because our country was created while guns existed. Meaning, the European countries were created when the only tools they used for food was thier hands, then maybe a plow, then a gun to hunt. American created thier county right off the bat using firearms. Of course, the American were really Europeans, so I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Why our fascination with guns and weapons?

Many reasons. For one, the idea of self sufficency and independance from govornment institutions is everything to the older American ideal, including self defense.

Our society is more agressive, more individualistic, so weapons become an extention of our own physical selves.

Maybe you could udnerstand it a little better, since youre Swedish: think vikings. How the vikings even named thier weapons.

Weapons in America are a tool of survival, because the national mentality tends to be tempermental and agressive.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
As for how this enjoyment of weaponry is spread, it is evenly distributed. Youll find both the rich and the poor very much gun lovers, youll also find very very rich and poor who hate guns.

Some states are anti gun, and have strict anti gun laws. other states are very free with guns. But youll find even where guns are banned, people still fascinated with them. So its semi geographical.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
I will ignore the backhanded insult and respond.

America was founded based on some ideals.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

No one can take that away including the government.

So if the government is the only one with the guns then how would a populace keep the government from expanding into... totalatarianism?

England forbade its citizens from gun ownership for one reason. You can't fight back. So America greww up thinking guns are not only a right they are necessary for a free people to stay that way.

We grew to be the most powerful country on Earth and love and respect for the power that comes from the end of a gun satyed and flourished.

Do you regard my question as an insult? Why?

And secondly: "... love for the power that comes from the end of a gun?" What do you mean by that? Is that a common opinion?

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Some states are anti gun, and have strict anti gun laws. other states are very free with guns. But youll find even where guns are banned, people still fascinated with them. So its semi geographical.

Yes, of course. Even in Sweden we have individuals who are most fascinated with these stuff. I was more interested in the origin of this interest and fascination among the general population. But you and others have already enlightened me on these matters. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
i'm from England and interest in Guns amongst the common population is very limited, i'm have a slight interest in weaponry, not as killing weapons (yes i know that what they are) but as technology and the advancement of human knowledge

Whats gun crime like in Sweden?

In the UK it is growing but the violent gun crime is still mainly in the cities.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Yes EYES, saying that the love might be sexual in nature is a backhanded insult because you are instantly dismissing a rational response and delegating it to psyco-sexual babble.

And yes" Love for the power that comes from the end of a gun" is a common opinion.

Think about it. We took territiry from the Native Americans, Mexicans, Cubans, Phillipinos, Japanese... I think you get the idea. We became a world power from the end of a gun. Power is a very strong emotion.

All the way down to gang members and militia members. If they have a gun in their hands they HAVE to be listened to.

We wanted to be a world power so we did.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
i'm from England and interest in Guns amongst the common population is very limited, i'm have a slight interest in weaponry, not as killing weapons (yes i know that what they are) but as technology and the advancement of human knowledge

Whats gun crime like in Sweden?

In the UK it is growing but the violent gun crime is still mainly in the cities.

Well, it's growing here to. Organized crime has expanded since the EU membership opened our doors to the east, but it's still a pretty safe country to live in. I hope it can stay that way.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Actually, Eyes makes a very good point about the almost "sexual" love of guns. Its not an insult, CR.

Guns, like the swords and axes that came before them, are phallic symbols. Symbols of masculine power. A weapon is basically an extention of the penis. You said it best when you said "power at the end of a barrel."

Phallic symbols have always been symbolic of power.

This country was built on the idea of power for the individual over thier own life. Thus, having a gun gives an individual ultimate power of thier own life, and sometimes, the life of others.

Incidentally, Eyes of the Future, gun crime in the US is not as bad as you may hear in the news. Twice as many people are stabbed to death in the us than are killed with guns.

Most gun deaths are accidental or suicides. We may have alot of guns here, but contrary to media sterotypes, we dont use them at the drop of a dime. Not at all. But we do like to keep them, those of us that arent sociopaths, for protection.

The power to protect ones own safety instead of leaving that power in the hands of the system, law enforcement, ect.

Americans really dont trust govornment much.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
Yes EYES, saying that the love might be sexual in nature is a backhanded insult because you are instantly dismissing a rational response and delegating it to psyco-sexual babble.

If you regard that as an insult I apologize. And what do you mean by "psycho-sexual" babble? From your choice of words I can tell that you have no high thoughts about psychology as science. You don't think psychological factors are relevant in this matter?

All the way down to gang members and militia members. If they have a gun in their hands they HAVE to be listened to.

Are you just stating obvious facts here or making a point?

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Well for one thing every country has gun nuts. It just so happens that more Americans are online a lot so you here our views more. But its is true that we do seem to like guns. Probably because we have a more violent media. Almost every show i've seen on TV features a gun or involves a gun. Then it seems like America is always at war with someone.

Anywho I'm off to polish my AK-47. Just kidding.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Incidentally, Eyes of the Future, gun crime in the US is not as bad as you may hear in the news. Twice as many people are stabbed to death in the us than are killed with guns.

Thanks for your input, Skadi!

And I do nurture a healthy skepticism towards all news and media

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It does get blown out of proportion. From a percentage basis its not bad given the number of guns out there. One of the problems is that docu/dramas like Bowling for Columbine was severly tainted by Moores political views and it is presented as mainstream thought.

I grew up with occasional access to guns for hunting etc. However, I do not keep any guns in the house, as we have a small child.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have a Glock 9mm, 17 shot clip, preban, AND a 12 guage shotgun, AND a .22 caliber rifle, AND, a .22 caliber derringer. You wanna know something, I never killed anybody, amazing isn't it? And you wanna know what else? I never even had a hunting license....But, if you walk into my home with evil intent, and I can manage, I would surely dislodge one of my firearms, most likely in the direction of you, in protection of my, and my family's "Life, Liberty, and/or Property" It is sorrowful so many people of the world neatly classify Americans into prejudicial molds. Having been on this board for quite some time, it has become apparent to me many here have no understanding of this great nation in which I reside. So be it.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesOfTheFuture

Thanks for your input, Skadi!

And I do nurture a healthy skepticism towards all news and media

Good for you!
As do I.

I have been born and raised in this country, and when I went abroad in the army, i was actually shocked to find out people thought we frequently shoot each other over parking spots. Untrue. When someone takes a good parking spot, we flip them off and call them obscenties, then look for another. If someone take a parking spot that is reserved for us, we simply vandalize thier car.
No guns involved.

But it goes to show you media, no matter what country, always looks for the "sensational"!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
I have a Glock 9mm, 17 shot clip, preban, AND a 12 guage shotgun, AND a .22 caliber rifle, AND, a .22 caliber derringer. You wanna know something, I never killed anybody, amazing isn't it? And you wanna know what else? I never even had a hunting license....But, if you walk into my home with evil intent, and I can manage, I would surely dislodge one of my firearms, most likely in the direction of you, in protection of my, and my family's "Life, Liberty, and/or Property" It is sorrowful so many people of the world neatly classify Americans into prejudicial molds. Having been on this board for quite some time, it has become apparent to me many here have no understanding of this great nation in which I reside. So be it.

There are no Glock handguns that accept "clips." The correct term is "magazine."

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

But it goes to show you media, no matter what country, always looks for the "sensational"!

Exactly and your point about people overseas think we swagger around with gun belts on hips ready to draw at the slightest provacation. My Brother in law when he visited from France. He actually seemed disapointed that we did not see any "violence" during our stay here. as it would have confirmed his opinions. Alas most peoples opinions are influenced by movies and televison which basically portray the US as a modern Wild Wild West.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join