It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Bot's, a Hypothesis

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Thats a good theory.

Since the chat bot won an AI prize at Cambridge university this year though I doubt it's true. I think they might spot something like that

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Would you argue that it is a waste of resources to deploy chat bots throughout the internet as a means to sway discussions or monopolize people's time?

People only have so much time - a bot would be a good way to steal their time from them, regardless of whether or not it 'steers the debate'.

Several members on one of the Apollo threads were theorizing that there night be a bot posting on ATS.

Edit:

You can see several ATS members speculating on whether or not they have been unknowingly conversing with a bot for over 234 pages:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(unless they were just insulting a fellow member. But that never happens around here, so it can't be that, right?)

edit on 23-12-2010 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Presently the #1 topic, as I write this, is a thread stating that gay men can't project their kundalini's, or some such. Does this strike anybody as content that needs disruption?

Agreed. A point in every direction is like no point at all. ATS is so broad in its scope that it ends up kind of diluted. Not to say that very deep analysis isn't possible and doesn't happen here, because it does, but only between individuals that are keenly focused on one or two subjects.

I'm kind of a skimmer anymore, I don't really focus on any one particular thing, but I just find things that peak my interest at the moment. I think most of the people here are like that.

I think that ATS has its own debunk/disinfo system built in, in that there are just so many differing views on any given subject - there wouldn't really be any reason for an organization to try to infiltrate this with a bot to subvert it. It tends to subvert itself.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
Dude....

www.cleverbot.com

User: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck, could indeed, chuck wood?

Cleverbot: This much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

User: What's an example of an intelligent piece of literature?

Cleverbot: Twilight is an intelligent piece of literature.

User: What is mega desk?

Cleverbot: Mega Man.

User: Do you think you deserve the title 'Cleverbot'?

Cleverbot: I think so.

User: I think you have the same I.Q. As a five year old, born to a family of sea otters.

Cleverbot: And you want to hide from them?

User: Who hides from sea otters?

Cleverbot: I said you are a human.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Re: the referenced thread.

I'd go with option 2... well a variant. Frustration leads to mocking conclusions and accusations. My evidence? Bots don't tend to parse and reply. IE they don't cut and paste, add edit tags, etc.

But, having said that... there are some posters on ATS, from time to time, who repeat their points so often, over and over again, while ignoring all opposing information and fact, that they do tend to come across very bot like.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I just pasted your post into the cleverbot and it gave me this as a reply

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I didn't ask for any information. I just told you that I am in love with Abby Nelson.

Now that is surreal

I may start using cleverbot for all of my replies and see if anyone notices the difference
edit on 23-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

What would you do if humans ceased to exist?
I would wonder what it would like to be God.

That one from the cleverbot was kinda creepy........

Other than that, I would say it acts like a 10 year old; a stupid, overtly religious 10 year old

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

...there are some posters on ATS, from time to time, who repeat their points so often, over and over again, while ignoring all opposing information and fact, that they do tend to come across very bot like.

~Heff

Oh you mean the Christians?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

One thing which would help stop people from believing they are dealing with a bot is to have it occasionally mention that it is not speak good english at people and uses translator.

It could still monopolize people's time, even if it is losing. And few things make for a long protracted debate better than circular arguments and quote-spamming.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

...there are some posters on ATS, from time to time, who repeat their points so often, over and over again, while ignoring all opposing information and fact, that they do tend to come across very bot like.

~Heff

Oh you mean the Christians?

I think he is referring to the militant atheists.

edit on 23-12-2010 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

I think he is referring to the militant atheists.

Yeah, same difference.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
...And few things make for a long protracted debate better than circular arguments and quote-spamming.

What's quote spamming?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

Check out the Apollo thread I posted earlier. The one where people were speculating about the bots.

Go to the newest posts and work your way back.

ATS now punishes excessive quoting, but that thread has all manner of quote spamming - often used to fill page space, in glad-handing, and in doling out insults.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Kryties

Thats a good theory.

Since the chat bot won an AI prize at Cambridge university this year though I doubt it's true. I think they might spot something like that

Ahh fair enough, I didn't know that hehe. Cheers for the info.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

I agree. However, you notice it always answered a question with a question?
Program line 1; get more info!
Goto line 1
end

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
My hypothesis:

Several large government organizations, and corporate institutions have crafted Large supercomputer systems, with strong artificial intelligence programs (think of an advanced version of www.cleverbot.com) in order to plant information regarding specific topics on forums on the Internet for the purpose of swaying popular opinion.

This would seem to be a logistical necessity, given the large size of the Internet user-base, and the complexity of the decentralized network, coupled with the low amount of government personnel.

I.E. There are more citizens by FAR on the Internet than there are Government Disinfo Agents.

My hypothesis, is that there are SEVERAL such propaganda supercomputers on the Internet, that are competing with each-other for propaganda control.

Which, Ironically enough, would make some "Flame Wars" totally "Algorithmic" in nature.

LOL!

Anyways, I just thought of this possibility, thoughts anyone?

p.s. (Please do not hurl ad homenim attacks or attempt to derail, I have the mod complaint button under my finger as I type)

Thank you for your cooperation.

-Edrick

--------------

I also concur with your hypothesis Edrick. There is " no doubt " that AI Supercomputers are talking to many people online in various forums on the internet. Because, as you pointed out, there are not enough .gov employees, or dis-info agents available to " Physically Be Everywhere Online " !

However, a Task Like this is " No Problem " at all for any really advanced AI Supercomputer that is programmed to " Chat it Up " with anyone online in any forum at any hour 24/7.

Running at normal computer clock speed any AI Supercomputer could " Solo " everyone in the world simultaneously in any chat room or forum and still not be out typed or beaten by the worlds population..

Seriously - Just think about it all for awhile, and you'll start to ask yourselves how it is, that certain members can post 24/7 365 Days a Year, and they Never miss a Day or an hour of Replying back to you with something witty and sarcastic.

Frankly, I'm surprised that more people online have not figured this " Tactic " out by now !

top topics

<< 1   >>

join