It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising sea levels linked to increased earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The following is a very interesting post from Jeff Masters at Weather Underground:

www.wunderground.com...

Here is the beginning quote:

Major earthquakes occur when the stress on rocks between two tectonic plates reaches a critical breaking point, allowing the earth to move along the connecting fault. While the slow creep of the tectonic plates makes earthquakes inevitable along major faults, the timing and exact location of the quake epicenter can be influenced by outside forces pushing down on Earth's crust. For example, the sloshing of water into the Eastern Pacific during El Niño events has been linked to magnitude 4, 5, and 6 earthquakes on the seafloor below, due to the extra weight of water caused by local sea level rise. Sea level rise due to rapid melting of Earth's ice sheets could also potentially trigger earthquakes, though it is unknown at what melting rate such an effect might become significant.

And the following is the source he is referencing:

asnycnowradio.wordpress.com...

Makes sense to me...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Is this a global warming™ lobby thing?

Stop pouring corexit and oil in to the oceans, then.

What isn't linked to earthquakes? I figure that the subterranean ocean of abiotic oil is needed to stabilize the earth's temperatures. But then, I believe that weather comes from underground, and from the sun's interaction with the underground. Even BP can't really dent it, but they can poison the water and the bottom of the food chain. Out of sight, out of mind.

I've looked at houses and sea walls up and down lake Michigan for years. The lake is quite low, and has been for decades. Some sea walls are buried by sand, so far has this inland ocean of water receded. Why hasn't it risen? Aren't the glaciers melting fast enough? Or how about...all that melted glacier water in the air, because of me, because of you, creating more rainfall..ought that not have made it rise? Who's measuring anyhow? Perhaps the shores are simply eroding, naturally, and since civilization planted foundations there, and it now encroaches, everyone freaks?

The thing is, the gov is going to use any possible crisis to make itself more powerful. What did rahm say? Never fail to seize a crisis? I fail to see a crisis in a hoax.

new topics

join