It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any advantages to living in a cold climate?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Bud or Buddette:

I'm totally with you.

Let's meet in Nice or Monte Carlo asap!

If not, Malta, or Tunis, or Morroco, or Libya will be fine, too...I'm a bit weary of Greece right now....
edit on 22-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1

Bud or Buddette:

I'm totally with you.

Let's meet in Nice or Monte Carlo asap!

If not, Malta, or Tunis, or Morroco, or Libya will be fine, too...I'm a bit weary of Greece right now....
edit on 22-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

That is sure to be great experience.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The only people who get the advantage are the people who live off the land..... Has to be the hardest climate to survive in if all the conveniences of city living are taken away from you....

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara

I'm built for the cold.. I burn in sunlight and if your someone who burns live in the land of ice and snow. The cold is also good for snowball fights, snow angels, and many winter sports. Cross country skiing is a healthy was to stay fit in the winter works your arms legs and core. You can also down hill ski, skate, snow shoe and shovel the drive way. Snow shoeing is a great way to get a tone of exercise, its a much better work out than plain old walking.

If you live in an area with both hot summers and frigged winters its great you get the best of both worlds, summer sports and winter sports.

agreed, Northern Michigan here and I love having the mixed weather. I get to ride my motorcycle 8 months of the year and snow show the other 4. Going out shoeing with the kids is great. We pack a lunch and grab the hand held GPS and go exploring. They bring the binoculars to watch birds and any other creatures we might see. It is exciting for them and much better than sitting in the house playing a damned video game. They're only little once.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

We don't have spiders so big you could put a small dog collar on them, give them a name and take them for a walk.

We don't have snakes that are so big that you have to worry about your little dog or small child getting eaten.

We don't have alligators or crocks in our lakes

Bugs die off during a really cold spell where as in climates with no freeze, bugs just keep populating all year long.

While I hate being cold, the snow and ice are beautiful. I find the bleakness of winter, makes me less bubbly (read Scott Westerfeld :lol
- Uglies Series)

Today is over cast, no sun...........and I miss any day there is no sunshine.

Winter time for me anyway is a time when I evaluate more what am I really here for and what do I really want to accomplish in the short time I have left.

I get a lot more reading, researching and philosophizing accomplished during this time.

Happy Holidays to one and all.

edit on 23-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It frees up fridge space...

Other than that .....

NO!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kimkim3074

Right on!

But Dave is going to have to leave the cats at home, I say...

Unless HE IS A CAT...then it's a NO-GO...

edit on 23-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: ETA

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Where I live that's happened... I ran out of room in my fridge one Christmas so I stuck my Christmas turkey on the porch. I also kept beer out there until one year it exploded. Last year we got that much snow, this year we've had a lot less than usual.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by sonjah1

I want to move to the Mediterranean as soon as I can,
The darkness gets to me even more then the cold to tell you the truth, I even have one of those "light box" things that is supposed to simulate sunlight but it doesn't help much.

I wish I was a Bear so that I could hibernate

I love snow and hearing people moaning about the weather makes me laugh. We over exagerate it something stupid. Basically the media in line with the government exagerate this idea we have bad weather, as it excuses and somewhat justifies their blatant incompetence.

The only thing I don't like about winter snow, as you say, it gets dark really early. I don't like that at all

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Not too bad here in Chi town, not as cold as people think it is here, that's just the whiners

I'm not a big fan of snow and cold either, but it's fairly mild here overall so I can't complain.

Here's a happy winter story for us all

edit on 23-12-2010 by Whiffer Nippets because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Well, if the cold lasts long enough, there might be an advantage for your distant descendants.

One evolutionary theory is that brain-size is limited by heat, and that ethnic groups which have adapted to cold climates enjoy an increase in brain size. The brain is the most calorie hungry organ in the body, and produces a lot of heat, so there may be some truth in it. Or it may be bogus bull put out to prove that the darker peoples are less intelligent.

Perhaps if natural selection favours increased intelligence for long enough, humanity will develop ventilated skulls.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I'm from Aus and i'd give anything to live in a cold region!
A positive, you don't have to put the beer in the fridge

You get to drink hot cocoa

P.s it's easier to get warm when it's cold than to cool down when it's hot

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mentalistbee

You're obviously not in Victoria. 11 degrees C here atm.
WA?
Perhaps you should fly over.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Sydney

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It is said that the people live in the cold area can live longer than the ones who live in the hot places.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by skyvia

Well you certainly end up looking less wrinkly thats for sure.
I have a Finnish friend that looks 20 and she's nearly 40

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
If you can deal with it, it builds character. Besides shoveling it from the driveway and sidewalk is quite a workout. You also get opportunity to practice and potentially master certain driving skills that few in warmer climes will understand. (Can be unnerving in traffic or certain terrains, but on mostly flat land with no traffic - things like drifting sideways can actually be fun!) And if you're the type that revels in solitude, it's quite possible to have parks and trails and beaches all to yourself. (Just be smart enough to not get too far from civilization while alone and bundle up properly and avoid walking on frozen lakes or waterways.) Crunching around in snow and hearing nothing but perfect silence is an interesting experience.

Oh, the outdoors as a fridge/freezer is kind of neat too if not perfect. The bears may be hibernating (or not a problem in the first place), but there's a chance coyotes, raccoons, and squirrels may still find that stash interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
not too many bugs

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I live in a region that gets snowy winters,and it's good for atleast one thing.
The cold season kills off any wierd poisonus animals, we do not get the big poisonus snakes,spiders,or scorpions around here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join