It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any advantages to living in a cold climate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As snow has been laying on the ground in England for quite a while now, and I keep seeing threads about Ice ages, I just wanted to ask the people on ATS that come from the colder regions of the world if there is anything actually good about living somewhere cold?

I generally hate the winter anyway but this one is getting to be a real pain in the butt.

Can anyone convince me that there is actually something to be said for Cold days, Dark nights and walking around in Grey / Brown slush? Surely there must be a few positives?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Hi good buddy

I love living in the cold weathers-- whats' better than walkin through the woods in your boots when its snowing and hunting
Looking for old tom turkey to take a shot at to end up on your Christmas dinner table

I like the snow and the ice. It feels nice on my beard and just reminds me I'm one step away from being old Santa Claus himself (hardy har har).

Ronnie

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I'm built for the cold.. I burn in sunlight and if your someone who burns live in the land of ice and snow. The cold is also good for snowball fights, snow angels, and many winter sports. Cross country skiing is a healthy was to stay fit in the winter works your arms legs and core. You can also down hill ski, skate, snow shoe and shovel the drive way. Snow shoeing is a great way to get a tone of exercise, its a much better work out than plain old walking.

If you live in an area with both hot summers and frigged winters its great you get the best of both worlds, summer sports and winter sports.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Speakin of the cold weathers I thought youd' like to know that me and Rod finally got our new comforter set
. Thats' good but the guy is still actin like a blanket hog and stealin all the sheets
(and its FREEZIN down here!)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hehe, yes greenland whales seem to live very very long. Maybe that is an advantage. I myself rather would think: WTF, now I am freezing here for 120 years in the dark and they still call me a youngster. Time for the Star Trek team to get me home!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Soup is an amazing positive in the cold.Snow is a great insulater but isn't as good as a positive attitude.Here is another cold weather fact...we cold people actually invented the orgasm so we know when to quit doing it.Now THATS positive!!!
edit on 22-12-2010 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

yes certain diseases dont spread as easily than in warmer countries as bacteria doesnt like the cold...apart from that...NOTHING

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
My dogs do not need heartworm preventive because it never is cold enough long enough for the things to develop. I only rarely see ticks up here; however, when I lived about 300 miles south, the dogs and kids always were getting ticks on them. You get to go snowshoeing and ice skating. Winter is the busiest tourist time up here in the boonies. People come up for snowmobiling fun. Snow makes it easier to track deer during hunting season.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnnieMaine
Snow makes it easier to track deer during hunting season.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

If your not used to it, it can be a real pain in the butt. We get enough of the white stuff where I live. We're talking feet not inches. Our schools hardly close because we've adjusted to it. I myself hate it, but when I see people down south who have to worry about losing their homes due to hurricanes and tornadoes, I guess it's not that bad. I know when I was a kid all the kids looked forward to winter. Back than, I swear we got more snow than we do now!! We used to dig snow tunnels, make snowmen, igloos, forts, and have snowball fights. Not to mention the fun of sled riding. The only good things about snow for adults is there's something about snow that make Christmas feel like Christmas. Their is also a feeling of tranquility when you're in a warm house watching the snow fall outside. Other than that, snow really sucks unless you're a skier.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
No flies or mosquitos. You don't have to cut the grass. Sunburn isn't a problem.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
There are plenty of good things about the cold. Here's a few:

Lots of cold beer in a snowbank
Fire in the fireplace while the wind is blowing hard outside
Vodka or Grain alcohol in a snowbank
Hunting season
Football season
No more summertime bugs
Getting "warm" under a blanket with your sweetie
Getting "hot" under a blanket with your sweetie
Chili, with a little cheese on top and one of those cold beers on the side

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Your freezer space increases dramatically. We will set food outside in the winter to save freezer space. Also if I need to cool soup, I will set it outside and let nature do the work instead of my refrigerator.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

MMMMMMMMM! Chili!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
[
Your freezer space increases dramatically. We will set food outside in the winter to save freezer space. Also if I need to cool soup, I will set it outside and let nature do the work instead of my refrigerator.

And the bears are hibernating so you don't have to worry about them coming and stealing the food you have put out on the deck to cool.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
When it stays, day and night, below -15 celcius, you don't get the slush. Even when they throw dirt all over the road to ease the slipperyness. It stays cleaner looking. Frozen smooth and hard. Just have to scrape off the snow when it snows. It's definitely best if it just gets cold and stays that way for months.

No wet feet from rain.
High water table is frozen, so seepage is less. Basement stays drier. No flooding.
Way better to be 5 feet under snow, than under water.

No fleas, ticks, mosquitoes (unless something thaws, then the mosquitoes are there
).
If the power goes out, wood stove keeps you warm, snow keeps the food cold

The potholes in the roads smooth out as long as there is packed snow on the road.
No yardwork, except shovelling.
The yard is all white for the next few months, looks sooo clean.
If you're overweight it's easier to hide it

Coffee or hot chocolate with Sambucca and Baileys.

Speakin of the cold weathers I thought youd' like to know that me and Rod finally got our new comforter set . Thats' good but the guy is still actin like a blanket hog and stealin all the sheets (and its FREEZIN down here!)

Inchworm, you guys should have gotten both of the comforters, one for each of you.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I really can't think of anything positive about it. The roads are a hazard, as well as other drivers. When it snows, the stores fill up with people, like they expect some huge disaster to come. On a more personal note, the pain that I'm already in intensifies because of the cold. It's all I can do to move. It hurts that much.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well it sounds nice for some of you!

I would love to try hunting Turkeys! But in London there are only a few foxes and I doubt they taste nice

I live on the third floor so I can't really keep my beer outside or food outside, I guess I could hang it out of the window though.
A log fire sounds great! Have had one when I have been in the English countryside and there is nothing more pleasant, again an apartment in London makes it impossible.

Maybe it's London that's the problem and not the snow

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

No!

Don't even *think* or *wish* for it; the mind is very powerful.

I just located to the tundra aka midwest US not even 2 weeks ago.

California, where I lived, was bankrupt, and our family was getting taxed and billed overboard.

So I hoped a new opportunity would arise....and it did.

My husband purchased a start-up company to flip, and it's located in a freezy, snowy, flat, bland area.

I like snow-skiing but the closest slopes are hours away.

Think warm positive thoughts about how to get through it, or move away if possible...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

I want to move to the Mediterranean as soon as I can,
The darkness gets to me even more then the cold to tell you the truth, I even have one of those "light box" things that is supposed to simulate sunlight but it doesn't help much.

I wish I was a Bear so that I could hibernate

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join