It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart Saves Christmas: 9/11 responders healthcare bill finally passes due to republicans bein

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d8b586a544e6.jpg[/atsimg]
Source

WASHINGTON -- After a filibuster and threats of obstruction by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), the Senate unanimously passed a bill on Wednesday that would provide health care for first responders to the 9/11 terrorist attack. Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer reached a deal with Republican senators to support the bill earlier in the afternoon. (UPDATE: The House has also passed the legislation.)

Seriously...what was the right thinking in even blocking this bill to begin with...

This went from quiet blocking, to Jon Stewart taking 2 shows to slam the republicans...suddenly some of them saw the light.

Why do we need Jon Stewart to get crap passed?!! Why is it only in the face of personal humiliation will a person do the right thing?!!

grr
edit on 22-12-2010 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2010 by SaturnFX because: fixed title

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
We don't need Jon Stewart to get laws passed and he didn't.

We need freedom loving, constitution abiding politicians.

I find it hard to believe some blow hard like Stewart,
making jokes out of a matter that is not funny had anything to do with this.

This healthcare bill is outrages,
already major corporations like McDonald's and Walmart
don't have to participate, now how is that fair?
Forcing people to do things like carry health insurance is absurd.
No one should be forced into this situation and I mean NOBODY.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

This healthcare bill is outrages,
already major corporations like McDonald's and Walmart

So...I guess you have no clue what it is your opposing then?
This is not -that- healthcare bill...

oh just nevermind. here...take a cookie and just go sit down while grown ups talk!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Good for Jon! We need him to hold the feet of these scumball politicians to the fire! If that's what it takes to support the people who responded when we were attacked (regardless of where the attack came from - inside or out) then I'm all for it!

Go Jon! Remind them what honor is!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thinking Jon Stewart got anything passed is beyond ignorant....

Should have a site called BEYONDIGNORANCE.com for people like that.

Now you *grown ups* can dribble over Jon Stewart all day and all night all in this thread.

Using Jon Stewart for political correctness is like sending santa clause down your chimney to steal everything under the tree.

edit on 22-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Saturnfx,
Pretty much says it all sir,
But then again, this is'nt a 911 conspiracy thread is it ?
star for u.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Why was this even a problem to begin with? What heartless, soulless, disturbing entity would not want to provide Health Care to those who put their lives on the live on 9/11? Oh yes, the United States. Listen, its common sense stuff such as this that give a bad name to the deals made on these lands. I cannot believe this was ever even a problem. These folks risked their lives to save others and some of them even lost their lives!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Hahahahahahaha..............................I can't believe some of the people on here. Thant pos didn't get anything passed, and he gets fame for it? He's a mouth piece for the libs, that's all, do I smell hero worship, could he be the libs next darling?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
Thinking Jon Stewart got anything passed is beyond ignorant....

Should have a site call BEYONDIGNORANCE.com for people like that.

Now you *grown ups* can dribble over Jon Stewart all day and all night all in this thread.

Using Jon Stewart for political correctness is like sending santa clause down your chimney to steal everything under the tree.

edit on 22-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

I think when he took to his audience the events going on and blasted them across his show it made an effect
I think when he took the first responders on and played clips of senate republicans saying basically they couldn't be bothered and asked the first responders directly that thought, it had an effect
I think when he confronted Huckabee on his program, got him speechless, then asked if he might poke some of his team..that had an effect

I think before Stewart jumping on this, it was fairly quiet...and after, it became a nuclear issue with names taken.

Did he go and pass it personally? no..in the same way Rosa Parks didn't do any legislation..he was the mouthpiece of a movement ignored.

Sorry if you don't like the guy, but it really doesn't matter I guess.

In regards to you not supporting 9/11 first responders healthcare...well, I guess that doesn't matter either.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Hahahahahahaha..............................I can't believe some of the people on here. Thant pos didn't get anything passed, and he gets fame for it? He's a mouth piece for the libs, that's all, do I smell hero worship, could he be the libs next darling?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c851584a7bfa.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Yay Stewart! I believe it was his show that brought much needed attention to this issue because it was not in the media except for a small piece on CNN, then the very next day, Anderson Cooper reported on it as well as Fox News.(although the during the 2 segments Fox presented this info, not once did they say "republicans," yet they expressed their disdainfulness with such political neglect regarding this legislation) I think there were Repubs that in their heart wanted to support the bill over the past 6 years, but it appears they were catering to their constituency instead. I watch all the news stations and it is my opinion that Jon was a major catalyst in bringing this issue to the public, which in turn gave it more media play therefore contributing to the process' expediency.
Cheers to Stewart and thanks for the acknowledgement SaturnFX!

Seriously...what was the right thinking in even blocking this bill to begin with...

That's what I could not understand and the justification was 1) They had not had time to review and debate the legislation, 6 years was not enough
and 2) they were concerned about the handling of the money, but that is what this new bill encompasses, credibility and accountability with the distribution.

To those that question/condemn Jon's actions, perhaps one should consider the amount of gratitude the responders, their families, and the public hold in their hearts for his reporting of the issue. Politics aside, the final show for the season was a wonderful gesture and revealing, and has helped contribute to making the first responders enjoy some long awaited relief and closure. Blessed are their holidays and lives now I hope, and blessings from me to all that participated in the response to that tragic day.

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I find it revealing that the two members criticizing Jon Stewart said nothing regarding the actual cause Stewart was shinning a light on, and instead limit their contribution to partisan attacks.

Are you opposed to the bill that would give the 9/11 responders — people who suffer from the side effects of having remained prolonged time in the rubble trying to save others — the health care they need, in many cases, to survive? Are you opposed to Stewart bringing to light the fact that said bill was being held up? What exactly is your problem with this particular issue?

This may surprise you both, but, you can agree with someone on a particular issue while not necessarily endorsing that person’s political ideology or their position on other issues.

And besides, helping those that helped us on 9/11, to me at least, would be a no-brainer and one would think it would transcend political ideology and party affiliation. So I’d like to know what are your rational reasons for speaking against Stewart on this issue.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by aptness

I tell you why I would oppose this bill, it is part of a greater sham.
This is one of the tactics used to pass unconstitutional bills, I mean who WOULDN'T be for helping out these heroes except cold-blooded Republicans, right?
That is not my point, however. The greater sham is that congress is not making those folks that are responsible for the health problems of these heroes pay, and they won't. So, WE taxpayers have to pay. Who was it that stated it is completely safe to breathe the air. Who actually brought down the towers, Jon? WTC7?
Since we are so stupid, they can get us to forget these major discrepancies with the help of Jon Stewart, the serious "in-depth" journalist on the scene.
Maybe they could have taken it out of the banksters bonuses? Talk about "feel good" legislation...why didn't you bring that possibility up Jon, it is all unconstitutional anyway.

edit on 23-12-2010 by Stewie because: clarification

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I should not be forced at gunpoint to fund the healthcare of others.

7 billion dollars is enough to pay 70,000 people $100,000

For some reason I doubt there are that many "first responders" with ultra huge medical bills.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by SaturnFX

I should not be forced at gunpoint to fund the healthcare of others.

7 billion dollars is enough to pay 70,000 people $100,000

For some reason I doubt there are that many "first responders" with ultra huge medical bills.

100k in hospital bills...heh, thats nothing.

Think long term chronic care

top topics

join