It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China bars English words in all publications

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

China bars English words in all publications

www.breitbart.com

Chinese newspapers, books and websites will no longer be allowed to use English words and phrases, the country's publishing body has announced, saying the "purity" of the Chinese language is in peril....

"It is banned to mix at will foreign language phrases such as English words or abbreviations with Chinese publications, creating words of vague meaning that are not exactly Chinese or of any foreign language," it said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I guess this is to help insulate the Chinese population from the rest of the world. Absolute control of every written or spoken word may be coming to a country near you! Maybe this is a test of all humans of Earth. If the people of Earth allow this to happen to them, do they deserve what they get? I tend to think we get what we deserve.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I see it as means to close their " borders" to outside influence. Which could suggest some weird shenanigans going on over there. By pushing outside sources of influence will allow them to be more " secret" in their actions.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
They've just doomed themselves then. Telling people they can't is a sure fire way to insure that they will want to, and will do it. Whenever anyone says "You can do that," people find a way to do it.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Interesting timing! Closing off the Chinese citizens to what is about to happen. "Made In China" in English - perhaps not for long. A small indication of bigger things to come!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
France does the same thing, the idea being to protect the sanctity of your native tongue, or in France's case keep it from becoming a dead language

In China's case I think the goal is far more political, they're ridding themselves of any western influence, same mentality that is behind their pursuit of the Loongson chip, to remove foreign influence.
edit on 22-12-2010 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

The day i read a manufacturing label and is anything other than made in china, will be a great day in America..a great day!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Have fun reading the instructions on a "how to put together" label.
It is hard enough reading their ridiculous English.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

I twy to figer it out. Reding engwish deficolt.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Why don't all governments just boycott China and produce stuff themselves to give theor own countrymen jobs?

Why is everyone kowtowing to China?

And as for the language - I personally would like to see NO foreign language words anywhere in Australia...only English. We are after all an English speaking country.

And I mean English English not American English.

res

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

Oh like Goo day mate? instead of Good afternoon?

But I hear ya? i would love for this PC crap to go out the window. I'm so tired of everyone bowing down to other nationalities. Its our damn country, learn to speak our native tongue or get the hell out!

And with that...put anotha shrimp on the barbie!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Actually thats not as sinister as it seems.. What theyre trying to stop is people using chinglish - when chinese/english words are used together in a sentence when speaking or writing. Which is good as it gets extremely confusing trying to communicate when people speak / write that way. China encourages its people to learn foriegn languages and many study english - fact there are more people in china who speak english than there are people in america who speak english.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Yeah matey...and I am sure all Americans want to keep their special brand of English too

And there is nothing wrong with wanting to retain a national identity...as someone else mentioned previously.

May your and my special English live long

There will be shrimp (prawns) on the barbie this Christmas!!!

res

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well they must be really angry we gave them fake gold bars.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
actually they just wan't to improve their "Chinglish"

news.bbc.co.uk...

EDIT: oh my, those pics were funny, especially the tower one
sword carrying ragamuffins lmao
edit on 22/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
heres a theory. if china knows that in 2012 the world ends. the likelyhood of the chinese survviving is far better than anyone else. They have the largest population on the planet next to india. they are both well over a billion. if "the great purge" happens in 2012. at least the chinese and indians can claim america was a footnote in history and their cultural identity will survive if they keep exclusively to their languages.

america 300million england 120 million. china 1.6 billion, india 1.2 billion.

i dunno about u, but id rather see older societies stay alive than newer ones. the newer ones are too change hungry, the most successfull ones will have established a larger population base, hence better chances for survival of the whole species. trust me america is just an upstart, britain is too, compared to india and china.

edit on 22-12-2010 by matthewgraybeal because: spelling

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
i mean i love america, but we dont give 2 sh*ts about continutity of the species. we also don give 2 sh*ts about our laws. any corporation can come into america or britain and buy our laws. at least in china and india in modern times, their goverment doesnt pretend equality.

again i could be wrong, but wrong and right are really black and white.

edit on 22-12-2010 by matthewgraybeal because: spelling

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by drkid
Well they must be really angry we gave them fake gold bars.

Who gave who the adulterated Au? That little question will probably remain 'he said she said' for longer than we are going to live.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
France does the same thing, the idea being to protect the sanctity of your native tongue, or in France's case keep it from becoming a dead language

I don't blame them, we should do the same in America, if you come here and cannot speak or read the langugage too bad. I for one am tired of calling and getting people who are not understandable, have you ever called tech support?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Ah yes Tech support - one of those days I thought I was going to forget. I was on the phone for 9 hours to a man in India for a call that could have been 1/2 hour had we been able to communicate in English.

myself at the end of the day!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join