It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I put my headphone in the wrong jack(hole) and tapped into a neighbours conversation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
This was an extremely strange experience I had a few weeks ago. The scenario is as follows;

The kitchen is being decorated and so my computer is under a few sheets and I can't sit there on it, I'd be getting under the decorators feet. Seeing as I work online, I grab my old computer from under the stairs and set it up in my room. Oops, forgotten to grab my speakers from my main PC. Nevermind, my earphones will suffice. Only a temporary situation after all...

Fastforward 30 minutes, I've tried every jack on the front of PC and getting no sound, downloaded a ton of different drivers, still no luck. I again inspect the jacks, realise the proper jacks are on the back(I should have remembered, i had the same bloody problem when I bought it!).

Now for the weird part, I'm switching jacks and refreshing Youtube, trying to get sound. Hear some 'white noise' or w/e you call it in one of them(wasn't the right one). Back to Firefox, still no sound... Then I hear something, but it's not from my browser or any running programs, I know that much. What I heard was a conversation between a group of people. I really cannot describe it. It wasn't clear like true audio. It was as if I was in someones ethernet port in the corner of the room, picking up a group of people around a dinner table. As if I was somehow picking up sound from an off the hook phone or something. It was perculiar enough at the time to make me sit up and pay attention, then after look out the window to see if anyone across the street was eating dinner

I don't think there's a conspiracy here, or anything juicy for the fiends. I'd just be curious to know if anyone with knowledge on such technology could confirm this is possible. Or if anyone else has had similar happen?

I lost whatever I had after about 25 seconds anyway. Continued to play around with the jack, nothing. It's probably also worth stating that at the time I immediately felt/assumed that somehow the headphone jack was picking up audio from my internet usb jack, which was picking up # from someones internet line.

Or maybe I should book myself in at the doctors. I'm sane to my knowledge though

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Im sorry, I read the Thread Title and burst into Tears of Laughter

Damn my twisted mind.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
lol i can explain this kinda easy for ya.

i can do this with my pc allso.
my neighbors phone box is on the outside of there house facing my bedroom window.
if the speakers jack doesnt get good ground...
it pick's of the tv and phones.
it has to do with grounds lol
in a nutshell.

i though ta ghost was in my pc lol
when i first heard it lol

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Yup - it doesn't have to be just TV or phones. My old PC would occasionally pick up my neighbor's ham radio. Likewise the thing getting the signal doesn't have to be a PC. I once had a phone that picked up the Rush Limbaugh show.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
lol i can explain this kinda easy for ya.

i can do this with my pc allso.
my neighbors phone box is on the outside of there house facing my bedroom window.
if the speakers jack doesnt get good ground...
it pick's of the tv and phones.
it has to do with grounds lol
in a nutshell.

i though ta ghost was in my pc lol
when i first heard it lol

Thankyou! That's just what it sounded like, when you pick up the phone and someone on the other side has forgotten to put it down and you can hear a conversation in the background. Was just like that

I'll tell you it gave me a shock when it happened

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
reply to post by TheAmused

Yup - it doesn't have to be just TV or phones. My old PC would occasionally pick up my neighbor's ham radio. Likewise the thing getting the signal doesn't have to be a PC. I once had a phone that picked up the Rush Limbaugh show.

Thanks for the response. You learn something new every day!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I once (years and years ago) bled into a Jukebox at a Gentleman's Club half a block away with a 500 watt CB Linear...they heard me loud and clear LoL

...Needless to say it was at a bad time, as at the time, I was listening to and talking about a wireless phone conversation of her/them I was listening to on a scanner...(it can't be done on newer phones as they are to high in Freq and encoded now)

My bad...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

The FBI is tapping your phone lines. Cut off all wires leading into your house, and turn off all electronics. Throw away your telephones. Erase all your hard drives. Clear internet browser history. Tell the neighbors you are staying at your parents house for a while, then drive to Canada. DON'T get on a bus, the TSA will stop you. Take a car and then ditch it half way there and then buy a new one in cash or they will track the license plate. Sign a fake name and address for the new car. And don't buy a plane ticket, and don't ask for receipts at gas stations.

OH and don't forget to eat before you'll leave to soak up any water left in your stomach. You don't wanna have to be taking bathroom breaks at every stop. Good luck friend.
edit on 22-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Hmmm tres interessant. I'd guess that it's the wire in the headphone set. Sometimes a guitar cable does this when it's cheaply made, or coming apart. The grey Fender reissue vintage style cables do this, because Fender does try to utterly demolish any and every 'vintage' conception of the fine things they used to create.

Once, I picked up religious stations at the bottom of the FM dial. Chances are you picked up a remote baby monitor. These are beneath the dial on a standard FM radio set. That the signals are running through amplification stages may contribute to the fluke. At any rate, the cord may have acted like an antenna. Of course it may be computer related, of which I am unable to add to due to lack of knowledge.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ah yep. i once had a tape recorder in the shape of an apple...it was a novelty item but worked to play miusic, and we had no other power....
We left it on play one night, and went to bed, but nobody got up to turn it off....It ran and ran till it overheated or something because we were awakened by a radio playing faintly in the house...it took a while to figure it out, but the tape player was picking up a radio station and playing it through the speaker.....
Later i found out this is fairly common......

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

The FBI is tapping your phone lines. Cut off all wires leading into your house, and turn off all electronics. Throw away your telephones. Erase all your hard drives. Clear internet browser history. Tell the neighbors you are staying at your parents house for a while, then drive to Canada. DON'T get on a bus, the TSA will stop you. Take a car and then ditch it half way there and then buy a new one in cash or they will track the license plate. Sign a fake name and address for the new car. And don't buy a plane ticket, and don't ask for receipts at gas stations.

OH and don't forget to eat before you'll leave to soak up any water left in your stomach. You don't wanna have to be taking bathroom breaks at every stop. Good luck friend.
edit on 22-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

The FBI are tracking my british telephone line?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Oh you live in UK...in that case make a cup of tea and enjoy the revolution.
People in America will never stand up to their government, were too fat and lazy.
Just wait for FEMA camps to start popping up everywhere. People will think they're
being sent to an all you can eat buffet. *sigh*

But it's really not our fault is it? The government is poisoning our food & water supply...
and now we have new threats of cyanide in our food coming from California.
But hey maybe we'll lose some weight in attempt to dodge the terrorist food plot.
I digress...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Maybe that it's the wire in the mp3 headphone set.

new topics

top topics

join