It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Consciousness Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Anyone heard of this project? Appears to be legit, coming from Princeton and all.

"The Global Consciousness Project (GCP) takes this possibility as a starting point for a speculation that such fields generated by individual consciousness would interact and combine, and ultimately have a global presence. Usually, because we are busy with individual lives, there is little to produce structure in the field, so it is random and not detectable. But occasionally there are global-scale events that bring great numbers of us to a common focus and an unusual coherence of thought and feeling. To study the effects of a possible global consciousness, we have created a world-spanning network of devices sensitive to coherence and resonance in the mental domain. Continuous streams of data are sent over the internet to be archived and correlated with events that may evoke a world-wide consciousness. Examples that appear to have done so include both peaceful gatherings and disasters: a few minutes around midnight on any New Years Eve, the first hour of NATO bombing in Yugoslavia, the Papal visit to Israel, a variety of global meditations, several major earthquakes, and September 11 2001. "

Global Consciousness Project

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The question is, legitimate for what? Just because something comes from a well-known educational institution doesn't mean that they necessarily know what they are talking about.

Case in point: there is no such thing as a "worldwide consciousness."

Many within New Age want it to happen but it can never happen because we have such a large diversity of culture, religion and values on this planet. The only thing which would be shared (at best) is the lowest common denominator, which is not worth pursuing anyway.

This collectivistic mindset originates from the New Age idea that the end-all is to have everyone unite into a large Group Entity -- which most do in the discarnate dimensions after they leave their bodies. But that group consciousness would not be on a high spiritual plane because those who seek to combine into groups are inherently not on a high spiritual level. The more advanced souls are individualistic and do not have a collectivistic mindset; they strive to become a "Light onto Oneself."

However, if the GCP is aiming for meditating on a mass scale at designated times in order to lower crime, terrorism, etc., I believe they have something which is worth pursuing. People within the Transcendental Meditation (TM) movement have done this with a certain degree of proven success.

If the GCP is referring to organized, progressive meditation, then I am all for it. If they are just aiming for something that amounts to the bombed Harmonic Convergence of 1987, then I think I'll pass.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
A legitimate scientific study.

Have you read their premise or data? Or their procedures? They don't make any assertion of what is making random data becoming less random but just noting a correlation between worldwide human events and the less random data streams.

It seems you a dismissing it out-of-hand.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I think objectively what is being talked about is shared thought patterns. Like a lot of computers using the same operating system or software. A little of that is ok, but I worry about homogenous mono-culture. An analogy is some really great corn hybrid being grown everywhere. Say the right virus hits and BOOM you loose corn planet wide. Preserving Diversity in biology and thinking is VERY important. Many of the most important inventions and technologies were at some point rejected and critisized as crazy insane notions. I like barely contained chaos myself. Not a world full of corporate clones with manufactured moralities, desires, thoughts, activities and family units. I sometimes think that is the reason for Drug laws in the US, it is an attempt to produce corporate clones instead of wild, energetic, free thinking people. A lot of religions lean heavily on making everyone believe the same set of dogma.

If you want to create the best global mind, create it out of many little minds, It should be the War of ideas, viciously and passionately fought for and against. The more ideas the better. The arena(s) of Mind Warriors. And someone should always take devils-advocate views because it claifies the thinking pro and con on any subject.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Hmmmm...will have a look into that.

On the same thought path here is an organization based in India that is supposed to bring world-wide enlightenment by 2012 if not sooner. It is lead by a man and his wife who locals claim to be the last Avatar Kalki, who was sent to earth to bring enlightenment. They believe that after approximately 60,000 people have been enlightened by Kalki and his disciples, the rest of the world will basically follow along quickly, with the 60,000 converting the rest of the world with just a touch, or even a certain look. It is NOT a cult, as people do not give up their lives and family to receive his gifts. Still researching it myself, but thought I would pass along the link.

www.experiencefestival.com...

cheers,

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by radardog
A legitimate scientific study.

Have you read their premise or data? Or their procedures? They don't make any assertion of what is making random data becoming less random but just noting a correlation between worldwide human events and the less random data streams.

It seems you a dismissing it out-of-hand.

I identified the focus and goals which I don't find to be sound.

Give us a cogent argument to support your appraisal, as I did.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
What?! Are you serious? How would you know that the focus and goals are unsound without looking at their methods and data?! That's basically the definition of dismissing something out of hand!

You want a cogent argument to support my idea that it is a legit scientific study? Because it uses the scientific method in a very objective way. The best evidence I can give would be exactly what I'm telling you to do: Go read their methods! -- they have an entire page devoted to it, and I'm not about to paste the entire thing.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This is only about studying human consciousness and feedback on human attention (what the human attention is focused on). Nothing more.

If you understand just this part of that website, you'll understand what they're talking about and what the whole study is about. IMO It relates to morphogenetic fields, humans transmit something (some say it's electromagnetic energy) and with more humans (millions or billions) it combines and concentrates. That's it.

The Global Consciousness Project (GCP) takes this possibility as a starting point for a speculation that such fields generated by individual consciousness would interact and combine, and ultimately have a global presence. Usually, because we are busy with individual lives, there is little to produce structure in the field, so it is random and not detectable. But occasionally there are global-scale events that bring great numbers of us to a common focus and an unusual coherence of thought and feeling. To study the effects of a possible global consciousness, we have created a world-spanning network of devices sensitive to coherence and resonance in the mental domain.

Edit: Here's another explanation: When there is something big happening that is all over the media, and everyones attention (that is fueled with emotion) is on that event, it "spikes" on their meters.

From one of the pages in that link.

recent work, prior to the Global Consciousness Project, an array of REG devices in Europe and the US showed non-random activity during widely shared experiences of deeply engaging events. For example, the funeral ceremonies for Princess Diana, and the international Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan, created shared emotions and a coherence of consciousness that appeared to be correlated with structure in the otherwise random data. In the fully developed project, a world-spanning array of labile REG detectors is connected to computers running software to collect data and send it to a central server via the Internet. This network is designed to document and display any subtle, but direct effects of our collective consciousness reacting to global events. The research hypothesis predicts the appearance of coherence and structure in the globally distributed data collected during major events that engage the world population.

Just read through the page and it shouldn't be difficult to understand what they're talking about.

[edit on 7-7-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
TheBandit795,

I agree. It is pretty clear as to what they are talking about.

In drawing upon my own experience and research as a spiritual medium/mystic of many years in telepathy and group consciousness dynamics, as well as my study of history, religion, and culture, I don't believe that worldwide consciousness is achievable or desirable.

I would be happy to further discuss their findings once they are made available.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
lol

this is the entire process of the global transition. Everyone who has posted is taking part.

IT IS OKAY TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hmm....cryptic post.

Would you care to define "global transition" for us?

new topics

top topics

join