It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man-Eating Giants Discovered in Nevada Cave?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Seriously?

www.salem-news.com...

The legend

The Paiutes told the early settlers that after many years of warfare, all the tribes in the area finally joined together to rid themselves of the giants.

One day as they chased down the few remaining red-haired enemy, the fleeing giants took refuge in a cave. The tribal warriors demanded their enemy come out and fight, but the giants steadfastly refused to leave their sanctuary.

Frustrated at not defeating their enemy with honor, the tribal chiefs had warriors fill the entrance to the cavern with brush and then set it on fire in a bid to force the giants out of the cave.

The few that did emerge were instantly slain with volleys of arrows. The giants that remained inside the cavern were asphyxiated.

Later, an earthquake rocked the region and the cave entrance collapsed leaving only enough room for bats to enter it and make it their home.

Confirmation of the myth

As the excavation of the cave progressed, the archaeologists came to the inescapable conclusion that the Paiutes myth was no myth; it was true.

What led them to this realization was the discovery of many broken arrows that had been shot into the cave and a dark layer of burned material under sections of the overlaying guano.

Among the thousands of artifacts recovered from this site of an unknown people is what some scientists are convinced is a calendar: a donut-shaped stone with exactly 365 notches carved along its outside rim and 52 corresponding notches along the inside.

But that was not to be the final chapter of red-haired giants in Nevada.

In February and June of 1931, two very large skeletons were found in the Humboldt dry lake bed near Lovelock, Nevada.

More giants have been unearthed in other states...

archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

So this is not new, news?

Anyone can confirm this?

I hadn't read about it before.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Humboldt Museum

Local history museum with skulls of red-haired giants.
atlasobscura.com...

static.atlasobscura.netdna-cdn.com...

The skulls are kept in a back room,

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Death By Snu-Snu!!!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
That is a mormon thing, I bet.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Stan Nielsen (left) at Lovelock Cave, home of the red haired giants. Jaw from red haired giant (right) shown with plaster dental model from a normal modern adult for size comparison.

www.treasurecenter.com...

www.treasurecenter.com...

hearstmuseum.berkeley.edu...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I've heard the story before. Back around the turn of the century people were (supposedly) digging up the remains of giants pretty often. Usually from the "mound builders" areas or the western states.

What happened to all those remains is anyone's guess.

A pretty good website that lists many of these finds is here under the "Americas" link.

Giants - Fact or Fiction

I believe Loren Coleman (of Cryptomundo fame) is releasing a book called "True Giants" - a good stocking stuffer for the giant fan in your home.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux
That is a mormon thing, I bet.

You should probably know something about mormons before saying that........besides mormon religion is based in Utah, not Nevada.......

Yes ive heard of this before several times, if you do a search you can find info, there was also a special on TV about it.

Reportedly the Giants were read headed with beards, there are skulls in the museum of natural history , that were found from the caves.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
mathildasanthropologyblog.wordpress.com...

www.white-history.com...

www.white-history.com...

Above: Skulls recovered from the Lovelock Cave, where, according to Amerind tradition, the last of a red haired tribe, the Si-Te-Cah, were exterminated. The "long" nature of one of the Lovelock Cave skulls indicate White ancestry.
www.white-history.com...

Were there Europeans that tall during this era?

Not that I know of.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

hahahahaha. those silly mutant vikings, tryin to mess with those lil native americans. at least thats what they may be. personally, i think we know of about 70% of most species, and i think ther ones we will find most interesting are going to be deep undetrground or undersea. who knows, they may have been atlantean survivors, or past societies remnants. i know if we genetically modified ourselves to hulk-status, it would be a legend in a millenium, when they were increasingly rare/being forced away by the advancing of western society

local warriors would go hunt the "mutant" humans and the villiages would write fantastic stories about them, and call them ogres, and trolls, and cyclops, and titans. oh wait, it seems that this may already be plausible

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I'll be darn I didn't know they were authentic, I wonder why this information is resurfacing now?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

I've heard the story before. Back around the turn of the century people were (supposedly) digging up the remains of giants pretty often. Usually from the "mound builders" areas or the western states.

What happened to all those remains is anyone's guess.

A pretty good website that lists many of these finds is here under the "Americas" link.

Giants - Fact or Fiction

I believe Loren Coleman (of Cryptomundo fame) is releasing a book called "True Giants" - a good stocking stuffer for the giant fan in your home.

Thanks frogs

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Death By Snu-Snu!!!!!

I had to google that, lol

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

its the information age, disclosure if you are into that sort of thing. if the internet is getting talked about being regulated, i bet they are afraid that this information will disappear, just like the evidence of the giants found at the turn of the century. i mean afterall, it would be bad to learn that we killed off all of the other species on the planet that could possible grow into intelligent life and potentially be another species of humanoid. it also looks bad for our ancestors. they would be the greatest physical laborers, but were probably hunted out of fear, because they were different

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
...i was a kid the first time i heard about this - so, yeah, its not new news - but its still fascinating...

...8' is tall but not uncommon, even back then... osage ndns were often called giants too...

en.wikipedia.org...

Nineteenth-century painter George Catlin described the Osage as

"the tallest race of men in North America, either red or white skins; there being few indeed of the men at their full growth, who are less than six feet in stature, and very many of them six and a half, and others seven feet."

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

I understand what you are saying,

here is another take on the subject.

www.worldlingo.com...-0

Adrienne Mayor writes about the Si-Te-Cah in her book Fossil Legends of the First Americans [1] . She suggests that the 'giant' interpretation of the skeletons from Lovelock Cave and other dry caves in Nevada was started by entrpreneurs setting up tourist displays and that the skeletons themselves were of normal size. However, about a hundred miles north of Lovelock there are plentiful fossils of mammoths and cave bears, and their large limb bones could easily be thought to be those of giants by an untrained observer. As for the reddish hair, she points out that hair pigment is not stable after death and that various factors such as temperature, soil, etc can turn ancient very dark hair rusty red or orange.

So does this mean Adrienne Mayor is mistaken?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...i was a kid the first time i heard about this - so, yeah, its not new news - but its still fascinating...

...8' is tall but not uncommon, even back then... osage ndns were often called giants too...

en.wikipedia.org...

Nineteenth-century painter George Catlin described the Osage as

"the tallest race of men in North America, either red or white skins; there being few indeed of the men at their full growth, who are less than six feet in stature, and very many of them six and a half, and others seven feet."

So this may be the real deal, Wyn?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenerationXisMarching
reply to post by cluckerspud

hahahahaha. those silly mutant vikings, tryin to mess with those lil native americans. at least thats what they may be. personally, i think we know of about 70% of most species, and i think ther ones we will find most interesting are going to be deep undetrground or undersea. who knows, they may have been atlantean survivors, or past societies remnants. i know if we genetically modified ourselves to hulk-status, it would be a legend in a millenium, when they were increasingly rare/being forced away by the advancing of western society

local warriors would go hunt the "mutant" humans and the villiages would write fantastic stories about them, and call them ogres, and trolls, and cyclops, and titans. oh wait, it seems that this may already be plausible

LoL...
I hear ya...thing is that it's quite possible they were vikings or even Lumarians....there's another thought. Lumarians were supposed to be quite tall and would have been called giants in their own right.

Sad that we don't know more about this group of settlers to Nevada...and also sad that both the Red Haired Giants and the Natives felt the only way to cohabitate was to kill one another then ask ???'s later.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Udder bunch of BS

The Lovelock cave (Clovis culture) artifacts have been carbon dated from 9000+BP

The the oldest Paiutes have only been in area about 2000 BP

That is a 7000 year gap between to two.

Its a dreamed up story by some old archaeologist back in the x1930-40 to try to proves whites were there before native american.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Udder bunch of BS

The Lovelock cave (Clovis culture) artifacts have been carbon dated from 9000+BP

The the oldest Paiutes have only been in area about 2000 BP

That is a 7000 year gap between to two.

Its a dreamed up story by some old archaeologist back in the x1930-40 to try to proves whites were there before native american.

Yea, I read that, why is this resurfacing again.

DNA tribes

www.dnatribes.com...

A FEW months back I found some interesting new DNA evidence, native American DNA in eastern European contribution,
www.dnatribes.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
So this may be the real deal, Wyn?

...sure... the stories were told long before the cave was discovered in 31 - but - seperating fact from fiction is the big enchilada...

...i dont believe the giants were really giants or vikings or that they had red hair... i think they were ndns, like the osage, and their genetics allowed above average height because of many generations of abundant foods...

...when i was a kid (back in the 50s) i often heard the explanation that the giants were so tall because they were descended from the "star people"...

...theres quite a few tribes whose ancients believed some of their ancestors came from another world... was a fairly outlandish thing to say in white society back in the 50s but not so weird nowadays... funny how things come around...

...and about the cannabilism - i heard stories where these giants were called (translated into english) "soul eaters" and that part was always whispered, lol...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join