It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant MARS Pits revealed in Sharp Detail: Pictures!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Mars Caves?

Looking like space slug hidey-holes, huge pits gouge a bright, dusty plain near the Martianvolcano Ascraeus Mons in a picture taken between October 1 and November 1 by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).

Released in December, the image is among a series of new views snapped by MRO's HiRISE camera that show intriguing geological features on Mars. Each image covers a strip of Martian ground 3.7 miles (6 kilometers) wide and can reveal a detail about as small as a desk—and so far no sign of Star Wars monsters.
MRO's sister orbiter, Mars Odyssey, first noticed the two deep pits—which are about 590 feet (180 meters) and 1,017 feet (310 meters), respectively—a year earlier using its infrared camera, THEMIS

Down the Martian Hole

A sharp close-up of the the larger Martian pit revealed sediment and boulders (seen in a picture taken in fall 2010 by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's HiRISE camera), as well as hints of sand that was blown inside and trapped in the deepest and darkest parts of the hole, according to NASA. The holes are believed to be vertical shafts that cut through lava flows along the edges of the Ascraeus volcano. Similar features called pit craters—the result of the ground collapsing above a void—can be found on Hawaii's volcanoes

Martian Mud Volcanoes

Mud volcanoes—which also exist on Earth—form when wet, pressurized sediment buried at depth erupts onto the surface. The Martian mud volcanoes might be prime targets in the search for past life on the red planet, according to NASA. "If this mud is produced at depth, it could have brought up organic materials that may show biosignatures of some sort of ancient life on Mars," principal investigator McEwen said.

Source: news.nationalgeographic.com...:01#/mars-p its-mud-volcanoes_30638_600x450.jpg

I love it. Look down that hole. Tell me you don't want to be the frist person to explore that. Someday, somebody will-lucky person. Amazing picture. As they all are.

More of it. Give it to all to us NOW.

I always say this but just us having the technology to get these pics, let alone land there, is truly amazing and humbling in a way. Nothing else from Earth can do it. If we are the only living/thinking/ etc race in the universe, then we got a lot of work to do in this universe and it woud behove us to get to it.

I hope you enjoy. More pics at the article.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Wouldn't that just be so amazing? Taking tourist cave splunking to totally new heights.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Ah, subterranean home-sick blues.

Amazing find, thank you for sharing. Space dragons and brain spiders, seriously.

S+F

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
wow..awesome pictures !!!!

thanks for sharing this....they look scary

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

With huge spacesuits on. I can see a tear/rip happening about.... say.... 15 feet into the misson.

Next....

I think we need to get a well lit probe up there to go down those holes ASAP. Just for curiosity sake, if anything.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Looks like the C.H.U.D.S are comming to the surface to look for food.

but seriously. nice sink hole pics.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The article mentioned how the craters show evidence of wind-blown sand in them.

Can you imagine how much sand must have fallen down those pits already-and began filling them up?

Or, how many pits are there that are already filled up and/or unseen?

Could get a little dicy and very interesting REAL QUICK like.

God, to be there at that time. I wish....

new topics

top topics

join