It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Declassified: How to Fly a Harrier Jet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
www.wired.com...
So this is the end of the mighty Harrier.
more here:
www.pdfgeni.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'd love to fly one of these more than anything else on or off the market.

Good find!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Makes me want to wear a black armband or something.
The Harrier was an awesome machine.

Rev

edit on 22/12/2010 by revmoofoo because: My kingdom for mad spelling skills!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I was told it is very hard to fly and dangerous while changing to normal flight. Imagine using an old one to commute to work, no airfield nessesary.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
remember this commercial?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Amazing aircraft, was on an RFA support ship during a little exercise and the Harriers flew round and hoovered in front of the Bridge of HMS Ark Royal and then did a little bow before departing on exercise.. utterly amazing
I always wanted to go up in one of the trainers and experience one viffing..

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
As much as I love the Harrier, I don't think I would attempt to fly one because they have a reputation as a 'flying coffin'. Only the best daredevil pilots in the USMC fly these beasts today.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Jump jets are not gonna dissapear because we say goodbye to the old harriers.
This aircraft was merely proof of principal, and a very successful proof it was!
Well be seein these babys around for some time yet.......

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It makes you sad that a Great British legend is now out of service.I suppose people felt the same way about the spitfire when that retired too.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
As much as I love the Harrier, I don't think I would attempt to fly one because they have a reputation as a 'flying coffin'. Only the best daredevil pilots in the USMC fly these beasts today.

Sniff, sniff, no need to bring up the fact that we have just retired our Harriers... which is a deep shame... only last year the USMC AV8Bs where operating alongside the GR9s off HMS Ark Royal.. such a shame to see both go

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
So if I was mislead into thinking this info was declassified, will a swat team show up and try and arrest me? Will all of those who looked at the manual be jailed?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
www.wired.com...
more here:
www.pdfgeni.com...

MODS..PLEASE CLOSE THESE LINKS

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Because they lack color?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Because they lack color?

We still fly these jets and the information is still pertinent.
I'm sure you or anyone else, would not want to even lift a finger to assist anybody, who would want to exploit this material.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

www.wired.com...
more here:
www.pdfgeni.com...

MODS..PLEASE CLOSE THESE LINKS

The Harrier made its final flight with the British RAF last week, marking one end to the jet famous for being able to take off and land vertically. The jet's recently declassified flight manual shows just how extraordinary it is.

I'm going to assume you feel the links should be closed as the material is classified, however in the first link quoted above these are recently declassified manuals..

Apologies if I have made an incorrect assumption

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I think you may be a little paranoid. I'm sure it was declassifed. The plans for building an atom bomb were also declassified about 20 years ago. Today's wars are a little different than WW2.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I'm sure you or anyone else, would not want to even lift a finger to assist anybody, who would want to exploit this material.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I think you may be a little paranoid. I'm sure it was declassifed. The plans for building an atom bomb were also declassified about 20 years ago. Today's wars are a little different than WW2.

I'm very familiar with the material presented. However, there are a few items enclosed that needn't be reviled.
Normally, I would star and flag a post like this.
I wouldn't want to be sitting in my cockpit and have a problem, nor have my crew or wing, endangered by knowledge that could have been prevented.
The old axiom," Loose lips sink ships" still applies, particularly here.
edit on 22-12-2010 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by thoughtsfull

The Harrier has been around for 50 years, I know of one Sea Harrier in private hands, plus she has been the theme of many flights sims.. I feel these manuals add nothing to what is already known.

Edit to add: I know the US and other navies still operate the Harrier, indeed tho our GR9s have been retired, like the Vulcan can be called back into service should the need arise (which I think will sadly happen) so, no I would not want to help anyone.. however I still feel this material adds nothing.

Public Bid sought for Sea Harrier

A former MoD plane which would cost £16m brand new is going on sale to the public for a mere £15,000.

edit on 22/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

This is not true. Although the basic ideas were declassified a long time ago, there is no publicly available accurate engineering document with quantitative parameters for a validated design, and many aspects of simulation and triggering are still classified.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join