It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skype Goes Down. Millions Without Service.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I sure hope this get's fixed soon.. we have a show to do later this afternoon

gigacom.com

If you are one of Skype’s many users who use the service to make a living or to talk to your remote users, then you may be straight out of luck. The service this morning is down and the outage is affecting millions of users. So far there is no word from Skype or no comment on their blog as such. On Twitter, Skype posted: “Some of you may have problems signing in to Skype – we’re investigating, and we’re sorry for the disruption to your conversations.”

Sorry, not good enough! Skype is one of the key applications of the modern web.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, I thought it was just me.

I hope it goes back up soon.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I used it once years ago to see if I could use a portable media player as a sort of cell phone.

It kind of worked. After a 30 second test I never used it again.

Years later I was notified by Skype that I was under fraud investigation. Over a month I received all sorts of bizarre emails from them then it just went away and I never heard anything about it.

Screw Skype and their euro-trash software.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Man, I had something really important to say too........

Well not really, but it is the only way that I stay in touch with my friends around the world. Hope it is solved soon.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
well its kinda essential for the ATS live shows....

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It appears to be fixed now. At least mine is. It just logged me back in automatically and I received an email from them asking me to buy skype credits just now as well.

ETA: Ah maybe not. It just dropped again.
edit on 22-12-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

No wonder!!!! Damn it....I really need someones help via skype...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Thanks for letting us know! I was thinking it was just me. My whole Internet connection has been so crappy today. I have been using Skype for years with mostly positive results for those that have not tried it. Saves a lot of $$$

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Could be down for a few hours..

news.yahoo.com

Update (2:10 p.m.): A post on the official Skype blog blames the outage on "a problem affecting some versions of Skype" that's disrupting Skype's so-called "supernodes," which help direct Skype traffic. A fix is coming, Skype blogger Peter Parkes writes, but it could take a "few hours" before service returns to normal.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
i am not amused
bah that is not a nice xmas prezzi by skype

what about our show?
supposed to start in 1 hour
hey i am addicted to that

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Why do these things always happen on Euro show night? *Angry face*

It better hurry up and fix, anyway. Those 2 arrows spinning round are making me dizzy...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It just came back for me.....

woohoo

oops...spoke too soon....I have the main screen but nothing is getting through...

edit on 12/22/2010 by tribewilder because: and then the donkey said "I'll take the udder one"

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
maybe it is due to the weather
skype has a snow problem!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I tell you what it is - extremely frustrating! I don't wish to spend my night sitting here in the hope that the grey will turn green and we'll get on air. Doing my head in man!

Every time they update it something goes wrong. Whether it's the call quality, drop-outs, being a completely mad set-up that no one can understand for days, or the one that just takes the biscuit - no service at all.

Gah.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I upgraded to the newest version and now my service is fine.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

know what you mean
it drives me crazy too

and i even can.t upgrade to the latest newest version - i have that already

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I upgraded as well to the Dec 14th version and went green...but nobody else is on, so what good is it???

Guess I'll just talk to myself for a bit longer..wish I wouldn't keep arguing with myself though..

edit to add: according to the Skype website,

19,059,070 people online right now Every minute of every day, millions of people around the world use Skype to keep in touch – for free.

all those people and not one of them in my contacts...

Tribe is sad....

edit on 12/22/2010 by tribewilder because: I wanted to add how pathetic this is making me seem

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I have the latest version as well..

Still no log in here in my corner of Virginia..

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

germany still down too

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Does anyone know why it went down? Was it a cyber attack, or weather, perhaps? I've been with Skype since they started a few years ago and this never happened before. They have the worst customer service so I would never bother to email them. They must be swamped anyhow. Hope they come back up soon - I just renewed my phone number and service for 2011

top topics

<<   2 >>

join