It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Evolution of Being

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I have somewhat a theory that I have noticed by observation of my peers and the world around me, it goes something like this...

First we begin as Theist born of love and innocence, then we develop a sort of Gnosticism which somehow turns metamorphs into Atheism, then in turn transforms into Agnosticsm which ultimately Evolves into Theism.

This is something I am observing at the moment and I could be incorrect in my observations and also leaving out some others who may wish to be noticed but I am currently trying to develop a (excuse me)... "my" own special theory of the "Evolution of Being"

your thoughts ?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

I'm a Gnostic Theist who believes in evolution, what are your thoughts about that?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

your thoughts ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/503416bbb037.gif[/atsimg]

First we begin as Theist born of love and innocence, then we develop a sort of Gnosticism which somehow turns metamorphs into Atheism, then in turn transforms into Agnosticsm which ultimately Evolves into Theism.

How on Earth you come up with this nonsense I don't know. How do you arrive at the conclusion that all 'athiests' become agnostic and somehow then 'evolve' back into theists? That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER and I seriously believe I am dumber for reading it.

Nice try attempting to combine Evolution and Religion into one Being by the way, and please don't try and play Mr Innocent and pretend you don't know what I am talking about, that got old several Evolution threads back.

edit on 22/12/2010 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
How on Earth you come up with this nonsense I

I am not quite sure

it may have something to do with being around long enough to make these observations...

edit on 12/22/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

You must have a very limited amount of people to 'observe' then.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I have somewhat a theory that I have noticed by observation of my peers and the world around me, it goes something like this...

This is something I am observing at the moment and I could be incorrect in my observations and also leaving out some others who may wish to be noticed but I am currently trying to develop a (excuse me)... "my" own special theory of the "Evolution of Being"

your thoughts ?

No one is born a theist. If someone has been born a theist, please clue me in. Were you born a theist? Did you come into this world with knowledge of god and believing in god? No, you were and are taught theism. If anything we are born agnostic atheists, without knowledge and lacking belief of god/gods. Guess it's back to the drawing board?
edit on 12/22/2010 by SpaceJ because: thought + fix

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
But you know what Cosmic, part of your theory is extremely correct. The part where you say gnosticism turns into atheism. There is a phrase tossed around a lot that goes something like "if more people actually read the bible, there would be a lot more atheists". Credit where credit is due, it was said by Isaac Asimov, "Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Children are born as atheists, indoctrinated into theistic belief systems, and then choose their own paths once they hit a certain age. Your value as an individual isn't decided by whether or not you choose to be an atheist or a theist but rather by the actions you take towards other members of the human species and the world around you.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Children are born as atheists, indoctrinated into theistic belief systems, and then choose their own paths once they hit a certain age. Your value as an individual isn't decided by whether or not you choose to be an atheist or a theist but rather by the actions you take towards other members of the human species and the world around you.

when we are kids our parents are God and authority it would seem... After we reach a certain age to know right and wrong or to be disciplined I would say that children know this via the parents.

call this indoctrination or whatever one will but this is not limited to the english speaking culture nor and theistic faith.

Kids (believe) in the power of their parents... hence Theist !

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Kids (believe) in the power of their parents... hence Theist !

I disagree, kids are born self-centered and are raised to believe in the power of their parents, and what about children who have no parents? Your theory has more holes in it than a Polish submarine.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Given that I wasn't born a theist, I think your hypothesis is standing on very weak legs

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I believe I understand the point you were making and I also see the humor / irony / contradiction floating around somewhere in time and space. Which not many of the other comments seem to want to reflect upon before shooting your star down.

Which is a shame, because what happens now and every minute of everyday is important to think twice about and reflect upon. Individuals thinking outside the box and experimenting with ideas is how we learn, grow and develop a better understanding of each other and a way to finding more knowledge and Truth.

Ideas that break away from the mainstream status quo always get ridiculed, rejected and finally shot down by most. But it is that kind of thinking that has gotten us this far in the first place.

I recommend that everybody read all posts twice and reflect upon the parts you don't understand. Then ask a question before rejecting things so quickly. The Truth is in all things at all times if you look for it hard enough.

But hey most of us are too afraid too lazy too ignorant and too stuck in our own ways of thinking to give that shot

top topics

join