It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Toast To A Remarkable Leader: Speaker Nancy Pelosi

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Yeah, even the Washington Examiner thinks she was a flop: Closing the Book on the Worst Congress.

Pelosi shouldn't go away mad (although I'm sure she will as she is a shrill termigant!), she should just go away though!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

wow, i am hearing the same stuff a palin thread.

lol, what about the "we have to pass it before we see what's in it" comment?
that was easy to swallow, eh? NOT!

same type of attacks, almost word for word but more reasonable.

actually i'm glad she's gone, never did like her.

edit on 28-12-2010 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Also, I would like to have some real evidence that would validate your claim that this is the most despised Congress in American history. Remember Congress was not popular when it passed laws mandating desegregation, voting rights, and other civil rights acts during the 1960's. Now EVERYBODY, including Republicans, acknowledge that these reforms represented progress for the country. They ignore the fact that most Republicans voted against them.

edit on 25-12-2010 by Sestias because: (no reason given)

Just to follow up on the most despised Congress in American history question. Here is an article I read recently about it, The Most Hated Congress Ever, from the Atlantic Wire.

Lurking under our nation's beautiful Capitol dome is the most-hated Congress in history, with a 83 percent disapproval rating, according to Gallup's Jeffrey M. Jones. Only 13 percent of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing, the worst rating since Gallup began tracking the sentiment in 1974 and one percentage point worse than the previous low in July 2008 when gas prices were at record levels.

As you can see "Most Hated" is judged from when Gallup began tracking this 1974. So could there have been a more hated Congress in history, sure. But this is the most hated in the last 36 years.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thanks for the link. I appreciate people citing real sources, even when those sources are somewhat biased.

Frankly, I haven't been crazy about this Congress either. IMO they watered down a lot of legislation, like the health care bill, that would have been a real milestone if passed as originally written by the House. But I think this Congress is a whole lot better than the Bush one. My point is that some of the dissatisfaction with the Congress comes from the left, because it hasn't been progressive enough. It's been trying to stay in the center but has ended up pleasing no one.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Huffington Post

Speaker Nancy Pelosi will relinquish the gavel to the perpetually tanned, lachrymose Republican leader John Boehner when the new Congress convenes next January. It will be four years after that January 4, 2007 day when she "broke the marble ceiling" and became the first woman Speaker in the two century history of the House.

At the time, Republican pundits mocked Democrats for the choice of a "San Francisco liberal" woman as Speaker, suggesting she'd be a weak leader, unable to control the conservatives in the ever disputatious Democratic party, and easy to burlesque in campaigns across the country.

But this was Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi, raised in a tough Baltimore Italian political family, who imbibed politics with her mother's milk. Republicans soon discovered that Democrats had chosen not just the most progressive, but also the most effective and powerful Speaker in memory.

This is a fitting tribute to a remarkable leader as she relinquishes her post early in January and becomes House Minority Leader of the Democrats.

I've seen very little good about her on ATS; most of the threads and posts I've seen have been virulently, spitefully, contemptuous of her, often attacking her personal appearance rather than the issues she stands for. This is possibly because the political grounds for the attack are difficult to justify. It's hard for some to admit that she is an effective leader, whether they agree with her positions on the issues or not.

But she'll be back, in a less prestigious role, in the new Congress next year. She will still be fighting for her progressive agenda.
edit on 22-12-2010 by Sestias because: formatting

edit on 26/12/2010 by Mirthful Me because: BBCode.

Nothing like the elite talking about the elite. The way that was written you woud think she was Royalty.
"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people". John F.Kennedy

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pinchanze

Re: The JFK quote. The Huffington Post has the same right to the open marketplace of ideas as you or I do. Just because it is intelligent and articulate doesn't mean that people should discount it. Are we to let only stupid people have a voice in our country?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
no one is saying it....those california politicians.....dahannnggga..!!
there is a strange spirit there, i swear
i can discern spirits

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

reply to post by pinchanze

Re: The JFK quote. The Huffington Post has the same right to the open marketplace of ideas as you or I do. Just because it is intelligent and articulate doesn't mean that people should discount it. Are we to let only stupid people have a voice in our country?

Hey Sestias!

Are you saying that most of the the reponses in this thread come from stupid people because we didn't use fancy words? Please! I have only been a member here for a short while and I don't think I have ever read such horse poop than what has been described in that Nancy Pelosi post. Can you honestly tell me or show me from all the posts on ATS where people have used words like that? Pelosi has had the worst approval ratings of any Speaker since1974. The worst woman Speaker now that she got the boot. That Post article is a little in shambles now. Peace!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Even the Washington Examiner? That is biased toward the ultra-conservative agenda even more than the Huffington Post is biased toward the left.

edit on 31-12-2010 by Sestias because: format

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join