It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Of The Craziest Things That The U.S. Government Is Spending Money On

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Thought this was an eye opener in light of the current economic disaster. Seems the FedGov is still passing out the millions to those who seek to line their pockets under the pretense of research and other things. The list below I posted just the top 5 so click the link to see the rest of the wasteful spending the US Gov is doing.

#1 A total of $3 million has been granted to researchers at the University of California at Irvine so that they can play video games such as World of Warcraft. The goal of this “video game research” is reportedly to study how “emerging forms of communication, including multiplayer computer games and online virtual worlds such as World of Warcraft and Second Life can help organizations collaborate and compete more effectively in the global marketplace.”

#2 The U.S. Department of Agriculture gave the University of New Hampshire $700,000 this year to study methane gas emissions from dairy cows.

#3 $615,000 was given to the University of California at Santa Cruz to digitize photos, T-shirts and concert tickets belonging to the Grateful Dead.

#4 A professor at Stanford University received $239,100 to study how Americans use the Internet to find love. So far one of the key findings of this “research” is that the Internet is a safer and more discreet way to find same-sex partners.

#5 The National Science Foundation spent $216,000 to study whether or not politicians “gain or lose support by taking ambiguous positions.”

Source

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Just imagine how mush money is spent on murders, from american backed groups etc...

Thats more absurd if you think about it.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by andyhello23

More absurd, yes it is. Too bad there isn't a list of those top 20 uh!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
And let's not forget about the billions spent so that counrties won't go to war with each other (Iran and soforth)...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
More unconstitutional spending of our money.

The entire government is nothing more than criminally corrupt buttholes.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Well, the examples from the topic of this thread would be hilarious, if they weren't so darn INSANE....

Here is my favorite *top* instance of waste:

#15 The U.S. Census Bureau spent $2.5 million on a television commercial during the Super Bowl that was so poorly produced that virtually nobody understood what is was trying to say.

My family ignored the census (did not complete) entirely.....

Here is the instance that I find most reasonable out of the list:

#18 A pizzeria in Iowa was given $60,000 to renovate the pizzeria’s facade and give it a more “inviting feel”.

My logic about this is that at least they were spending money on (probably) a small business, and in turn, that would increase revenues that would eventually stimulate the economy a bit. However, why the feds are spending on one individual pizzeria in Iowa wreaks of campaign donator, special interest, fill in the blank....

Interesting topic. Thanks.

edit on 22-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I hear all of ya!
About all I can do is shake my head at this insane waste of OUR money. As well shake my fist also.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Scariest thing isn't even listed..............

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Your killing me here 420, what??????
The "war on drugs" I bet. THAT is a waste of money.
edit on 12/22/2010 by mikelee because: Add

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is what we've been pushed to do.

Reducing the amount taken from us the gov can waste will never happen so the best we do is to yell and scream and wheel and deal to make sure wasted money gets wasted in our respective states and communities.

Makes me sick.

There was a poster up here, I forget who exactly, who told me in a thread that we elect our politicians to get that money. The more money they get the better. As though it just wasnt an option to not give the fed that money or to not accept the dirty blood money.

Congress is just a game of Hungry, Hungry Hippos. And our dumb asses see every cent, as long as its wasted at home, as a winning score.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Or how bout the wasteful spending on unconstitutional social programs, or illegal immigrant expenditure. The giving away of 170 million to Haiti every year since 1974? handing over tax payers money to mexico exceeding 200 million? It just keeps going and yet....and yet ... true American citizens are losing their jobs, houses and anything else you can think of, but ohhh no! We cant help the citizenry, that might be offense to muslims, christians, illegal immigrants and anything of the like!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
4 million dollars earmarked for Cannibis eradication? Billions are spent growing the lovely plant.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

The current canna laws in the US are ignorant and serve no other purpose than those self serving ones to law enforcementt. Its time for a change for sure and we need to vote "yes" on any ballot where its to be voted on.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

join