It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entertainment and karma... your thoughts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
As we all sit and watch a movie, television, go to a live performance etc. and have thoughts about what we are seeing in front of us (weather it be fact or fiction based), do those thoughts effect our karma?

If I'm watching a movie that is about WWII and I'm cheering on the US while they tear apart the Nazi's am I creating negative karma for myself for having such thoughts?

When it comes down to it, it's very improbable to believe that we can not witness something (as I said fact or fiction), think about said thing [in this case something bad, like someone being killed], and not have a consequence that effects our very soul, our nature, our way of thinking.

So, if I'm watching a Nazi in a WWII film being killed and inside I'm thinking "Good riddance!", does that effect my karma? Am I allowing myself to just be entertained or am I allowing myself to judge someone based on what I see in such entertainment without knowledge of who this person really is/was/is supposed to be?

What I'm getting at here is, is that we allow ourselves to be influenced everyday by many different things; some of these things positive, some negative (some days one more so than the other). But are we held accountable for thoughts while being influenced? Is it because we were influenced in the first place that led to these thoughts, and now we are held accountable from the start?

Obviously this can go much deeper, prior feelings and emotions will play into the roles of characters of fiction that are being played out right in front of us, so right there we have influence - so would the accountability start from there then?

I actually didn't know I'd end up typing this thread up like this, but more came out as I typed [what I'd thought would be] a simple question.

So, to simplify what I've said above - do our thoughts we have while watching any form of entertainment, good or bad, effect our karma?

I believe in love & light, but I also believe in darkness. When I see darkness being torn away by light, I can't help but to be happy about it. However sometimes it doesn't feel right, almost like we're being fed anger, hate, and violence like it's candy and we're 5 year olds at a candy store. I enjoy action movies, does that effect me more so than I once thought?

Comments?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

"Entertainment" is simply a form of vicarious experience. Garbage in, garbage out. I'm not sure that's necessarily a karmaic thing, but it undoubtedly influences your thought patterns and thus your consciousness and your actions.

Pay careful attention to what you allow to permeate your mind. If you think your consciousness is being negatively affected by what you're watching/reading/etc., it probably is, and your time could be better spent.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
reply to post by highlyoriginal

"Entertainment" is simply a form of vicarious experience. Garbage in, garbage out. I'm not sure that's necessarily a karmaic thing, but it undoubtedly influences your thought patterns and thus your consciousness and your actions.

Pay careful attention to what you allow to permeate your mind. If you think your consciousness is being negatively affected by what you're watching/reading/etc., it probably is, and your time could be better spent.

I was actually leaning towards the same type of understanding, however, entertainment is just that - entertainment. If we can allow ourselves to 'live in the moment' and enjoy what we are watching (or however you're being entertained) without it adhering covertly to your beliefs or anything of that nature, then you should be able to think irrationally when it comes to what is entertaining you without consequence in essence... although I believe that is a dangerous way of putting it.

Maybe someone else with an open mind can give their comments?

new topics

join