It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the attention of Moderators and the site owner - We need a dislike flag on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I'm a relatively new member and am not very familiar with the rating systems. I do think it is important to give the most exposure to those threads that contain important and credible information. It is a shame imo if someone has invested a great deal of time and effort into presenting some relevant info only to have it lost in the filing cabinet
edit on 22-12-2010 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by skywalker_

skywalker,

You wouldn't gain anything as the posts and threads are equally evaluated by ones we think beyond as by the ones we think worthy so the thing ends up which gets the most flags, mybe the "beyond" ones would. It would depend on how many there are on each side from different ones point of view.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
If the point of "I Agree" stars is to show support the same should apply both way.

Here's the difference as I see it. If you agree and have nothing new to contribute (since the post author already said it for you) then the star allows you to show that support. Actually, stars are also used to show a
for a post that's well done, but you don't necessarily "agree" with. I frequently star and/or applaud posts with which I'm in complete disagreement, but I thought the author did a good job presenting their case. I can appreciate a well written alternative view, and from a reader's perspective would much prefer to read something well written with which I disagree, than a poorly presented case where I agreed with the conclusion.

Many times I read through threads and think to myself, "Oh, don't be on my side, you're tainting us all".

If you want to disagree, you should have to present a counter case, not just click some sort of
button. It's a discussion site. Otherwise, we could just go with an opening post and do polling buttons from there. We want to know what you think, and also why you think it. It's about the conversation. That's where the intellectual stimulation occurs.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

edit on 22/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

And I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, or something.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Absurd thread = any thread I personally don't believe in.

As an atheist agnostic, I would then be required to negative flag any and all religious threads, because they are kooky and promote ignorance

As a liberal, I will negative flag any conservative thread, because their world model is incorrect in my opinion.

do you see where this is going?

People do -not- know how to use things responsibly. If you want a thumbs up/down system, go to youtube and see how wonderful that is working out for them

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
How about..

to flag a thread, it costs you 100 stars..that way one must truely consider if they want to flag a topic. and flagging a topic is only done by people whom have earned enough "wisdom points" through articulate postings and getting stars.

Thats a good way to weed out the garbage and random flaggings just because you like some guy...

Create a currency of intellect and wisdom.
edit on 22-12-2010 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Then I agree with the remove all star options. People who are involved in an agenda can also abuse this thing.

Also, not everyone who stars a post cares. Some people just want to thumb a post.

Sure I can do what you say if neg stars were included. But should not those who agree also state why? Just the negatives?

I think unless it's both ways it will be abused regardless..
edit on 22/12/2010 by badw0lf because: urrg dark kboard suck in the dark

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Then I agree with the remove all star options. People who have involver an agenda can also abuse this thing.

Also, not everyone who stars a post cares. Some people just want to thumb a post.

Sure I can do what you say if neg stars were included. But should not those who agree also state why? Just the negatives?

oi 2k-er, you can take my 11k stars when you pry it from my cold, dead avatar!

link   
I disagree!! We have new members that start out slowly, young people that are learning. Its a very negative response. All members of ATS should have rights to post without feeling humuilated by a dislike flag. Come on people let's be tolerant - who knows "you" just might learn something!

link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Then I agree with the remove all star options. People who have involver an agenda can also abuse this thing.

WTF?

ya lost me..

edit on 22/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

WTF?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

WTF?

Why YOu !!!

*shakes fist*!!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Also why not have a dislike flag for the actual poster, so when it reaches a certain amount a group of people go round to his house and beat him up, that will teach him for being so unintellegent,

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I think it's a bad idea, the star system shows how many people found a post a) inspiring b) educating c) insightful or d) funny as hell and made their day.

Or at least it is supposed to show that, it's not a perfect system, but it usually works. As someone said though, a negative star system could be ripe for abuse.

The best thing to do is, if you disagree with a post, regardless of how many stars it has, post that you disagree and then go on to explain why.....if you agree star, no explanation needed really, the person you are starring has obviously made the point.

What I think we should see is a system where you can flag a member as a toerag, you know the ones who seem to be here just for a nasty argument, post propoganda and call names every other post? If 50%+ of members flag said person a jackass, they could get a temp post ban, 3 strikes and see ye later! This could weed out the troublemakers fairly and just.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

The way I see things...there are certainly groups that would spend time negging to the point of censorship/deletion. I am somewhat surprised that ats has not gone that route. Although the system is not 'perfect', because many times the best threads get buried out of being TOO deep to stay at the surface, it does work very well. Besides, the zionists are already moving, worldwide and quite systematically, at censorship. It will be here soon enough, because they are not going to curb their worldquest.

I find myself handing out a few stars here and there, and would weary if I starred everything I agree with. I would absolutely expire if the neg star system came in to place. It takes too long for the star to process, first off, and one does burn out as the thread progresses, to the point that posts are not starred when they ought to have been.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

edit on 22-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

to flag a thread, it costs you 100 stars..that way one must truely consider if they want to flag a topic. and flagging a topic is only done by people whom have earned enough "wisdom points" through articulate postings and getting stars.

Create a currency of intellect and wisdom.

This would NOT ensure integrity all around, but it would definitely put a strangle hold on "drive by" flagging...great idea.

Though, I would not be able to participate with a negative point count, but then again, it might motivate others to contribute quality posts so they would be able to acquire the points necessary to flag.

Win-win..!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

VROOOOOO.......FLAG................OOOOOMMMM....

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by facelift

VROOOOOO.......FLAG................OOOOOMMMM....

Exactly my point..!

Well said dude...check ur U2U now for a special holiday present!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join