It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The WikiLeaks strategy: Bank of America buys up abusive domain names

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The WikiLeaks strategy: Bank of America buys up abusive domain names

www.finextra.com

Bank of America has snapped up hundreds of abusive domain names for its senior executives and board members in what is being perceived as a defensive strategy against the future publication of damaging insider info from whistleblowing Website WikiLeaks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Ex-Merrill Lynch Employee Predicts What Will Emerge In The Wikileaks Bank Bombshel
Bank Of America Sets Up Swat Team To Combat Wikileaks

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well it looks like the bank of america really does think it is in the line of fire from wikleaks.
'According to Domain Name Wire, the US bank has been aggressively registering domain names including its board of Directors' and senior executives' names followed by "sucks" and "blows'
These boys made a swat team to deal with the affects and this i probley it in action.
Assange has been quoted saying something like this information could bring down a bank or two.
There is specutation that he is refeering to the bank of america..

www.finextra.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
On one hand it is funny. They add "sucks" or "blows" to the end of the bank president's name and register the domain. Same for vice pres.

Obviously there is something to the allegation that the bank has done something wrong. Furthermore, by their own actions with the domain names, it tells us that the wrong doing will be tied to the top executives of the bank -- otherwise why would they bother with the domain names??

The bank expects there to be a huge reaction from the public. Their obvious panic is suggesting something really big. I can hardly wait!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I can't help but laugh at the approach, doesn't their CIO understand that they would have to lock down thousands to tens of thousands domain names, if not more, to keep someone from getting MizterMoneyManajerSuhks.com and filling it with so many reference tags it shoots up onto the Google front search results page when someone looks for info on Mister Money Manager?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Talk about desperation. Like someone couldn't come up with some sort of variation on the ones they think of.

TFN

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lhuhikwdwoo
I can't help but laugh at the approach, doesn't their CIO understand that they would have to lock down thousands to tens of thousands domain names, if not more, to keep someone from getting MizterMoneyManajerSuhks.com and filling it with so many reference tags it shoots up onto the Google front search results page when someone looks for info on Mister Money Manager?

I think its called desperation my friend lol

I mean honestly, if one person there actuly sat down and looked at what they were doing, you would have thought someone would have said "hang on a sec, im not quite sure about this". But then again that would require them to think......thats asking alot.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This is akin to mopping while the water is running uncontrolably.

One - it has no point.

Two - everyone can see them for the fools they are.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I gotta wonder about the IT folks that are actually doing this. I believe this would come very close to my line in the sand, if not crossing it, and would cause me to tender my resignation.

Course, I would be doing what I could to figure out what BofA was afraid of before I quit. I have worked with BofA by way of another client. They weren't exactly nice people to begin with... or very bright.
edit on 12-22-2010 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Damnit, that's the final straw with BofA. I've banked with them since I got my first account in high school for my first job. My mother is military so we've moved around constantly and BofA is everywhere. I've slowly been getting tired of their nonsense with ridiculous fees and holds on payments, etc. I've been looking to bank at a credit union around the corner, but now I can officially say I'm going to go open an account.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

this is the way everyone should have been doing it all along: local and small.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Bank of America doesn't own anymore the most important website that they have to control.

www.bankofamericasucks.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
They will pull some strings and get the domain name if they really want it.

Originally posted by wavemaker
Bank of America doesn't own anymore the most important website that they have to control.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
They will pull some strings and get the domain name if they really want it.

Originally posted by wavemaker

They will probably just convince the DHS that any attack on them would be damaging to national security and the DHS would force ICAAN to grab the domain name and redirect it to a seizure trashcan.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

A fine way for the bank to spend it's profits after throwing so many people out into the street.
If the $ had ever been used to help others what a world this could have been.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
On one hand it is funny. They add "sucks" or "blows" to the end of the bank president's name and register the domain. Same for vice pres.

Obviously there is something to the allegation that the bank has done something wrong. Furthermore, by their own actions with the domain names, it tells us that the wrong doing will be tied to the top executives of the bank -- otherwise why would they bother with the domain names??

The bank expects there to be a huge reaction from the public. Their obvious panic is suggesting something really big. I can hardly wait!

This whole Wikileaks soap opera is just the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it?

With its cast of characters numbering in the thousands it seems, I get on here everyday just to read about the latest installment of this massive snafu, and to see who'll be scrambling next to try and avoid the fallout.

Now THAT's entertainment!

top topics

join